Octane .45 vs Griffin Revolution .45

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

CodeSection

Octane .45 vs Griffin Revolution .45

Post by CodeSection »

I was pointed to this forum by someone on another forum. I have tried to read about the Octane and Revolution and only could find a very narrow discussion with them involving a 3 lug attachment. As a newbie, I was hoping to find a feature comparison that would help me become an informed consumer.

My background. Recently purchased a CZ Scorpion. I now want a suppressor that I could use on it as well as on my Sig P228 9mm and Sig P229 .40. Initially, started researching the differences between the Octane and the Ti-Rant suppressors since I've read good reviews on both.

I read a post that compared the Octane and Ti-Rant something to the effect:

- They both are similar in size
- They both can be disassembled
- Supposedly their pistons can be changed without a tool
- Supposedly Octane can be disassembled without tools, Ti-Rant supposedly needs tools
- Octane has stainless steel baffles, Ti-Rant has aluminum baffles
- Supposedly stainless steel baffles are easier to clean and are less likely to "weld" together as compared with aluminum baffles

Based upon the above, it appears the Octane has an advantage over the Ti-Rant.

Someone mentioned that the Revolution 45 might be the better than the Octane or T-Rant as it has "Titanium Nitride baffle coating increases wear resistance 5 times over an untreated stainless surface and improves cleaning efficiency". Plus it was pointed out the Revolution can be reduced in size, giving the best of the Octane and Ti-Rant.

What are your thoughts and experiences on the above cans? Which do you believe is better, the Octane .45 or the Revolution .45? From what I understand, they both have 9 mm end caps that actually will reduce the sound better than the 9 mm versions.

I am just trying to learn and make an informed decision. I appreciate all comments!

Since I am new, thank you for your patience.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Octane .45 vs Griffin Revolution .45

Post by JasonNC »

I had the same debate and ended up purchasing a Octane 45 HD in September. That being said, I just bought the Griffin Armament Revolution 45 last week. My point? You can't go wrong with either and they were both worthy of my investment but I went with the Octane first. Perhaps someone who actually have both in their possession can chime.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

CodeSection wrote:...From what I understand, they both have 9 mm end caps that actually will reduce the sound better than the 9 mm versions...
I don't know where you got the info that the Octane 45 has a 9mm endcap, but I think that is wrong. My Octane 45 has a 0.500" ID endcap.
CodeSection

Post by CodeSection »

40G27 wrote:
CodeSection wrote:...From what I understand, they both have 9 mm end caps that actually will reduce the sound better than the 9 mm versions...
I don't know where you got the info that the Octane 45 has a 9mm endcap, but I think that is wrong. My Octane 45 has a 0.500" ID endcap.
I was referring to this... http://www.silencershop.com/accessories ... d-cap.html?
JPB

Post by JPB »

I have a Octane 45 HD and am also considering the Griffin product for my next go around. Not to bash, but the Griffin can, with the exception of the removable section, seems like an absolute knock off of the Octane. I like the flexibility that the Griffin can allows however. I see that AAC has now modified their TiRant to do the same thing. Safe money would bet on SiCo "reintroducing" the Octane with a similar capability.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Have used the Octane 9HD with P226, P229, 9mm AR, 9mm MPX and subsonic 300 BLK.. The ARs have 3 lugs. The MPX will have a 3 lug. Have used the Octane 45 with P226, P228, 9mm AR, 9mm MPX, P220, SIG 1911, subsonic 300 BLK, and HK UMP.

Have wet tumbled the stacks with SS pins ... works great!

Good result with the Octane cans!
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I can't tell you about comparison as I only own the Octane 45, but I will say that I have been nothing but pleased with it. The SS baffles make cleaning easy and with the purchase of a 9mm endcap it's works as well (if not better) as a dedicated 9mm can on my 9mm guns.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

Lots of good videos on The Silencer Shop & Capitol Armory websites.
CodeSection

Post by CodeSection »

Thanks for the responses! I'm still trying to find direct comparison by feature or video. I did find Silencer Shop showing videos, but they showed results shooting a 9mm on one and then the competitor's video showed shooting results when using a .45 caliber. I wish there was a video showing same caliber comparison.

I couldn't find any videos on Capital Armory under the cans I was looking at....

Someone here in this forum made the comparison of a Ferrari vs a Ford Mustang. I really do no know if that is subjective or objective based on design, quality, etc.....
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

I have more experience with the Octane, no complaints at all about it. I've used the Revolution cans a decent amount, they seem perfectly fine as well. Changing the length on the Revolution is NOT a quick in-the-field process. If they are dirty at all, it takes some time on the bench and cleaning. It's not hard, it's just not a 'instant swap' like the Surge 762, and it takes a bit more time than the Ti-Rant 45M.

I don't think you would be unhappy with either one.

As far as the 9mm end caps, I would stay away from them. There's no real change in dB reduction (it's something very minor, like 1 dB reduction in first round pop) but it's nothing I can hear with my own ears. To me, the 45 with the 9 end cap sounds exactly the same. To add to that, the 9mm end cap for the Octane costs money, and you deal with the "sticky last baffle" issue. Furthermore, when they were "all the rage" I saw quite a few end cap stricks on Octane 45s--- they ALL had the 9mm end cap on there. I'm not going to flat out say the 9mm increases a risk of that, but it seemed odd and more than coincidence. In the end, you pay money for no real performance gain, a headache with the last baffle, and it may or may not increase endcap strikes. Not worth it IMO.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

Good info on the 9mm end cap. Thanks!! That saved me some money. Not to hijack this thread but I will now have to research how the Surge works because I am curious about a easy to configure modular can.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
CodeSection

Post by CodeSection »

Thanks for the information Joshua! I had read a thread where someone was having trouble taking off the end cap and was asking for suggestions on how to remove it. It now makes sense....I appreciate you connecting the dots of me!
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:As far as the 9mm end caps, I would stay away from them. There's no real change in dB reduction...
Well there's a savings of $60 there. I agree, you really need to reduce the hole in all the baffles not just the end cap to make any real difference. But the ridiculous NFA rules prevent anyone from having any little harmless pieces of metal to swap out like that.
CodeSection

Post by CodeSection »

Almost bought the Griffin Revolution 45 tonight. Then I read a posting and watched a video showing the Griffin Armament Optimus. Geez.....

I realize the Optimus will not suppress my .40 cal, but heck, it appears to be an answer to many calibers. Plus, I read posts staying suppressing a .40 is a waste. For what it is worth, I already own an OSS 5.56 suppressor for my Tavor.

Damn, damn, damn....decisions!
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

In my opinion, the only suppressor that the new Optimus doesn't replace would be a 45 suppressor. I don't feel that suppressing any caliber is a waste of time. Shooting a .40 suppressed will be much more pleasant. Also keep in mind this one is not available for sale right now. I would go with the Revolution or Octane 45 now and then months from now when the Optimus comes out, it might be a great third can for you.
Last edited by JasonNC on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodeSection

Post by CodeSection »

JasonNC wrote:Let me that in my opinion, the only suppressor that the new Optimus doesn't replace would be a 45 suppressor. I don't feel that suppressing any caliber is a waste of time. Shooting a .40 suppressed will be much more pleasant. Also keep in mind this one is not available for sale right now. I would go with the Revolution or Octane 45 now and then months from now when the Optimus comes out, it might be a great third can for you.
Good point Jason! Thanks for posting!