NB That wants to build 338LM can needs help

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mikeystuart

NB That wants to build 338LM can needs help

Post by mikeystuart »

As the Title states I'm a newbie so....I'm apologizing up front for any and all stupid questions :wink:

I spent a few hours using the search engine and was unable to get most of my questions answered.

I've built one form1 .22 can but nothing this big.

What I have is a .338Lm 30" tube 1-9.5, which typically shoots a 300gn Berger at 2800-2900fps, so I'm in the HV and HP camp.

I would like suggestion on pretty much everything!!! Tube size, thickness and length. Material types that would work best. Baffle design and spacing that would work best for this caliber. I have access to a nice lathe, mill and tig.

Thank you :D
mikeystuart

Re: NB That wants to build 338LM can needs help

Post by mikeystuart »

Anyone???

I was told this was he place to go to learn how to build a good form1 can.

I'm not asking for one person to answer all the questions. I know there is a lot of knowledge here, I would love for someone to pick the one thing they know most about and share your knowledge on that one thing.
muellerdeal

Post by muellerdeal »

as you can see i dont have tons of post on here but i can tell you that you wont get many replies with that post. the search sucks but you can use google to search the site and have better luck. most of the guys on this form are very intelligent people who dont like to repeat themselves. they will answer questions quickly but you cant just ask "how do i build my ____". i have lurked here for years posting very irregularly because i find i can find most of my answers with in 20-30 minutes digging in.

that being said ive seen some 300wm & 50bmg builds on here, good place to start.....
muellerdeal

Post by muellerdeal »

btw the post 2 below this "blast chamber length" is discussing 338lm, one of the posters delta9mda has a nice long post about a build he did for 300wm that would prob work for 338. have to search.
Samson104
Silent But Deadly

Post by Samson104 »

Lets start off by asking what material , equipment and abilities you have at hand. suggestions can range from threaded aluminum to welded titanium , machined mono core to vice formed freeze plugs.

Personally for a can this size on a barrel that long I'd want it as light as possible. 1.75" grade 9 titanium tube , .070" wall. I'd make the rear cap and blast chamber all one piece with a 316 blast baffle welded in place followed by 8-9 60 deg cones with .065" wall and the front end cap threaded in place made either from titanium or 7075 aluminum. With your cones spaced at .750" apart and a 2" blast chamber you would end up with an over all length of around 9" give or take.

TBAC 338 can is 1.8" OD x 10" long and works great.
The AAC Titan is about the same size and is another great suppressor , i've been told that its as good of better than the TBAC
Crux 338 Suppressor is 1.5" OD and about 9.5" long , its said to be very effective
mikeystuart

Post by mikeystuart »

Thanks for both the responses!

Maybe I'm not using the search engine right. I did fined delta9mda post on the 300wm build. Thanks
Samson104 wrote:Lets start off by asking what material , equipment and abilities you have at hand. suggestions can range from threaded aluminum to welded titanium , machined mono core to vice formed freeze plugs.
Material mostly aluminum but I was planning on buying titanium or stainless for this build.

Equipment I have a 13x40 jet lathe, large grizzly knee mill with dro and a miller 250 tig.

Abilities Ive been welding for 14 years just getting into machining in the last year or so. I just finished my first custom rifle build and did all the machine work on that. Blueprinted the 700 action barreled and chambered it cut the threads and timed the brake.
Samson104 wrote: Personally for a can this size on a barrel that long I'd want it as light as possible. 1.75" grade 9 titanium tube , .070" wall. I'd make the rear cap and blast chamber all one piece with a 316 blast baffle welded in place followed by 8-9 60 deg cones with .065" wall and the front end cap threaded in place made either from titanium or 7075 aluminum. With your cones spaced at .750" apart and a 2" blast chamber you would end up with an over all length of around 9" give or take.
I agree lighter would be better! So the tube is titanium but you lost me at the rear cap blast chamber. Its 316ss? You cant weld ss and ti right?

That sounds like about the right size can.

There seems to be a debate over clipping the cones or not clipping what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
Brittsc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Brittsc »

I know this is off topic sorta, but I just got my SilencerCo Harvester Big Bore for my 338 Win Mag. Dang that thing sounds amazing. I can literally shoot with no hearing protection. I bought it for hunting, So i wouldn't recommend not using hearing protection for multiple shots with it or any other rifle, but I love my suppressed rifle.
Britt
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Take in what samson says and... I got this
NP