Estate question if I should pass away unexpectedly

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

heliguy
Senior Silent Operator

Estate question if I should pass away unexpectedly

Post by heliguy »

I have a couple suppressors and a SBR. All of my relatives live in IL, which does not allow these in state. If I pass away, how does my estate (wife) handle these items? Just looking for some thoughts before I contact a lawyer.... These items are NOT in a trust.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Re: Estate question if I should pass away unexpectedly

Post by LawBob »

They go to whomever your will says. if no will, then then intestate laws of your state where you die.

if they are unable to take them (illinois law) then they may escheat to the state.

I suggest you talk to a local attorney. you could establish a testamentary trust (a trust that is in effect AFTER you die) naming certain beneficiaries. The trust is established in your NFA friendly state, and the trustee could be someone there etc...

there's a lot to consider, contact a lawyer.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Maybe find a trusted local FFL/SOT who you wife can have sell them, take a commission, and hand over the extra money.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

heliguy wrote:I have a couple suppressors and a SBR. All of my relatives live in IL, which does not allow these in state. If I pass away, how does my estate (wife) handle these items? Just looking for some thoughts before I contact a lawyer.... These items are NOT in a trust.
They go to whomever you list in your will. They will transfer on a Form 5 tax free, and no CLEO sign off needed. The estate will send in the Form 5 in duplicate along with a copy of the will and probate documents.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Maybe they'll be out of NFA soon then they'll get sold out of your garage on a folding table mixed in with the kitchen gadgets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

doubloon wrote:Maybe they'll be out of NFA soon then they'll get sold out of your garage on a folding table mixed in with the kitchen gadgets.

If life could only be so easy.....A man can dream though. I'm dreaming about that day right along with you sir.
I've gotta stop this habit.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

heliguy wrote:I have a couple suppressors and a SBR. All of my relatives live in IL, which does not allow these in state. If I pass away, how does my estate (wife) handle these items? Just looking for some thoughts before I contact a lawyer.... These items are NOT in a trust.
\What state are you in now?