Which cone?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tjones96761

Which cone?

Post by tjones96761 »

Most pictures I see are like the one on the left, but in my mind the one on the right would "cut" the gas flow away from the center line better. Is it ease of machining, or actually better to have that flat nose like the one on the left? Is the flat nose just to debur the thru hole without chamfering the edge? Appreciate any input.

fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which cone?

Post by fastfire »

In my very limited experience in this I believe the first version causes more disturbance slowing gases.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

ignore
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

The drawback to the first one is you have no meat at the bore.....any erosion an you will immediately start enlarging the bore.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
sizulku
Silent Operator

Post by sizulku »

the second picture (with sharp edge/nose) will make inconsistent accuracy
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

sizulku wrote:the second picture (with sharp edge/nose) will make inconsistent accuracy
...because of wavefront interference buffetting the bullet's shank. This causes wobble and inconsistant aerodynamics acting upon the nosecone after base is pushed off-center. Rendering gyroscopic instability.
---
Try this profile. (Ingore the notches if you wish.)
Erosion will have to eat all the way through the mouth's face b/f the bore enlarges.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

tjones96761 wrote:Most pictures I see are like the one on the left, but in my mind the one on the right would "cut" the gas flow away from the center line better. Is it ease of machining, or actually better to have that flat nose like the one on the left? Is the flat nose just to debur the thru hole without chamfering the edge? Appreciate any input.
The edge thickness of design two will not impact the accuracy to any degree unless the bullets length is significantly shorter than the edge thickness of the baffle in which it passes through.Both will work fine in most any build.If you use #two I would add a flat of at least .025 to take the fine edge off .I normally use a short neck on my baffles with a undercut leaving a .050" edge at the top.It being a mix of design one and two.

You are correct that number two will cut away more gas than the first design while the larger flat on the first one will aid turbulence in low pressure builds.With either one just debur don't chamfer the inside edge.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895