22lr Ruger barrels with aluminum threads/breach face -reliable?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

22lr Ruger barrels with aluminum threads/breach face -reliable?

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Since I ordered a Checkmate with the QD 3 lug I'm starting to look at adapting a Ruger 10/22 and MK III Hunter model.

My rifle has a carbon fiber ported barrel so I can't just thread it. 16" threaded is in the running but I also see the TacSol SBX 12" barrel with permanent cage = 16.5 to shorten OAL without an extra tax stamp. I don't like the idea of aluminum and know their other barrels use it. Does the SBX have aluminum threads/breach face and am I just being paranoid? Also since I will rockset the 3 lug adapter on anyway is it a mute point other than breach face?

On the MK III I can thread but 6 plus inches will put bulk ammo supersonic and flutes prevet shortening. Should I just order a few bricks of subsonic to keep around since the rifle will require it anyway or will the more than a foot of barrel get old fast?

If shorter is better I can either get a bull barrel and cut down to 2-4 inches for a dedicated rig or maybe the Volquartsen 4.5" threaded.

So... opinions and experiences please!
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Re: 22lr Ruger barrels with aluminum threads/breach face -reliable?

Post by glocker17 »

My issue with the SBX was the tight chamber that gunned up quickly. The aluminum around the chamber will show some penning after use.
JPB

Post by JPB »

I got an SBX barrel for my 10/22 take down. I love it so far. Zero issues with it. Keeps standard velocity mini mags subsonic. The steel sleeve barrel creates a concentric two component breach face. Shows typical wear and tear with regards to penning. Seems to be of the self limiting variety. Given my druthers, I'd prefer an all steel unit. It's almost too light.

I went the steel route on my MK III. There's a factory option with a flat black sightless 4" steel barrel (non-Lite model), picatinny rail on top and under the barrel. It's awesome, love it. Matches the Element 2 finish perfectly and balances great. Put about 800 suppressed rounds through it on the first outing and it was begging for more. Remington Thunderbolt bulk was just subsonic in it. Every once in a while I'd get a hot one, but 90%ish were subsonic.
Last edited by JPB on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

JPB wrote:I got an SBX barrel for my 10/22 take down. I love it so far. Zero issues with it. Keeps standard velocity mini mags subsonic. The steel sleeve barrel creates a concentric two component breach face. Shows typical wear and tear with regards to penning. Seems to be of the self limiting variety. Given my druthers, I'd prefer an all steel unit. It's almost too light.

I went the steel route on my MK III. There's a factory option with a flat black sightless 4" steel barrel (non-Lite model), picatinny rail on top and under the barrel. It's awesome, love it. Matches the Element 2 finish perfectly and balances great. Put about 800 suppressed rounds through it on the first outing and it was begging for more. Remington Thunderbolt bulk was just subsonic in it. Every once in a while I'd get a hot one, but 90%ish were subsonic.
I'm looking at getting that exact pistol upper and fitting it to the grip I already have. How is accuracy?
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

0101silent wrote:KIDD makes an aluminum sleeved barrel with a stainless breech and stainless threaded muzzle. http://coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Ultra- ... p_138.html
That looks perfect! I hear great things about their accuracy as well.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

glocker17 wrote:My issue with the SBX was the tight chamber that gunned up quickly. The aluminum around the chamber will show some penning after use.
I am taking it off the list. For compact I have the pistol and will keep the rifle for driving tacks. It's got too many upgrades and a leupold 3-9x to just end up an OK shooter.
JPB

Post by JPB »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:
I'm looking at getting that exact pistol upper and fitting it to the grip I already have. How is accuracy?
Shoots as accurate as I'm capable of. Prints nice little groups. Honesty, I shoot more steel than paper with it.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Thank you all for responding, it really helped me get a plan together.