NFA question

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

NFA question

Post by edteach »

I created a trust because in Florida no CLEO will sign off. I was going to wait till I went to Arkansas but found out the CLEO there will also not sign off. So I got the trust and have applied eform 1 SBR form 4 Osprey 45 and specwar 556 before the new law goes into affect or what is presumed to be going into affect in Jan where the CLEO has to sign off on trusts. My question is does anyone know if Arkansas will accept a trust from Florida? I know I will have to get an Attorney from Arkansas but I don't have that ability right now and was wondering if anyone has any dealings moving to Fla from Ar?
DOGON
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Re: NFA question

Post by Tony M. »

edteach wrote:I created a trust because in Florida no CLEO will sign off. I was going to wait till I went to Arkansas but found out the CLEO there will also not sign off. So I got the trust and have applied eform 1 SBR form 4 Osprey 45 and specwar 556 before the new law goes into affect or what is presumed to be going into affect in Jan where the CLEO has to sign off on trusts. My question is does anyone know if Arkansas will accept a trust from Florida? I know I will have to get an Attorney from Arkansas but I don't have that ability right now and was wondering if anyone has any dealings moving to Fla from Ar?
You're making some broad statements there. in my County, CLEO will sign off (in FL).

As for the trust question, I would make sure that I amended the trust so that it would be legal in both states, if any amendment is needed.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Tony M. wrote:
edteach wrote:I created a trust because in Florida no CLEO will sign off. I was going to wait till I went to Arkansas but found out the CLEO there will also not sign off. So I got the trust and have applied eform 1 SBR form 4 Osprey 45 and specwar 556 before the new law goes into affect or what is presumed to be going into affect in Jan where the CLEO has to sign off on trusts. My question is does anyone know if Arkansas will accept a trust from Florida? I know I will have to get an Attorney from Arkansas but I don't have that ability right now and was wondering if anyone has any dealings moving to Fla from Ar?
You're making some broad statements there. in my County, CLEO will sign off (in FL).

As for the trust question, I would make sure that I amended the trust so that it would be legal in both states, if any amendment is needed.
I was told by a couple of class three gun shops that no CLEO in Fla would sign off unless they knew you very well. Can not say they are right but I know in Sarasota,Desoto,Charlotte and lee they will not.
DOGON
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

edteach wrote:
Tony M. wrote:You're making some broad statements there. in my County, CLEO will sign off (in FL).

I was told by a couple of class three gun shops that no CLEO in Fla would sign off unless they knew you very well. Can not say they are right but I know in Sarasota,Desoto,Charlotte and lee they will not.
Each County is different. Sheriffs are elected and try to make their electorate happy. Whichever the dominate feeling is.
PD Chiefs are less flexible. Mayors and City Counsels often prevent them from sign-off.

A Trust made in any State remians valid wherever you travel. So unless you make ammendments once in AR, the Trust remains the same for ATF and IRS. Some States require filing a copy w the State or County, most don't. You won't have any problem buying new NFA items.

And if you begin a new Trust in AR, you will have to retransfer all NFA items to your new Trust. :(
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Why would have have to transfer items to his new trust? The old trust remains in effect and old items are on it. New items go on the new trust. There is no need to move old items to the new trust.

In any case the ATF hasnt published when the new rules go into effect if they do go into effect. Its been delayed many times.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

YugoRPK wrote:Why would have have to transfer items to his new trust? The old trust remains in effect and old items are on it. New items go on the new trust. There is no need to move old items to the new trust.

In any case the ATF hasnt published when the new rules go into effect if they do go into effect. Its been delayed many times.
This is exactly what my attorney said about my individual items that are NFA, he said do not put the in the new trust it only serves to cost money for the tax. Nothing any good comes of it.
DOGON
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

whiterussian1974 wrote:And if you begin a new Trust in AR, you will have to retransfer all NFA items to your new Trust. :(
I couldn't sleep that night and posted while sleep deprived. Sorry for confusion.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

edteach wrote:
Tony M. wrote:

You should not patronize those shops because clearly they are speaking from the wrong orifice. There are tons or people that get signoffs in FL. Sounds like they are trying to seeo you on a a Trust.