All SS sealed can, and "the dip"?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

RJT
Silent But Deadly

All SS sealed can, and "the dip"?

Post by RJT »

Have a heavy 5.56 can that has since been replaced with lighter models, so it just sits in the safe. Was thinking about using it on my AMT 10/22, with a HEAVY barrel. It only sees bench use, so another pound and a half is no big deal. Can you get the lead out?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: All SS sealed can, and "the dip"?

Post by doubloon »

Did you run a lot of 22 through it before putting it in the safe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Nope, just .223
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Really doubt there's any significant lead buildup if only 223/556 was shot out of it.

Carbon buildup sure. Either way, the easiest way to "clean" a sealed rifle can is slap it on a SBR. Or full auto if you're that lucky.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I read it as he wants to start using it for rimfire but hasn't yet. I am not sure if blasting .223 through it would clean it out for you but I would think the dip or a ultra sonic cleaner would. Not 100% though as I have no experience with rimfire through sealed can.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Jason has it right. I am thinking about using it on my rimfire. As of now, it has only had centerfire through it. Just wondering if I can dip it clean, if I decide to do it.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Is it completely stainless steel? That would be my first concern. After that, next concern would be getting the solution into all the nooks & crannies in the can. It might be difficult to do without completely submerging the can in the paracetic acid and agitating it to some degree. Then, the next trick will be rinsing it out several times to make sure there is no residual acid left in the can.

Of course, the standard concerns of proper PPE, splashing acid, absorbing lead acetate, and disposal still apply.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

What if he used it with solely copper plated 22lr like Federal American Eagle suppressor ammo:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/995680 ... round-nose

While on the subject, has anyone tried the complete immersion method to clean a sealed suppressor? What kind of media have you used? I was thinking of trying this with a Gemtech MultiMount, but as I haven't really shot it that much (a couple of hundred rounds at most) I figured I'd defer the decision 'till later.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Fulliautomatix wrote:Is it completely stainless steel? That would be my first concern.

It's a YHM Phantom SS. It may have an Inconel blast baffle, but there is no Ti, or Al.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Here's what I would do:

Weigh it.

Plug one end and fill it with Ed's Red. Plug other end (or acetone will evap) Let is soak for a couple weeks.

Drain.

Run a .410 ss brush in it (as large as can go in, perhaps just a .30 cal brush) and clean that bore.Rotating etc.

Fill with acetone. shake. Drain. Repeat. (getting oils out)

Secure it, and get a high pressure water hose attachment and blast it, each way.

Fill with acetone. shake. Drain. Repeat. (getting water out).

Blow out with compressed air. Alternatively, hook up shop vac and tape it to the end and let er suck for a good while.

Let it dry for a day or two. Alternatively, put in oven at 250 degrees (Something low so you don't affect metallurgy).

Weigh it.

submerse in ultrasonic cleaner with carbon cleaning solution. Let er rip for a while..

Take out and drain contents.

Fill with acetone. shake. Drain. Repeat. (getting junk out)

Blow out with compressed air. Alternatively, hook up shop vac and tape it to the end and let er suck for a good while.

Let it dry for a day or two. Alternatively, put in oven at 250 degrees (Something low so you don't affect metallurgy).

Weigh it.

I'd oil it with a "dry film" oil - one that goes on wet, but then dries...there's a GunScrubber type that leaves protection, but dries leaving behind some anti-rust oils. If you get this you could probably lube it up and leave it out in sun to dry.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

To simplify all of this:

If the can is all SS, then yes, you can dip it to remove the lead build up from the .22 ammo.

Whether using the dip in general is advisable is the subject of many other threads, but I use it and have good results.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

Don't most manufacturer's say 22lr through rifle can is a no go?
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

jimbo45 wrote:Don't most manufacturer's say 22lr through rifle can is a no go?
bc lead build up. I get this with WWB on a .45 Mac10 on a TiRant bc f/a. It sucks to remove - can't use the dip on Alum baffles.

Rapid fire from SBR or F/A will blast most of it out.

My SOT friend makes his own 556 suppressors and he shoots 22 full auto through it, and blasts it over with 556. The heat and blasts apparently blows most of the newly (re-)melted lead out.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

LawBob wrote:
jimbo45 wrote:Don't most manufacturer's say 22lr through rifle can is a no go?
bc lead build up. I get this with WWB on a .45 Mac10 on a TiRant bc f/a. It sucks to remove - can't use the dip on Alum baffles.

Rapid fire from SBR or F/A will blast most of it out.

My SOT friend makes his own 556 suppressors and he shoots 22 full auto through it, and blasts it over with 556. The heat and blasts apparently blows most of the newly (re-)melted lead out.
well that makes sense then.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

LawBob wrote: Rapid fire from SBR or F/A will blast most of it out.
I can attest to that. I've got a small (1"x 6") stainless rifle can that sees a lot of .22LR. I've used the dip on it a few times with good results. I recently ran a couple hundred .223 throuh it, and I'll say it's the cleanest it has been since it was new.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

You can dip an all stainless sealed can but the problem is there will be goopy residue that will NOT come out when you want it to come out.

It WILL come out on a gast gun through the chamber with the backpressure. I for one would never want that mess in my face, mine as well suck on lead powder at that point as every blast of backpressure will be laced with lead vapor and lead actetate.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

I like my solution better. Uktrasonic and clean. Blow and suck. Etc. see above.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Bendersquint wrote:You can dip an all stainless sealed can but the problem is there will be goopy residue that will NOT come out when you want it to come out.

It WILL come out on a gast gun through the chamber with the backpressure. I for one would never want that mess in my face, mine as well suck on lead powder at that point as every blast of backpressure will be laced with lead vapor and lead actetate.
If it was a 30 or 45 cal can maybe dip it. You're more likely to be able to rinse most of the crud out. But a 22 cal. I seriously doubt it. You would need to do a lot of rinse w acetone, suck w vacuum
Repeat. Etc. and the issue of lead acetate.