Favorite direct thread 30 cal

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mamooth

Favorite direct thread 30 cal

Post by Mamooth »

Looking for some input on a direct thread 7.62 can.

I've been looking at a few options available locally in stock and I'm having a hard time deciding between these. I may get more than one just
because.

GemTech Sandstorm so light. I like this can, its short and light (I know people bag on GemTech all the time but I have two of their other products and they've been ROCK SOLID for me)

Dead Air Sandman Ti new kid on the block sort of, heavier than the Gemtech but people are saying awesome things, I have been wanting to grab one of their products for a while, and weight for this rifle is a nice to have not a need to have. This seems like a damn nice product from an awesome company.

GemTech GMT-300WM light and tougher than the Sandstorm. Wanted one for a while. THis just might be the on I get regardless of what I buy for the current rifle I am shopping for. Just to have it. I don't like the "Dagger" update to this can and I may never get a chance to own the normal faced one again.

Thunder beast Ultra 7 no explanation necessary. Love their stuff.

EDIT: forgot to give the AAC cyclone a nod. Maybe to keep with the slightly budget theme of the Ruger?

So, of those, which would you pick? which should I be considering instead in a direct thread model in the 1200 and under price range? I am going to be tossing this on a Ruger precision rifle to just leave it on there. I've got the mount to throw my Crux on the end but I intend to be using this rifle in tandem with several others per outing.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Favorite direct thread 30 cal

Post by Kramer »

I have a Sandstorm for my 700 SPS bolt gun and love it. Worth the price of admission especially since I bought it back during a tax free deal.

I recently picked up a Liberty Freedom for my M1A. Another excellent can.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I also have a Sandstorm. I'd buy another without a second thought. A great supressor and I've had no trouble with Gemtech Customer Service. Never needed CS for the Sandstorm but used it when I had them thread a Remington barrel.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Id go with the Sandman Ti or SilencerCo Omega personally. Both are a decent size & vey light cans
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

For strictly a direct thread only can on a bolt gun, i've heard great things about the AAC 300-TM.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

My vote goes the the Sandman-Ti
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

rimshaker wrote:For strictly a direct thread only can on a bolt gun, i've heard great things about the AAC 300-TM.

I really enjoy how quiet my 300TM is. I experienced considerable POI shift on one rifle and very little on another. If I had to do it over again I think I'd go with the Omega; it is shorter, significantly more versatile, marginally lighter, much tougher, and quite a bit cheaper.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
rr4406pak

Post by rr4406pak »

I have the Gemtech Dagger (the last generation with the normal face (no protruding nut)) and it is awesome.
Not sure why the Dagger isn't more popular.
Insanely quiet on a 300 Blackout Ruger American bolt action rifle.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Just something to think about:

Most thread-on cans have very small blast chambers. This is fine on bolt actions, but crazy horrible for back pressure and at-ear sound on anything automatic. I appreciate the recommendations for the Sandman-Ti. It was designed with a liberal blast chamber for multi-host use because of this.