Any special considerations for suppressing 7.62x54r?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Holescreek

Any special considerations for suppressing 7.62x54r?

Post by Holescreek »

I've searched the forum several times and haven't come up with much which either means suppressing a 54r is no different than anything else or not too many people report problems.

I have a form 1 submitted and also want to purchase a suppressor. For the last 5 years I've been primarily shooting 7.62x54r, mostly hand loads but also some surplus through five different home built rifles in semi and bolt action configurations. Hand loaded 54r isn't any dirtier than .308 but the surplus stuff is corrosive and sooty. For that reason I'm not sure if a sealed can is the right choice. I make a lot of my brakes out of stainless and they get a heavy build up of soot that doesn't clean off without a wire wheel.

As far as current offerings I've been leaning towards a Specwar 7.62 based only on what I've learned on the net, but is a sealed can the best choice? Unfortunately I also get the impression that the Specwar 7.62 is in process of being phased out, mostly from the verbiage in the silencershop description.

Here are the last two home builds that I really want to quiet down at the range. The old timers that shoot in the mornings wince when they see those brakes on the line.

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Re: Any special considerations for suppressing 7.62x54r?

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Those are bueatiful builds.

I don't have a lot to offer on your other questions, but Silencer Shop and SilencerCo have ended relations, so I would ask SilencerCo on the future of the Specwar, also what suppressor they recomend for you. I like Silencer shop and will use them again, but that are a little sour grapes right now.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

Thanks for the heads up! I'll take your advice and ask them too. I figure plenty of others have been down this road already, the info is here somewhere.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Any of the reputable manufacturers will be very helpful and ultimately have to honor the warranty if you have a problem. There are many good suppressors out, it depends upon what you want. If you tell the group the order of your priorities: like accuracy, then weight, then sound suppression and finally durability, I'm sure you will get sugestions.

What is the minimum barel length and do you do any rapid fire?
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

Most of the 54r rifles were built with accuracy as the main goal. The bolt guns shoot consistent .6" or better 100 yard groups if I do my part. I never shoot rapid fire, usually 5 shots/min max. I doubt I will ever shoot much subsonic unless I can do as well accuracy wise and I don't hunt anything but paper targets anymore. Suppression is as much for other shooters benefit as it is mine, I also hope it will brake the recoil at least as good as my current muzzle brakes.

It's mostly the same for the semi autos but I do tend to shoot more surplus corrosive ammo through them.

Almost forgot....shortest barrel length is 18" and I only shoot an average of around 80 shots a week with a rifle.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Only issue for me is when I use surplus ammo - need to get the salts out so
Hot Water Rinse and heat it up to over 220 deg to turn left over water to vapor.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

For me personally I have done a 7.62 x 54 R rifle suppress with a spec war 7.62. I love it very much and it performs very well. Also I see that you're doing your own personal build so you will not have any trouble with the alignment process. Lastly the rifle that I suppress with a Mosin Nagant. the sound from its long barrel sounds like a 22 unsuppressed. I think the specwar line is here to stay for a very long time. If it wasn't they wouldn't make a shortened down version and expand the line like they did.

If you have a chance check out this video link to YouTube of guy who did a great job of showing the benefits of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVA-dCLfTsY
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

Thanks! I've seen that video and most of the other ones on the Specwar 7.62 that pop up in a search. I'm guessing that the corrosion aspect isn't as big a deal as I thought. I received some "Red Army Standard" once that pitted the barrel, brake, and gas tube of a PSL in 8 hours. I plan on making my Form 1 suppressor with a removeable cap for cleaning.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Holescreek wrote:Thanks! I've seen that video and most of the other ones on the Specwar 7.62 that pop up in a search. I'm guessing that the corrosion aspect isn't as big a deal as I thought. I received some "Red Army Standard" once that pitted the barrel, brake, and gas tube of a PSL in 8 hours. I plan on making my Form 1 suppressor with a removeable cap for cleaning.

I run mines with bear ammo. Its pretty clean and i have no corrosion. don't for get to post your spec and a video of your can when your done.

As they always say "sharing is caring" expect STD thats not cool. :lol:
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

I have several shooting videos online under "Holescreek", much of it involves high speed video footage to check for various issues bantered about on gun building sites. I'll surely make one with whatever I end up buying. Thanks for the replies!
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

Very disappointing morning. I gathered up my cash and went back to the local dealer only to find out his distributors are all out of the Specwar 7.62's. He gave me several other choices from his "in-stock" list, none of which were improvements (based on my limited research).
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Holescreek wrote:Very disappointing morning. I gathered up my cash and went back to the local dealer only to find out his distributors are all out of the Specwar 7.62's. He gave me several other choices from his "in-stock" list, none of which were improvements (based on my limited research).
https://silencerco.com/find-a-dealer/

this should help you. you have option for yourself

good luck and enjoy
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

It's just a bad time to purchase a Specwar 7.62. I called the closest dealer on the list and he checked all his distributors while on the phone, all out of stock. Seems as though the universe is telling me to file for another Form 1.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Holescreek wrote:It's just a bad time to purchase a Specwar 7.62. I called the closest dealer on the list and he checked all his distributors while on the phone, all out of stock. Seems as though the universe is telling me to file for another Form 1.

I was in the same boat that your in. I made the SOT order it from silencero. but i got it at a great price. I soon became the suppressor guy because that all i brought there.

Also there is a something about having a can that is warranted and top quality build. They can order a can for you if they don't have one on site. also do it soon so when a month and a half passes. You can send of the form 4 way before the 41F change. IMO the spec war is the gold standard. also The sandman L is good too.

Lasty silencero does post on here so you can chat with them if you like in the "industry" section
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

I posted in their forum but won't hold my breath for a reply. The last time one of their two designated moderators posted here was May 4th.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

have you called up anyone on the listings to see if they have it in stock then they can form 3 it to your SOT then form 4 to the might ATF.