Importance of Keeping Weight Low on a 300WM Suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Importance of Keeping Weight Low on a 300WM Suppressor

Post by MMH »

How important is it to keep the weight of a suppressor low? The suppressor that I am designing will be going on a precision long range 300WM rifle. Obviously the POI will shift more with increased suppressor weight, but the POI will shift with the addition of any muzzle brake or suppressor.

My priorities in designing a suppressor are maximum noise reduction, suppressor reliability/longevity, and cost/ease of building. So, if I end up with a 40 oz. suppressor instead of a 20 oz. one, is that such a big deal? Please keep in mind that it will attached to a 14 lbs. rifle.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Importance of Keeping Weight Low on a 300WM Suppressor

Post by whiterussian1974 »

There are people who have fired .50BMG through a 55gal barrel for suppression.
Don't worry about weight. The reason that people try to keep it low is for ease of carry and barrel swing to aquire new targets.
If you are shooting Match, Bullseye, Benchrest; then don't worry about the wieght. But adding material displaces available volume. So, something to consider.
If you want a can 24"L and 6"OD, then there is nothing wrong w that performance-wise.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Re: Importance of Keeping Weight Low on a 300WM Suppressor

Post by cal50 »

Suppressor weight has a varying affect on impact shift depending on barrel profile, rigidity, length, etc.
One example is my AAC M4-2000 suppressor on different host rifles. Using the same mount my Remington 700 tactical shows a 1/2 moa impact shift @ 100 yards while the same suppressor on my Tavor has a much greater impact shift at the same distance. One barrel is much heavier & ridged and the other is a pencil profile.

Less weight is desirable until it starts taking away strength and durability or you are putting it on a thin barrel by design and want miminal impact shift.
Branded for life, in more ways than one