MPX or CZ Scorpion

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Sorpion or MPX

MPX
50%
Scorpion
47%
Not a Sub gun fan
3%

Total votes: 32

Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

MPX or CZ Scorpion

Post by Michael Black 47 »

Well I've been looking at getting a pistol to SBR. Currently I'm stuck between the MPX and the CZ scorpion. I love them both and I'm looking for a good sub gun. This is open to everyone and all input is welcome. What has been your experience with either platform and how to run suppressed for you. I currently own a octane 45 HD and will do very much on my FNX. One of the biggest complaints I've been hearing about the MPX is the fact that it tends to be gassy. The scorpion has been getting many praises but I'm still on the fence.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: MPX or CZ Scorpion

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I have no personal experience w either. But have always heard that the CZ Scorpion was nototiously hard to hold steady under recoil and therefore inaccuracte.
Always heard GREAT reports on HK MP5/40. Sig's MPX looks similar and is extremely customizable.
I'd DEFINITELY choose MPX.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

whiterussian1974 wrote:I have no personal experience w either. But have always heard that the CZ Scorpion was nototiously hard to hold steady under recoil and therefore inaccuracte.
Always heard GREAT reports on HK MP5/40. Sig's MPX looks similar and is extremely customizable.
I'd DEFINITELY choose MPX.
I'm heading to a gun show this weekend so I'm hoping for some deals. that bag they made for it looks great.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Reports are that for suppressed shooting, the Scorpion puts a lot less gas in your face and has less port pop. Plus is a lot cheaper and the aftermarket is taking to it more so than the MPX. Sig looks better and has better controls and ergos but I would lean more to the Scorpion. I would only be interested in a sub gun as a suppressor host
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Personally, I think the reports of the MPX being gassy are completely over the top. Even full auto, wasn't bad at all. If you're sensitive to blow back, could be an issue--- but to me the MPX has a similar amount of blowback to a really well tuned AR. Meaning, occasionally you may get a wiff of something in your noise, but really nothing that bothered me. Maybe I'm the crazy one, but I just don't see it as a host with blowback issues.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Blowback severity also largely depends on the can being used. Barrel length too.

With a 45 can, blowback should be a little more forgiving.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

I don't mean to start any controversy here between anyone. I'm really and considering buying the MPX but just want to make sure from other more experienced professionals about the hearsay and rumors. I deftly love them both. But I'm in a sort of a time crunch of getting them straight now before 41F comes affect. I don't feel like dragging fellow family members from other states to get this done. Hopefully the good and show turns out pretty smooth and I can see about grabbing one for nice price.

I'm still surprised people are still charging $1800 for a NIB MPX. Lastly this anyone know if there are any 9 mm and caps for the octane 45 HD still floating out there?
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Son has an MPX. I don't know where the reports of it being gassy are coming from. WIth my handloads or Fiocchi 158s and an Octane 9 HD the MPX is not bad at all!
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

So I have a Scorpion. And 2 UMP conversions (with 9, 40 and 45 parts). And MP5SD and MP5/40. No sig.

I can tell you the scorpion is a Bargain at it's price.

It shoots and feels like a UMP, only skinnier with better ergonomics. At a fraction of the HK price.

Stock trigger sucks, but a $10 spring kit and some polishing improved that greatly. Also changed the charging handle to a slightly larger one.

Factory CZ folder is VERY nice (SBR config). Shoots suppressed really well.

No, it's not a roller-locked butter smooth queen, but then again, few other things are, and they all come with much larger price tags.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Michael Black 47 wrote:Lastly this anyone know if there are any 9 mm and caps for the octane 45 HD still floating out there?
My understanding is that they were a silencer shop exclusive and there were a fair number of people who reported getting endcap strikes. SS still has them on the sight listed as in stock and join waiting list, but you could call them. Silencerco parted ways with them so I think the 9mm endcap is history.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

This is open to everybody here. Has anyone noticed any Q and E problems with the MPX. I saw a few videos to YouTube involving it having some poor quality in manufacturing. Misalignment love scratches and bolts not holding it in place. Just curious to be to hear his opinion about this. Some of y'all here are dealers so you've had a quite a bit of traffic computer shops. Also wire the magazines so expensive. I know it's Lancer and make good quality stuff but 70 bucks for magazines Lord.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Michael Black 47 wrote:This is open to everybody here. Has anyone noticed any Q and E problems with the MPX. I saw a few videos to YouTube involving it having some poor quality in manufacturing. Misalignment love scratches and bolts not holding it in place. Just curious to be to hear his opinion about this. Some of y'all here are dealers so you've had a quite a bit of traffic computer shops. Also wire the magazines so expensive. I know it's Lancer and make good quality stuff but 70 bucks for magazines Lord.
Make sure you get the gen2 MPX then. You can easily tell by the keymod hand rails. And the official part# has "KM" in it somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7WmEPyu_k
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Michael Black 47 wrote:This is open to everybody here. Has anyone noticed any Q and E problems with the MPX. I saw a few videos to YouTube involving it having some poor quality in manufacturing. Misalignment love scratches and bolts not holding it in place. Just curious to be to hear his opinion about this. Some of y'all here are dealers so you've had a quite a bit of traffic computer shops. Also wire the magazines so expensive. I know it's Lancer and make good quality stuff but 70 bucks for magazines Lord.
Please take phone off of Auto-correct.
(Or review speech-to-text output b/f posting.)Wire/why are.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

whiterussian1974 wrote:
Please take phone off of Auto-correct.
thanks for the tip. but back to the question tho. Why in the hell is the magazine so expensive?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Michael Black 47 wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:Please take phone off of Auto-correct.
thanks for the tip. but back to the question tho. Why in the hell is the magazine so expensive?
Economy of scale. Few people generating little aftermarket/spares demand. If someone created injection moulded bodies w sheetmetal clad/wrap, then cost COULD come down if enough interest. Until then, premium pricing for "Early Adopters"/Gov't Sales.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

whiterussian1974 wrote:
Michael Black 47 wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:Please take phone off of Auto-correct.
Economy of scale. Few people generating little aftermarket/spares demand. If someone created injection molded bodies w sheetmetal clad/wrap, then cost COULD come down if enough interest. Until then, premium pricing for "Early Adopters"/Gov't Sales.
Thank you for the information and the example he used to help explain your point. Sometimes I wish it was sheet-metal to that made the magazines but unfortunately is not, it's Polymer. Overall I seem satisfied with the MPX and I found a good dealer that has a great price on it.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Michael Black 47 wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:Economy of scale. Few people generating little aftermarket/spares demand. If someone created injection molded bodies w sheetmetal clad/wrap, then cost COULD come down if enough interest. Until then, premium pricing for "Early Adopters"/Gov't Sales.
Thank you for the information and the example he used to help explain your point. Sometimes I wish it was sheet-metal to that made the magazines but unfortunately is not, it's Polymer. Overall I seem satisfied with the MPX and I found a good dealer that has a great price on it.
Are you using translation software? Your word choice and grammer appear stilted.
This is common w Spanish or Russian. Perhaps other languages, too.
I'm not criticising. I speak a few tongues. Just curious.
Если это так, то я приветствую вас в качестве собрата культурного человека.
Я сам также говорят на других языках.
(I myself (yes, Subjective Pronoun and Reflexive Object) also speak other languages.)
Michael Black 47 wrote:quite a bit of traffic computer shops
Did this mean Internet-based business?
Michael Black 47 wrote:Overall I seem satisfied ...
You seem to yourself be to satisfied to/with yourself? That's very strange grammer. You are both Subject(Nominative) and Direct Object(Dative.)
Playhard321

Post by Playhard321 »

I have a Gen2 MPX and had my barrel cut down to 4.5" and threaded to 1/2x28 its not gassy at all. I have been getting blowback with my Octane 45 but sadly I do get blowback with almost every host with this can. With my Tirant 9 there is no blowback at all. My form 1 is still pending and I'm waiting for my preorder 4" K-rail and stock from Sig. No regrets here with the MPX, VERY QUIET with 147's and 158's. :)
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Playhard321 wrote:I have a Gen2 MPX and had my barrel cut down to 4.5" and threaded to 1/2x28 its not gassy at all. I have been getting blowback with my Octane 45 but sadly I do get blowback with almost every host with this can. With my Tirant 9 there is no blowback at all. My form 1 is still pending and I'm waiting for my preorder 4" K-rail and stock from Sig. No regrets here with the MPX, VERY QUIET with 147's and 158's. :)

Sounds like a nice compact setup you have there. Its always interesting to see how some guns run with different suppressors. I think I'll stay with the 8 inch barrel. The 4 inch K configuration is a bit small for me. Also have you ever ran your setup wet and how did it sound.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Michael Black 47 wrote:
Playhard321 wrote:I have a Gen2 MPX and had my barrel cut down to 4.5" and threaded to 1/2x28 its not gassy at all. I have been getting blowback with my Octane 45 but sadly I do get blowback with almost every host with this can. With my Tirant 9 there is no blowback at all. My form 1 is still pending and I'm waiting for my preorder 4" K-rail and stock from Sig. No regrets here with the MPX, VERY QUIET with 147's and 158's. :)

Sounds like a nice compact setup you have there. Its always interesting to see how some guns run with different suppressors. I think I'll stay with the 8 inch barrel. The 4 inch K configuration is a bit small for me. Also have you ever ran your setup wet and how did it sound.
I have a Gen 1 with a 3.5 inch barrel, SBR'ed, and mated to a high-volume sub-gun silencer. I did that particular silencer in order to minimize blowback by decreasing back-pressure. Total success. The reports of 'blowback' are ... I don't know how to say this... seemingly not applicable to all MPXs? I can't believe there's a difference from MPX to MPX if they're they same generation. As best as I can figure, the rumor of bad blowback may have come from budget ammo with not-great powders... or very rapid/full-auto fire... or a perhaps a particular silencer? I don't know. But with Speer Lawman 147 grain, my short barrel, my voluminous first blast chamber and the time to 'decompression' because of the short barrel.... I'm just not seeing anything approaching "bad blowback".

If you do not intend to use a silencer, I wouldn't even question it: get the CZ. Use the money saved to buy hundreds and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

If you intend use a silencer, still give a long hard look at the CZ. It is blow-back, and I've never seen a block back that was both reliable with a full range of ammunition... AND... was low-gas when suppressed. Maybe the CZ is the Holy Grail, but if it's relying on bolt-mass to keep the breech closed, then it'll give you more felt-recoil between shots, and it will open early to accommodate very weak ammo... which means you'll get gassed a bit when suppressed. Will you get gassed enough to want to spend an extra $750? That's a different question.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Subscribing for interest. Also considering the Zenith MP5 clone in addition to the OPs two listed PCCs. I'm leaning heavily toward the MPX at the moment.

I don't know if it's relative to you or not as it involves 41p but I read on CZs webpage that the 2016 evos aren't being shipped to dealers for a few months due to some change in the design for importation (as well as adding 1/2x28 threading). Which means if everything goes right and they come in so you can find them in a couple months you will have very little time to get the form submitted before the 41P deadline. If things get delayed we may not find any Scorpions before the deadline. I haven't been able to find them at all lately so I'm wondering if more places are selling out of the 2015 models.
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Regarding the MPX, I posted a review of some accessories yesterday, including links to everything I have bought for it:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_45/4609 ... ws___.html

This might help someone lean toward an MPX due to all of the toys for it on the market.
Chase

suppressortools.com
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

To Trooper and Chase. You both have great articles and reviews on the MPX. Also to trooper I saw in one of your earlier posts this year I believe you did have review on your MPX. It was well done and streamline to see the lease well done my friend. This one goes out to Chase and his recent post with his link to AR 15.com. I was very impressed with the layout and the structure in which you did your post their. I usually don't go there because all the political riffraff and what not, but you made that quick link for me and made it really easy to navigate.

In the end I'm really am considering buying the MPX. I found one for a great price just over $1000 and close by me. Also if Chase could spare some of the magazines he has for his that will be really lovely since there are $70 apiece. :-). Lastly I can't forget I want to buy the bag that they make For it. The low-profile deployment bag. It looks really nice and sleek but I wish he just me in black. I really appreciate all your help and I will start posting some more pictures when I get the stuff in. Also if you not apprised to it. I am doing a 308 AR SBR build so check it out and subscribe to post.
Last edited by Michael Black 47 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Thank you for your compliments, Sir. Glad I could be of help!

Six of the magazines were from the significant Sig discount. Two were on sale last week someplace for $53 each. One came with it and the rest are from Gunbroker.
Chase

suppressortools.com
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

chase wrote:Thank you for your compliments, Sir. Glad I could be of help!

Six of the magazines were from the significant Sig discount. Two were on sale last week someplace for $53 each. One came with it and the rest are from Gunbroker.

I don't know how you were able to get a deal on mags out of gunbroker. I acquired a fnx 45 tactical to for $970 "certified steal" 8)
but when i called up they offer a discount when you buy there stuff for 20%. lastly whats the overall length with the collapse stock. need it for the form 1

I'm going for the mpx