MPX or CZ Scorpion

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Sorpion or MPX

MPX
50%
Scorpion
47%
Not a Sub gun fan
3%

Total votes: 32

TITAN308

Re: MPX or CZ Scorpion

Post by TITAN308 »

I have had a SBR Scorpion since March of 2015. Zero gas in the face suppressed. Little recoil, especially with 147gr or heavier. Gets my vote. lol

Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

TITAN308 wrote:I have had a SBR Scorpion since March of 2015. Zero gas in the face suppressed. Little recoil, especially with 147gr or heavier. Gets my vote. lol

I have to admit that CZ looks very legit. It a good job with setting up the rig itself. I'm just wondering what suppressor you are running.

For me I chose to run with the MPX and bought one recently. I will upload pictures soon.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

This is my MPX i bought today at the gun show with the octane 45 HD

here's with the fnx 45 tactial
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

I vote get both.

Scorpion SBR in work, but the MPX has been pretty nice...once you swap out the trigger and selector and add some other accessories to make it work for ya. A Multimount and the TiRant 9s have more gas blowback than a TiRant 45...absolutely love the MPX with the TiRant 45....of course...all 3-Lug.

Before the LaRue MBT, Elftmann Tactical Selector and other accessories:

And after:
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Looks 100 times better with the Magpul grip. That's one ugly PG from the factory on an otherwise very attractive gun.

Scorpion doesn't have looks on its side, though its futuristic look kind of grows on you

I have to agree, get both!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I prefer the before. The angled black grip looks better than the gray/green magpul.
Just my aesthetics though.

I also like my Glocks. The smooth functionality and total unpretentiousness.
I've added laser sight to triggerguard and Meprolite tritium sights. But no cosmetics.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

On a carbine that I'd shoot almost exclusively standing I like the grip angle of the magpul better, looks only I also perfer the factory grip.

On my 9mm AR I put on a 1911 grip adapter and houge grips. I much perfer it for house clearing to the Ergo grips on my other SBR (5.56). Not as nice in prone though.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

It's good to see that my post is still alive. I'm glad everyone is still around to see the development of mother project. If you want more pictures of how the MPX looks just ask. I don't plan on doing many modifications to my pistol for a while. Still the process of doing the form 1 for SBR and then I'll go ahead and buy the telescopic stock.

On a side note, I was wondering what ammunition do you use to run subsonic suppressed and one for defensive. Just trying to get a idea of what to invest into. Lastly I was wondering if anyone here runs a kydex magazine carrier for their MPX. I haven't seen much online being advertised for carrying the magazines.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I think the Fredom munitions 147 remanufactured is a good mix of quality and price for practice. Fed 147 hydrashock for defense and Fiocchi 158 ball is stupid quiet if it stabilizes well.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I think the Fredom munitions 147 remanufactured is a good mix of quality and price for practice. Fed 147 hydrashock for defense and Fiocchi 158 ball is stupid quiet if it stabilizes well.
I heard that the hydrashock was good ammunition. I have also heard that has some expansion problems. I don't know much about the Fiocchi 158 ball, but it will be interesting to look into it. For me I've always been a fan of the HST +P from federal. I use in my 45 ACP for my XD 45 tactical and FNX tactical 45.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

The 127 +P+ HST is my go to supersonic round. The 147 hydrashock should stay subsonic.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

[quote="CanOfWhooppass"]The 127 +P+ HST is my go to supersonic round. The 147 hydrashock should stay subsonic.[/quote

I see where you're coming from, There is always a compromise. One is for having fun and one is for being quiet while lethal the same time. That expansion is very important to say the lease. thank you for your input it is very much welcome and appreciated.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I haven't tried the +P+ suppressed, it might be a huge amount of back pressure and batter the action. I use it for a carry round for my Glock 19 or carbine with no suppressor, both use glock mags.

I have 100% faith in the 147 Hydrashock suppressed though, they were a common food for MP5'S back in the 90's and I've seen the results.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I haven't tried the +P+ suppressed, it might be a huge amount of back pressure and batter the action. I use it for a carry round for my Glock 19 or carbine with no suppressor, both use glock mags.

I have 100% faith in the 147 Hydrashock suppressed though, they were a common food for MP5'S back in the 90's and I've seen the results.

If you are interested in a new rendition of defensive ammunition from federal. Take a look at the link I'm posting. It has great weight and is still subsonic.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... px?id=1112
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I got my ammo confused. The 127 +P+ I use is winchester SXT not Federal HST. The Fed personal defence looks good, I'll try a box.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I got my ammo confused. The 127 +P+ I use is winchester SXT not Federal HST. The Fed personal defence looks good, I'll try a box.

No problem. I see of o can run some rounds through my mpx and maybe my m&p9 compact too.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

whiterussian1974 wrote:I prefer the before. The angled black grip looks better than the gray/green magpul.

I've added laser sight to triggerguard and Meprolite tritium sights. But no cosmetics.
That Magpul MOE K2+ Pistol Grip has a rubbery coating on it that makes it look different than black. To me, I really like the angle of the MOE K2+ and the rubber texture compared with the MPX factory grip. The side panels and the vertical grip aid in my thumb break grip which I prefer on SBRs.

147gr AE, 124 gr AE Suppressor ammo all work great and are of course subsonic. Freedom Munitions 165gr Hush ammo is dang quiet..but will not lock back the bolt on an empty mag on the MPX.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

seattlite wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:I prefer the before. The angled black grip looks better than the gray/green magpul.

That Magpul MOE K2+ Pistol Grip has a rubbery coating on it that makes it look different than black. To me, I really like the angle of the MOE K2+ and the rubber texture compared with the MPX factory grip. The side panels and the vertical grip aid in my thumb break grip which I prefer on SBRs.

147gr AE, 124 gr AE Suppressor ammo all work great and are of course subsonic. Freedom Munitions 165gr Hush ammo is dang quiet..but will not lock back the bolt on an empty mag on the MPX.
I have experience with freedom ammunition. Especially their hush ammo line in 165 gr. Like you said it's super quiet but it doesn't lock back for s--t. :lol:

For me and try to find nice happy median for ammo. Something that can be ran defensively and not blow my ears out. Especially while suppressed. I already have a choice for plinking ammo so that is not a problem at all.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Michael Black 47 wrote:
seattlite wrote:

I have experience with freedom ammunition. Especially their hush ammo line in 165 gr. Like you said it's super quiet but it doesn't lock back for s--t. :lol:

For me and try to find nice happy median for ammo. Something that can be ran defensively and not blow my ears out. Especially while suppressed. I already have a choice for plinking ammo so that is not a problem at all.
Is it possible to get a lighter spring for this shooting?

One possibility would be to consider obtaining a spare spring and cut out some
windings as has been done in the past for pistols.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I'd see if the 158 Fiocchi lock back first. I haven't compared side by side with 165 hush, but I think just as quiet.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I'd see if the 158 Fiocchi lock back first. I haven't compared side by side with 165 hush, but I think just as quiet.
I run the 165 on my M&P9c with a octane 45 HD "wet" and it was so quiet that it sounded like a small child tapping his finger on a school book really hard. 8) but it sucks at cycling. But stupid quiet. birds don't even fly away. They were at the range and they are wild and not condition to people.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I've got a Beretta CX4 Storm, which is a full-length carbine in 9mm. I've never had 147 anything go supersonic.... though perhaps that's due in part to my living in largely southern, coastal areas. I don't see how the shorter-barreled MPX could get super-sonic with 147 grain because of this.

The biggest differences in 9mm subsonic aren't the velocities, but rather, the quality of the powders used. American Eagle 147 TCMJ, for example, always gave a sand-blasting, gritty blow-back in the Storm. 147 WWB does the same. Hornady, on the other hand, uses a cleaner burning powder and delivers not only less blow-back, but a cleaner blow-back as well. Speer "Lawman" in 147 grain FMJ, has also been very clean-burning and pleasant to shoot.

I haven't shot Federal Hydrashocks, but I suspect that they, and any other top-tier defensive ammo, will use a clean burning powder and improve both the quality and quantity of the blowback.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

TROOPER wrote:
The biggest differences in 9mm subsonic aren't the velocities, but rather, the quality of the powders used. American Eagle 147 TCMJ, for example, always gave a sand-blasting, gritty blow-back in the Storm. 147 WWB does the same. Hornady, on the other hand, uses a cleaner burning powder and delivers not only less blow-back, but a cleaner blow-back as well. Speer "Lawman" in 147 grain FMJ, has also been very clean-burning and pleasant...
that's good information. I don't have any 9mm subs, or a pistol can (yet). But I'm toying with the idea. If I have to invest in more/different ammo I'd rather not waste cash on low quality stuff
Playhard321

Post by Playhard321 »

My MPX Gen2 will not cycle new or rem 147 gr. Freedom Munitions ammo. Sadly, this is what I primarily use with all my glocks and works great. Sig told me that it was a common problem and for me to try "name brand" ammo. So far everything I've tried will cycle except the freedom munitions 147's. I've tested Fiocchi, American Eagle, Speer Lawman and Federal(black box) and all work flawlessly.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Cycle as in feed into the chamber or eject and pick up another?