Critique my list

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Sudden Impact

Critique my list

Post by Sudden Impact »

Went to local shop and ordered the following: Sparrow 22, Osprey 45, Hybrid and a Harvester 30 from Silencerco.

I plan on using the Osprey on 45 acp and 9MM.

The Hybrid is going to be dedicated to a 10.5" SBR 300 BLk while the Harvester is for a .308 bolt gun that will actually see very little use

but may step up to a 300 WM in the future. I don't hunt anymore but don't enjoy muzzle blast either.

The dealer had the Osprey 45 in stock so that deal is made. (One in jail for who knows how long.)

He indicated he expected to have the others in the next two months.

Soooo, what says the hive one my picks? Any recommendations for better cans for less $? (I m on a budget.) :D
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Critique my list

Post by poikilotrm »

You should have gotten two of each. That is my regret, soon to be remedied.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Good cans but why choose a multi can to be a dedicated 300 Blk can? I'd have gone Octane 9 or Omega if it had to be Silencerco
Sudden Impact

Post by Sudden Impact »

quiettime, I will look into those other suppressors.

I don't really have to buy Siiencerco but those seem to be the ones the dealer says they will be getting in soon.

Thanks for the information!

I'm kinda new at this so all advice is really appreciated.''

BTW, poikilotrm, I wish I could!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Your first question might be who do you want to buy from.

In state shop if it's in stock price might be highest but straight to form 4 so about 150 days. May be very limited in choices and the may push what they have.

Out of state shop in stock, might be able to save $ buy form 3 and then 4 so more like 210 days. Huge selection.

Wait for local shop to get inventory in may not be much quicker.

If 41P matters to you, form 4 should be sent in June at latest.
Last edited by CanOfWhooppass on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Sudden Impact wrote:quiettime, I will look into those other suppressors.

I don't really have to buy Siiencerco but those seem to be the ones the dealer says they will be getting in soon.
And they're great choices from a solid company with a great track record.

If you ever plan on shooting cast bullets in your 300 you would want a can that comes apart for cleaning (like the Octane). If you will only ever shoot jacketed ammo you don't need this feature. BTW, the Octane is only rated for subsonic on the 300 Blk.

The Harvester would also work well for your 300 if you do not plan on shooting cast and will have a limited fire schedule (i.e. no mag dumps/sustained rapid fire)
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Sudden Impact-
What state are you in? I don't see anything wrong with any of the cans on your list with the exception noted above about dedicating a larger bore can (Hybrid) to a 300BLK and pretty much only a 300BLK. I run a Liberty Mystic 9mm can on a 9.5" 300BLK with good results, but comparing the .40" exit hole in a 9mm can to a .50" + hole in a 458 can is a big difference. If you're looking for lightweight in a 308 can for a 10+" 300BLK, there are better options out there than the Hybrid in my ever so humble opinion. I've been very happy with my 11.5 ounce Thunderbeast Ultra 7 on 16" 308Win, 9.5" 300BLK and 12" 6.8. But, if shooting bare lead bullets in the 300BLK, that's not the one I'd recommend- if so, you need to be looking for a take apart can. The Liberty Mystic is a 9mm can that is rated for supersonic (not just subsonic) 300BLK from a 8" barrel and it is take apart so you can clean the lead off is shooting cast lead subs. The new Mystic X is under 11 ounces, but not rated for 308 Win Supers. Liberty also has a new 45ACP can that is basically the same as the Mystic-X except a 45 cal core. I think it's called the Centurion.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Get an Omega or Saker instead of the Hybrid and Harvester.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
JPB

Post by JPB »

MJF1911 wrote:Get an Omega or Saker instead of the Hybrid and Harvester.
First, I agree with the above. I would also recommend more than one .22 can. Since you have a mono core (Sparrow) I'd go for a stackable alternative (SiCo Spectre II, DA Mask, AAC Element 2, etc..). Something with a steel stack for easy routine cleaning. You don't know it now, but the .22 cans will bring you the most enjoyment and will get shot the most. You can't have enough of them.

In my experience, while cool, pistol cans are the least practical (except .22). The others you can set and forget, pistol cans, due to the booster, require much care and feeding.