Rugged Obsidian 45 Availability

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Meridian

Rugged Obsidian 45 Availability

Post by Meridian »

Has anyone seen a Rugged Obsidian 45 available for sale since the first ones were shipped? I'm having a hard time finding one anywhere, in-state or online.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rugged Obsidian 45 Availability

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Our inbound shipment is pre-sold, and I would imagine that's the case with most dealers.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Yeah I've been looking for weeks. Shot one last weekend and it's amazing. Will be worth the wait. Rugged says they are cranking out cans left and right
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Silencer shop just got some in that are not all pre sold.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:Silencer shop just got some in that are not all pre sold.
All gone :shock:
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

quiettime wrote:
CanOfWhooppass wrote:Silencer shop just got some in that are not all pre sold.
All gone :shock:
I spoke with them, they got 150 in and had 130 presold. I don't think they lasted an hour.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I happen to know someone who had one of the pre-sold serial numbers :mrgreen:
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

I got their email, but because dealers near me have not set up their prices, what was listed was about $100 higher.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
furiousMG

Post by furiousMG »

I have my serial # and just waiting for it to ship. :D
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I've got my serial number too, and my price was 100 higher than expected also. Might be able to clear up the billing today or not, either way I'm happy, I didn't think I had any chance of finding one before 41F and higher price is what I'd pay local anyway. Totally unexpected purchase, I thought I was done this year except maybe a form 1 to SBR existing AR. This year I completely lost my mind trying to get all my wants purchased before the changes.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

FYI from Silencer Shop. Good news is they seem to have production in high gear. Hopefully all the stocking dealers will be getting more soon.

STOCK NOTICE

If you received a "Back In-Stock" notification for the Obsidian on 4/28/2016 - and are reading this - we apologize.  We received a little over 500 Obsidians and sold them out in the course of a couple hours.  We are hoping to have another batch available in the coming 3-4 weeks so please join the waitlist again if you are still interested in the Obsidian and didn't make this batch!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Hansohn Brothers had them yesterday too, and are also sold out today. Obsidian is a hot can right now.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

quiettime wrote:Hansohn Brothers had them yesterday too, and are also sold out today. Obsidian is a hot can right now.
Its amazing how such slight gains in performance can cause a frenzied mob. I wonder how many could tell the difference between it and an Octane, Tirant, Ghost, etc if shots were 10 seconds apart?

Speaking as a grinning idiot in the frenzied crowd who just threw money at it of course.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:Its amazing how such slight gains in performance can cause a frenzied mob. I wonder how many could tell the difference between it and an Octane, Tirant, Ghost, etc if shots were 10 seconds apart?
Very true. Obsidian is quite literally a modular Octane. They can even share the same pistons.... which is what I'm after for my Octane.
Rugged's pistons are non-slotted and thus prevent any blowback and mess.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

rimshaker wrote:..Obsidian is quite literally a modular Octane...
Close but not literally. Baffles have an extra feature in the Obsidian which make it quieter. Maybe not enough to justify purchase if you already have an Octane but was enough performance gain to encourage me to buy my first pistol can. Plus I like the idea of spending money with a great company

...and the name, I just like saying it... Ob-SIDian :lol:
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

quiettime wrote:
rimshaker wrote:..Obsidian is quite literally a modular Octane...
Close but not literally. Baffles have an extra feature in the Obsidian plus it's about 1.5 oz lighter than the Octane. Maybe not enough to justify purchase if you already have an Octane but was enough performance gain to encourage me to buy my first pistol can. Plus I like the idea of spending money with a great company
I already have a Revolution 45 which is probably closer to the "modular Octane". The Obsidian may be "bragging rites" quieter, but offer no practical advantage when the walking dead come for us. But my wife is a shooter also and if I expect to get a quiet pistol of my own, I needed to buy two anyway!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

mars wrote:I got their email, but because dealers near me have not set up their prices, what was listed was about $100 higher.
Got an answer from Silencer Shop. Basic the shops set the price and everyone in my area just happened to agree upon a price $100 higher than the usual markup. Oh well, not like it would be cheaper if sitting on a local stores shelf.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

SS is no longer selling retail, they're a distributor only. They're setting up the deal through their dealer network who can charge whatever, but they cannot charge you any extra for transfer etc
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

quiettime wrote:SS is no longer selling retail, they're a distributor only. They're setting up the deal through their dealer network who can charge whatever, but they cannot charge you any extra for transfer etc
That's how they explained it to me, I just think that when every single local they have lists the exact same price which is about 3 times the usual rate, they are conspiring to keep prices higher instead of competing.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Does seem funny but I bet they have different pricing levels rather than just arbitrary numbers
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Might be sugested sell by manufacturer, either way not out of line with local pricing anyway. Just trying to get a bargin if I can.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:
quiettime wrote:SS is no longer selling retail, they're a distributor only. They're setting up the deal through their dealer network who can charge whatever, but they cannot charge you any extra for transfer etc
That's how they explained it to me, I just think that when every single local they have lists the exact same price which is about 3 times the usual rate, they are conspiring to keep prices higher instead of competing.
Many dealers are too lazy (or don't want to) update their pricing.
HansohnBrothers

Post by HansohnBrothers »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
CanOfWhooppass wrote:
Many dealers are too lazy (or don't want to) update their pricing.
And that's their loss I think. I will have more Obsidians in the next few weeks but trying to beat the July deadline is going to be impossible for form 3s.
Hansohn Brothers, LLC
Culpeper, VA
www.HansohnBrothers.com
540-748-8155
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

WE have a few left.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

AHHHHHHHHHHHJJ##/!

Silencer Shop screwed up and even though I got my order placed in the first 15 minutes and was assigned a serial number, I now have no serial number and am on the waiting list with very little chance of making 41P. Computer glitch and they can't do anything about it.

On the bright side I've got some great cans that will make it before then. I hope I'm the only one this happened too, not a good feeling.