.45 acp can option

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

flyingbullseye

.45 acp can option

Post by flyingbullseye »

I'm now looking at making one last purchase before 41p goes into effect and want to suppress my 1911 .45. I'm at the crossroads between 2 cans. The first one is the Octane 45 HD. That one I know about and am familiar with. The other is the Innovative arms shephard 45. I've tried to do some research on it but only so much comes up. From what I can find it appears as if it's a improved ti-rant design and seems to be well made.

Both are in stock which is why its just these two I'm looking at.

Here's the dilemma.
The shephard is less expensive costing $530, the Octane is $750. The $220 I save could pay for the cost of the stamp if I am gaining nothing with the SiCo.
Both are similar to size and weight
Both are user serviceable
The shephard is Al baffle while the Octane is SS. How much of a difference on a pistol would that make if any?
Both are supposed to be full auto rated. Don't care as its going on a 1911 but that at speaks to each cans durability.
Both as far as I can find seem to be close or the same suppression wise.
CS is good for both companies, at least the little I could find on IA.

What am I getting for the extra $220 if I go with the Octane? Does anyone have any experience with the Shephard and how does it compare to the SiCo can? I'd like to make my purchase next week so any user feedback will be helpful.
SigM4

Re: .45 acp can option

Post by SigM4 »

At this point it's as much about the CS as it is the can for me. SilencerCo is second to none in that area. Also, as you noted the difference in baffle construction would be enough for me.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Call Silencer Shop and see if you can back order a Rugged Obsidian. They're guaranteeing 41f deadline if an item is purchased (in stock) by 7/6.

I paid 704 through my powered by dealer.

The Obsidian is awesome. I shot Rugged's pistol with my ammo at NFA Review Shoot and I was amazed how good it sounds.
flyingbullseye

Post by flyingbullseye »

I can get either can local, about a 25 minute drive for me. I've narrowed my list down to these two, the osprey would be in the mix but it isn't in stock.
furiousMG

Post by furiousMG »

I would choose the Octane myself based on the stainless baffles versus the aluminum. I like to tumble my baffles in stainless media so aluminum would be the deal breaker.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

I have 2 Octane 45s, so it's obvious which I prefer. Like has been said above the CS and SS baffles make it the choice. I too clean my baffles in SS media.
If you have a DD214 you can get Speq pricing during the month of May.
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

I don't know anything about the Shepherd but with the Octane 45 you have mounts that will also work on the Obsidian 45 from Rugged. So you may pay more upfront but if you are considering another can later such as the Obsidian, or even an Osprey, you already have mounts that will work.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
Hned

Post by Hned »

Because of its mount versatility and its stainless steel baffles, go with the Octane 45. However, if you are receptive to a great alternative, Quiet Riot Firearms has the Rugged Obsidian 45 (which would give you some added versatility for possible use with other firearms) available for purchase now.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Hned wrote:Quiet Riot Firearms has the Rugged Obsidian 45 (which would give you some added versatility for possible use with other firearms) available for purchase now.
I wonder why they still haven't updated their site to show it in stock.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
flyingbullseye

Post by flyingbullseye »

So now I'm updating my list. I'm taking the shephard off the list and adding 2 more. How does each compare to each other performance wise?

Revolution 45
Octane 45HD
Ti-rant 45M?
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

For sound unless you literally held one in each hand and took turns shooting them you probably could not tell any difference, they all work well. IMO Tirant is hardest to clean due to Aluminum baffles 3rd place, Octane has best customer service first place.

I got a Revolution 45 for the size switching and price, but once I got it realized it's a pain so will always be full size. Still might of picked it over the Octane for price...
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

The Ti-Rant 45M has hardened 17-4 PH SS baffles in the main stack, and 7075 Aluminum baffles in the secondary stack (that really don't get very dirty).
My vote is for the 45M as it is modular, and a absolute riot to shoot in short or long configuration.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome