DIY Hybrid suppressor?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

monster

DIY Hybrid suppressor?

Post by monster »

Hello all,

I have seen advertisements for hybrid (multiple caliber) suppressors and wondered if this be something that can be a DIY project...
Have any of y'all built a multicaliber suppressor? I picked up an EBook describing on how to build a .22lr suppressor but I want to eventually build something that can work for .223,.22lr,9mm,357sig and .40SW.

What about legality of doing so? I understand the tube of the suppressor can be engraved and if that is accomplished, I don't see why having innards that are replaceable/ swappable as being a problem...

I appreciate the input!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: DIY Hybrid suppressor?

Post by Capt. Link. »

monster wrote:Hello all,

I have seen advertisements for hybrid (multiple caliber) suppressors and wondered if this be something that can be a DIY project...
Have any of y'all built a multicaliber suppressor? I picked up an EBook describing on how to build a .22lr suppressor but I want to eventually build something that can work for .223,.22lr,9mm,357sig and .40SW.

What about legality of doing so? I understand the tube of the suppressor can be engraved and if that is accomplished, I don't see why having innards that are replaceable/ swappable as being a problem...

I appreciate the input!
Other than swap-able replaceable parts being illegal multiple caliber suppressors are very doable.You need to build them with multiple thread mounts to make them practical.I would include .45 acp and use titanium so the larger suppressor would not be a burden.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Capt. Link. wrote:Other than swap-able replaceable parts being illegal multiple caliber suppressors are very doable.You need to build them with multiple thread mounts to make them practical.I would include .45 acp and use titanium so the larger suppressor would not be a burden.
Different wipes over the baffles would be ok. But swapping non-replacable parts would certainly be illegal.

As Capt mentions, build it for the largest caliber. Then have multiple adapter sleeves with different ID threads and the same OD thread to screw into the tube. Maybe use a locking tooth to be sure it doesn't unscrew unless depressed.

The main downside is that unless one uses degradable wipes, one is stuck with a less than optimally performing can. The bore aperatures are larger than is best for smaller calibers. But at least you only pay 1 stamp and make 1 can that is used across multiple platforms. :)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Wipe type suppressors can be smaller and lighter than conventional builds but suffer greatly from in-accuracy caused by the wipes.While tiny high performance wipe suppressors are very impressive they are poor for sporting purposes.Nine plus K baffles or Omega types would probably work well and not degrade accuracy.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
monster

Post by monster »

So I called my local ATF branch and spoke to an employee. I was told, (his opinion) that it was okay to have swappable innards consistent with multiple calibers... He said when filing the from 1, I would have to list all the calibers the silencer was compatable with. This is awesome news but, I am still skeptical, he suggested I contact that Firearms branch just to be sure. I know people write to the ATF and receive opinion letters, anyone know how I can do this. Even he said it is understandable to want to pay one $200 dollar stamp for one suppressor. I even told him about the suppressors on the market that are hybrid and do both pistol and rifle and are completely legal and he agreed but again, he suggested I contact that technology branch. He told me I can also look at the ATF guidebook, I did and it says "Any of the above illustrated components meet the definition of a firearm silencer and are subject to the NFA. NOTE: the language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer" If I file a form 1 with those calibers listed, and my original design included innards consistent with that suppressor, I don't think it would qualify as "spare or replacements"... Ill play it safe and propose my question to them in writing. Hopefully they produce something in writing in my favor and then I can file a form 1 and build my first!
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

How about making baffles with an adjustable "iris" ? Same part, adjusted to different calibers.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

monster wrote:So I called my local ATF branch and spoke to an employee. I was told, (his opinion) that it was okay to have swappable innards consistent with multiple calibers... He said when filing the from 1, I would have to list all the calibers the silencer was compatable with. This is awesome news but, I am still skeptical, he suggested I contact that Firearms branch just to be sure. I know people write to the ATF and receive opinion letters, anyone know how I can do this. Even he said it is understandable to want to pay one $200 dollar stamp for one suppressor. I even told him about the suppressors on the market that are hybrid and do both pistol and rifle and are completely legal and he agreed but again, he suggested I contact that technology branch. He told me I can also look at the ATF guidebook, I did and it says "Any of the above illustrated components meet the definition of a firearm silencer and are subject to the NFA. NOTE: the language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer" If I file a form 1 with those calibers listed, and my original design included innards consistent with that suppressor, I don't think it would qualify as "spare or replacements"... Ill play it safe and propose my question to them in writing. Hopefully they produce something in writing in my favor and then I can file a form 1 and build my first!
Most of the restrictive laws that have been imposed on us since the 1934 NFA by BATFE have been caused by letters forcing a ruling.The person you talked to knows nothing about the law.A manufacturer can do things a F1 builder can't.Our best hope is getting suppressors deregulated and removed from the NFA registry.
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

Capt. Link. wrote:
monster wrote:So I called my local ATF branch and spoke to an employee. I was told, (his opinion) that it was okay to have swappable innards consistent with multiple calibers... He said when filing the from 1, I would have to list all the calibers the silencer was compatable with. This is awesome news but, I am still skeptical, he suggested I contact that Firearms branch just to be sure. I know people write to the ATF and receive opinion letters, anyone know how I can do this. Even he said it is understandable to want to pay one $200 dollar stamp for one suppressor. I even told him about the suppressors on the market that are hybrid and do both pistol and rifle and are completely legal and he agreed but again, he suggested I contact that technology branch. He told me I can also look at the ATF guidebook, I did and it says "Any of the above illustrated components meet the definition of a firearm silencer and are subject to the NFA. NOTE: the language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer" If I file a form 1 with those calibers listed, and my original design included innards consistent with that suppressor, I don't think it would qualify as "spare or replacements"... Ill play it safe and propose my question to them in writing. Hopefully they produce something in writing in my favor and then I can file a form 1 and build my first!
Most of the restrictive laws that have been imposed on us since the 1934 NFA by BATFE have been caused by letters forcing a ruling.The person you talked to knows nothing about the law.A manufacturer can do things a F1 builder can't.Our best hope is getting suppressors deregulated and removed from the NFA registry.

+1000

DO NOT WRITE THE LETTER

You can NOT have spare parts without registering each part as its own suppressor. Manufacturers can submit plans and samples to tech branch and be awarded variances, there is no way for individuals to do this.