Form 3....still wating....

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Toetagger
Silent Operator

Form 3....still wating....

Post by Toetagger »

My form 3 was submitted on Jan 25 and approved two months later on Mar 25. Still waiting for it to reach the originating dealer. DANG..I want to get on with the Form 4 wait and this is killing me. 79 days and counting...... Not looking for answers necessarily, just venting a bit to people who'd understand. Thanks for listening. LOL
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 3....still wating....

Post by Tony M. »

Toetagger wrote:My form 3 was submitted on Jan 25 and approved two months later on Mar 25. Still waiting for it to reach the originating dealer. DANG..I want to get on with the Form 4 wait and this is killing me. 79 days and counting...... Not looking for answers necessarily, just venting a bit to people who'd understand. Thanks for listening. LOL
Don't feel too bad, I'm still waiting on a F3 that was supposed to be submitted last january (yeah, january of '15) and I have little hope of seeing the can ever.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

Tony M. wrote:
Toetagger wrote:My form 3 was submitted on Jan 25 and approved two months later on Mar 25. Still waiting for it to reach the originating dealer. DANG..I want to get on with the Form 4 wait and this is killing me. 79 days and counting...... Not looking for answers necessarily, just venting a bit to people who'd understand. Thanks for listening. LOL
Don't feel too bad, I'm still waiting on a F3 that was supposed to be submitted last january (yeah, january of '15) and I have little hope of seeing the can ever.

OMG.....that's Crazy!!! So are you just out the $ you spent to purchase the can?
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Why are you waiting to file the Form 4 if it has been approved?
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

My local dealer won't file until he has the can in his possession. I'll try and persuade him again.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Toetagger wrote:
Tony M. wrote:

OMG.....that's Crazy!!! So are you just out the $ you spent to purchase the can?
It certainly looks that way. Thankfully it wasn't an expensive can, but I'd still like to get either it or a refund, but since the dealer is almost totally non-responsive... well... I think I'm just out the cash.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Tony M. wrote:
It certainly looks that way. Thankfully it wasn't an expensive can, but I'd still like to get either it or a refund, but since the dealer is almost totally non-responsive... well... I think I'm just out the cash.
I sure hate to hear of any dealers doing these kind of things, spread their name everywhere you can and save some others from the trouble of dealing with them.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

curtistactical wrote:
Tony M. wrote:
I sure hate to hear of any dealers doing these kind of things, spread their name everywhere you can and save some others from the trouble of dealing with them.
Their last Email to me said they had (finally, over a year late) filed the F3 to my dealer, so I'll give them a little more time before I start blasting them publicly. I'm not holding my breath, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for a little while longer.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
Talked to my local SOT and he's willing to file the Form 4. I'll drive down there Friday and get the Form 4 ball rolling. Thanks.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
Thanks for helping me get my head around that. Hadn't even considered that I could file once it was approved because of what I had been told. Got the 4 sent last Monday and they ran my debit card yesterday. Thanks again!!
kashed420

Post by kashed420 »

dont mean to hyjack the thread but i have a question.... 2 days ago i received a scan of the form 3 that was submitted for my new can. i took that into my dealer here and we filled out the form 4 with that information that was on the form 3 scan. i mailed out the form 4 with the check and trust info yesterday but in actuality the form 3 wont be approved for another month or so.... will i get a denial on the form 4 if the form 3 hasn't been approved yet? thanks
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

kashed420 wrote:dont mean to hyjack the thread but i have a question.... 2 days ago i received a scan of the form 3 that was submitted for my new can. i took that into my dealer here and we filled out the form 4 with that information that was on the form 3 scan. i mailed out the form 4 with the check and trust info yesterday but in actuality the form 3 wont be approved for another month or so.... will i get a denial on the form 4 if the form 3 hasn't been approved yet? thanks
I think different shops have different comfort zones as to what they will do. One of my local shops will not let me start a form 4 until they have the item in their hand to inspect. Another will as soon as the form 3 shows approved in the system even if not in hand. I know of at least one out of state place that appears to start the form 4 before the form 3 is approved. It's not an uncommon event and I am not aware of anyone getting a denial due to timing issues.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

Wait times have apparently skyrocketed since January. Took ATF six weeks to cash my check and 10 weeks just to approve the transfer from SilencerShop to the dealer. At this rate it will be 6-9 months to finish the process.
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:
kashed420 wrote:dont mean to hyjack the thread but i have a question.... 2 days ago i received a scan of the form 3 that was submitted for my new can. i took that into my dealer here and we filled out the form 4 with that information that was on the form 3 scan. i mailed out the form 4 with the check and trust info yesterday but in actuality the form 3 wont be approved for another month or so.... will i get a denial on the form 4 if the form 3 hasn't been approved yet? thanks
I think different shops have different comfort zones as to what they will do. One of my local shops will not let me start a form 4 until they have the item in their hand to inspect. Another will as soon as the form 3 shows approved in the system even if not in hand. I know of at least one out of state place that appears to start the form 4 before the form 3 is approved. It's not an uncommon event and I am not aware of anyone getting a denial due to timing issues.
The official BATFE answer is you can NOT transfer what you do not have. Therefore dealers are NOT supposed to start form4s until they have the actual item in hand. And they can't get the item in hand until the form3 clears, gets back to the original holder, items ships to them, and they enter it into their log. Some dealers (like silencer shop) have an approved variance to allow them to deviate from this. Other dealers tight walk the line without official approval. However I have never heard of a denial of a form4 for this, but I have heard of dealers being warned and scolded for submitting earlier than they should.