Griffin Armament 3-lug will also fit a ....

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Griffin Armament 3-lug will also fit a ....

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

It seems that quite a few people are putting the GA 3-lug on Octane's to shave off that inch or so from the longer Silencerco 3-lug design.
I was recently watching YouTube Omega 9K videos and found someone using the GA on it. Wow that is short! This got me woundering if it also worked on the Hybrid, as in theory I expect it would, or others?

I know there are warrantee concerns, but that aside anyone have experience, side by side or not, on the mismatches? Anyone ever seen both metered to see if the slightly smaller blast chamber changes much?
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Re: Griffin Armament 3-lug will also fit a ....

Post by Fulliautomatix »

I can't say for sure, but I do know that the Hybrid is a >1.5" diameter can, while the Octane is 1.375"
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Fulliautomatix wrote:I can't say for sure, but I do know that the Hybrid is a >1.5" diameter can, while the Octane is 1.375"
Hybrid kind of has two thread pitches: the larger is the same as the regular Omega and I believe also the Harvester Big Bore.
The piston housing screws into that thread and itself is threaded with the same threads as the Octane. The Silencerco 3-lug will screw into the Hybrid piston housing, I saw this first hand from a Silencerco rep localy. So I at least know it will thread in, if it has what it needs to seat the spring internaly or not, I don't know.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I see no reason why it would not fit the can, if it accepts all the octane mounts with the pistol adapter installed then the Griffin Armament 3 lug should fit just fine, the issue maybe the weight of the hybrid compared to the octane. I don't know if this would be significant enough to throw something off.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:I see no reason why it would not fit the can, if it accepts all the octane mounts with the pistol adapter installed then the Griffin Armament 3 lug should fit just fine, the issue maybe the weight of the hybrid compared to the octane. I don't know if this would be significant enough to throw something off.
There are certainly heavier and longer SMG cans that use a 3-lug and the Hybrid with Silencerco 3-lug is heavier and longer than with the GA 3-lug so I doubt weight is a deal breaker. I just haven't run across anyone who has shot one yet.

I have a GA Revolution 45 with 3-lug and have both an Octane 9k and a Hybrid coming, but they just got started on the long form 4's. I'm really excited about the Omega 9K adding only 4" to overall length of my SBR.

The Hybrid is more of a curiosity, my SBR runs the can under the handguard so the extra diamater isn't even noticable, the length is almost the same as the Revo45, but suppression numbers for 9mm is better. The Hybrid might end up one of the best sounding 9mm cans I own. All that extra volume from the fat diamater should really help with mag dumps in seconds and the .46 bore should cut way down on back pressure and gas face. Yes, very curious.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Per Rugged, "Yes, you can use Octane mounts with the Obsidian with no affect on the warranty."

So, one could use the GA 3-Lug mount that fits the Octane with the Rugged Obsidian.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

seattlite wrote:Per Rugged, "Yes, you can use Octane mounts with the Obsidian with no affect on the warranty."

So, one could use the GA 3-Lug mount that fits the Octane with the Rugged Obsidian.
That's not what Rugged said. I would ask for clarification before using the GA 3 lug mount.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
seattlite wrote:Per Rugged, "Yes, you can use Octane mounts with the Obsidian with no affect on the warranty."

That's not what Rugged said. I would ask for clarification before using the GA 3 lug mount.
Enlighten us....I just asked Rugged about Octane mounts and not the GA 3lug mounts on the Obsidian. I just extrapolted that GA 3lug mounts will work on Obisidian.....so what did Rugged say regarding GA 3lug mounts on the Obsidian?
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I know that the Obsidian works with Silencerco pistons but I didn't hear for sure that the thread pitch on the tube itself was the same. I should have my Obsidian this week and will do some experimenting. I use a GA 3 Lug on my Octane 45 HD, Octane 45k and Revolution 45. It would be nice if the Obsidian would use it as well but I just saw Hansohn Brothers has a Rugged 3 lug in stock worse case.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

From the picture I found it looks like the Rugged 3-lug adds minimal length as well.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

seattlite wrote:
AlabamaPaul wrote:

Enlighten us....I just asked Rugged about Octane mounts and not the GA 3lug mounts on the Obsidian. I just extrapolted that GA 3lug mounts will work on Obisidian.....so what did Rugged say regarding GA 3lug mounts on the Obsidian?
There's nothing to enlighten you about. The point is if you want to use the Griffin 3 lug be sure Rugged will still warranty the can. They have stated SilencerCo parts ore okay, but have not addressed those of other manufacturers.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
seattlite wrote:
AlabamaPaul wrote:
There's nothing to enlighten you about. The point is if you want to use the Griffin 3 lug be sure Rugged will still warranty the can. They have stated SilencerCo parts ore okay, but have not addressed those of other manufacturers.
Ahhh....intent of my post was not to infer nor extrapolate warranty when using the GA 3-lug mount from Rugged's statement....just fit.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

In my OP I said warrantee concerns aside, I understand their is risk and it it has been talked about in other threads. My premises is really that a 3-lug that is a good inch shorter than the Silencerco Octane version is apealing on the Octane and also any other Silencerco product as they show no signs of changing their 3-lug design.

Rugged makes a compact 3-lug so I probably wouldn't use a GA 3-lug on an Obsidian, but if it worked well, I might use a Rugged 3-lug on Silencerco product.

At least to me ,that extra inch is a noticable change in how a SBR balances and handles when your racing a shot timer doing drills.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Per Rugged: "We do not recommend GA products for use in the Obsidian as they have stated that the Revolution is built to different specs. We have not tested them in the Obsidian, so I cannot say whether they will work or not.

We’ll have our own internal 3-lug mount available in the next couple of months."