considering 9mm AR PDW build...

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

considering 9mm AR PDW build...

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I have a QC10 glock 9mm setup with a Sopmod stock, Blitzkrieg hydrolic buffer and GA Revo on Tros 5" 3lug under a 9" handguard that is my favorite black rifle to shoot. Just a fountain of quiet joy!

I also have a second QC10 Glock reciever that I want to do something with soon. It will get an Omega 9K next fall and I will put it on a Tros 3-lug 5" barrel as well.

I know I don't want another of what I already got so I'm leaning in the direction of as small and light as posible. Will do a 4" handguard to shoot without silencer at times or 7" which will prevent burns when it's hanging hot on drill days. Omega 9k with GA 3lug will stick out less than an inch from 7" handguard and Silencerco 3-lug sticks out about 2".

Where I'm torn is I'm all about performance and if handling or reliability sucks it will... well... suck!

Anyone here have any hands on with a PDW stock on a 9mm that can talk about reliability and handling. Anyone have a PDW stock, buffer, spring, bolt combo they really like?
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Re: considering 9mm AR PDW build...

Post by crazyelece »

No personal experience with the PDW type stocks for the AR in 9mm, but have read many issues with them over at ARFCOM.

Personally I think the AR in 9mm too heavy to be a PDW anyway. Have you considered other platforms?

If I had more money some on my radar are: Scorpion, Glock in a Roni (or similar) chasis, HK sp89/mp5k clone

Since you have glock lowers anyway a Glock SBR might fit right in
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Im not too worried about the weight of the build, almost anything i do will be considerably lighter than a 300aac or 5.56 Pdw.

We've got 7 different glock feds, a dozen 33rd and at least another dozen of other size glock mags. Just can't excited about a different 9mm platform in a PCC/SBR. Besides I'm broke from suppresogedon 41F but as long as I get the form1 in now, I can spend as I wait through the build.

If the 9mm PDW are too problematic, I'll probably just bump up to a minimal profile carbine stock and keep the rest of the plan, should still be able to get something backpack sized, might even go side folder.

Thanks for the warning, I'll go over to ARFCOM and look around.
JC in SC

Post by JC in SC »

I'm still waiting on my form 1 approval in order to fully evaluate it, but I'm really excited about my Law Tactical folding stock adapter. With an 8.5" 300 BO barrel, the total package should be easily carried in a backpack.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

JC in SC wrote:I'm still waiting on my form 1 approval in order to fully evaluate it, but I'm really excited about my Law Tactical folding stock adapter. With an 8.5" 300 BO barrel, the total package should be easily carried in a backpack.
That is a very cool setup, I know it can be done with a 9mm also, but restricts somewhat the bolt/buffer choices. Just starting to research the LAW adapter.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Anyone use a MVB 9MM ARC Stock?

Fireman did a video and gave good reviews on a 9mm DDLS.

Since the video they came out with a 9mm specific buffer and spring kit model. Could also move it to any other AR if is dosnt work out.
Leaning hard in this direction...
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I got the 9mm MVB ARC Stock and she is bueatiful. Now I'm stuck on the handguard. Using a Tros 5" 3lug and 4" handguard will put the end of the barrel about 1/2" past the end of the handguard for a compact OAL of 17 1/4" and extended 21 1/4" or so.... Sweeet!

Challenge is that the Omega 9K 1.5" will have to fit under the handguard on the 3-lug and I want to use a Gibbz side charge upper, so much more than a simple index tab that is easily cut off is a no go. I'd perfer a rail top and bottom for vertical grip, but no rail on the sides to snag stuff. All the under 4.3" handguards I've found miss a criteria, any ideas?
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I got the 9mm MVB ARC Stock and she is bueatiful. Now I'm stuck on the handguard. Using a Tros 5" 3lug and 4" handguard will put the end of the barrel about 1/2" past the end of the handguard for a compact OAL of 17 1/4" and extended 21 1/4" or so.... Sweeet!

Challenge is that the Omega 9K 1.5" will have to fit under the handguard on the 3-lug and I want to use a Gibbz side charge upper, so much more than a simple index tab that is easily cut off is a no go. I'd perfer a rail top and bottom for vertical grip, but no rail on the sides to snag stuff. All the under 4.3" handguards I've found miss a criteria, any ideas?
Get a Seekins Precision MCSR 7" hand guard. Cut the length down to whatever you want. Add rail section to bottom for v-grip.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
CanOfWhooppass wrote:I got the 9mm MVB ARC Stock and she is bueatiful. Now I'm stuck on the handguard. Using a Tros 5" 3lug and 4" handguard will put the end of the barrel about 1/2" past the end of the handguard for a compact OAL of 17 1/4" and extended 21 1/4" or so.... Sweeet!

Get a Seekins Precision MCSR 7" hand guard. Cut the length down to whatever you want. Add rail section to bottom for v-grip.
I've use the MCSR on several builds and considered cutting one back, but the angled vent slots don't allow for a perpendicular cut or even a clean angle.
Thanks for the thought though.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Yankee Hill Machine KR7 Handguard - Mini-Length - 4.15

Might of found one that works, but dont love the look, 1.75 ID, has anyone used this one? Would still like sugestions please.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I dont own but have shot and handled a few of the different pdw stocks. They really do look small util you realize that the interface is kinda a big block on the back of the receiver to adapt it. I didnt notice it until I shot a scorpion that had one on it. I looked back at my buddies pdw stock and it really does add a big block on the back. I compared it to a lwrc compact stock and the lwrc was smaller. I have a 10" 300 blackout I was going to buy a pdw stock for but now im considering the lwrc. The LWRC also has less crap to break and less training changes to get used to. I saw a guy at the range a while back cut the bejesus out of himself on a pdw stock, I didnt get a close look at which but I saw him cussing and throwing stuff into his bag as he wrapped his finger in a tshirt.

https://www.lwrci.com/p-361-lwrci-uciw- ... k-kit.aspx
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
BLDtylry

Post by BLDtylry »

Check out SLR Rifleworks. They have a few handguard options for short barrel setups. Here's my QC10 Glock Large Frame 5.5" 45ACP. Image is in the pistol setup with LAW folder and KAK shockwave; got SBR approved a week ago and haven't taken new photos. SBR is standard buffer tube and Magpul SL-K stock. I used a MVB on a 223 SBR and a LWRC Ultra compact stock on a 9mm SBR. The 45 has a standard buffer tube because I needed an extra heavy buffer because it is a blow back setup.

MCASSgt New River
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCASSgt New River »

TROS has a GREAT 5" barrels! I had their 5" 3-lug on my AR15 9mm and loved it. I would also suggest the Slash 9Q-T buffer, 11.5oz, as you will probably notice a LOT of ejection port noise. New this would cost you $140 +shipping.

Buffer Link:
http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine

Good luck with your build and post pics when your done. I switched platforms and bought an MKE (MP5 clone) and SBR'd that instead.

Respectfully,
Mike in Biloxi, MS
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'-That is Honor
HotGuns
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotGuns »

Here's one that I built. Runs great.

Troy stock.
Trijicon MRO
PSA Lower
XCaliber Firearms Seafire Diamond with QD mount.

Runs like a scalded dog.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

You might consider SBRing a SIG MPX ... are VERY quiet with an Octane 9 and Fiocchi 158 grainers. Piston should be more reliable.

Have had no difficulty with a Colt 9mm smg upper but must admit that the Glock mags ought to be better. The SIG mags are definitely better but are costly.

With supersonic loads, the longer barreled guns to hit a lot harder than pistol length barrels. You can really hear the difference on steel.
Fred Ziffle

Post by Fred Ziffle »

Mine is close to what you described but it's a Colt style lower. Just finished it up. Hope to get a chance to shoot it next weekend.

QC10 Lower and bolt, Gibbz upper, 5" Tros 3-lug barrel, ARC stock and buffer, YHM KR7 handguard
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

JC in SC wrote:I'm still waiting on my form 1 approval in order to fully evaluate it, but I'm really excited about my Law Tactical folding stock adapter. With an 8.5" 300 BO barrel, the total package should be easily carried in a backpack.
I have one of these on a 300blk build. Folded with an 8 inch barrel is it 18" overall, easily backpackable.

It does make use of a JP silent spring impossible, though.
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

Fred Ziffle wrote:Mine is close to what you described but it's a Colt style lower. Just finished it up. Hope to get a chance to shoot it next weekend.

QC10 Lower and bolt, Gibbz upper, 5" Tros 3-lug barrel, ARC stock and buffer, YHM KR7 handguard
What grip is this? Looks nice.
Fred Ziffle

Post by Fred Ziffle »

BlogSarge wrote: What grip is this? Looks nice.

http://www.tyrantcnc.com
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

BlogSarge wrote:
Fred Ziffle wrote:Mine is close to what you described but it's a Colt style lower. Just finished it up. Hope to get a chance to shoot it next weekend.

What grip is this? Looks nice.
Did you have to put a spacer in with the buffer or make a longer buffer? I have a stripped lower with an approved form 1 that I want to build up and I want to use one of those stocks.

Here is my 9mm AR. S&W M&P-15 lower, YHM 9mm buffer, JSE surplus 7" 9mm upper, CMMG ramped bolt, Hahn precision bottom-load mag block, BCM gunfighter charging handle (large). Metalform mags are the only ones I have tried that function 100%. C-products wouldn't let me load more than about 10 or 12 rounds max in the magazine, even with a loader. I couldn't figure out why. ASC was just crappy all-around and jammed fairly regularly. Metalform are the way to go (or better yet, brownells, which are just metalform with a better finish).

It just BARELY fits in my 5.11 select carry pack, but it fits. It also fits two spare mags in a MOLLE pouch, a silencer, plus some cleaning stuff, targets and some hear-pro.

Right after I got the stamp back:

With a ti-rant 9 on it:
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

Nevermind...they make a 9mm specific version of that stock:

https://mvbindustries.com/product/arc-s ... multi-pos/