Form 3 Wait Times...Am I missing something?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Randy300Blackout

Form 3 Wait Times...Am I missing something?

Post by Randy300Blackout »

Hey all, I just was curious to see what is the current wait time (approximately) for out of state transfers on Form 3's? I ask because my local Class 3 FFL (In Southwest Missouri) became a dealer for Dakota Silencer and they ordered me a Mack Brothers Varminter 3.0 back around February 17th. At the same time they ordered me a Silencer Co SpecWar from another distributor.

My point here is that they received the Form 3 and my SpecWar about 2-3 weeks back and I already filed my form 4. But, they are still waiting for the Form 3 to be issued back to Dakota Silencer. Both were ordered at the same time, I cannot confirm if the distributor for them was in my home state of Missouri but I believe I heard that Form 3's were taking about 2 Months. What is everyone else hearing? I am sure that Dakota Silencer may have batched the forms and probably did not send them out at the middle of February but I cannot be sure of that.

I am just wanting to make sure this does not drag out until July, and then I have a big mess to deal with on my Trust. FYI, I already have (7) suppressors in my collection so I have been around the block a bit but I have never dealt with Dakota Silencer.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Re: Form 3 Wait Times...Am I missing something?

Post by Toetagger »

My Form 3 was submitted Jan 25
Approved March 25
April 28 still not received by originating dealer who quickly contacted the ATF and they reissued it
Form 3 finally arrived May 2 and can was shipped

Luckily my local SOT agreed to submit Form 4 on April 18

Form 3's are getting excruciating at this point.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I don't know, I placed an order with Capitol Armory on Feb 29 and am still waiting on Form 3 to my dealer. Everybody is buying like crazy right now.

If you look at NFA Tracker, there is always that one or two that get approved really quickly. I envision one of the examiners grabbing a form out of the middle of the stack and chuckling to themselves :lol:
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

quiettime wrote: If you look at NFA Tracker, there is always that one or two that get approved really quickly. I envision one of the examiners grabbing a form out of the middle of the stack and chuckling to themselves :lol:
Or corrections, which I think a lot of people post on there to be "funny" or whatever it is. You'll see "one week approval!" posts on social media now and again--- not actually indicative of the time when it's really just a correction.

Or, in very VERY rare circumstances you can get a form expedited. A month and a half ago I saw a mid January form. The guy was a federal agent though, and the request was purely work related. Doesn't mean January forms were being done then, just that he had one high up agency contact another high up agency because they needed a can for something ASAP.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

I bought a Dead Air Mask suppressor from Capitol Armory a little over a month ago and it just arrived to the dealer in my state 3 days ago. Perhaps that will help you as far as the time frame it took for the Form 3.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

roodyrocker wrote:I bought a Dead Air Mask suppressor from Capitol Armory a little over a month ago and it just arrived to the dealer in my state 3 days ago. Perhaps that will help you as far as the time frame it took for the Form 3.
Hmm :?
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

I placed an order end of February, check was cashed beginning of April.... 6 weeks! Transfer to dealer happened one month later. So 10 weeks from order to dealer, now waiting on the form 4.

Pathetic. Why did it take 6 WEEKS to cash the check? Seems like it normally takes, at most, two weeks and in many cases around 10 days if the stats on NFATracker.com are to be believed.

I would love to know what actually happens at ATF for these form approvals and how long it actually takes to process one.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

My SOT just got my omega 9k yesterday. just above 7 weeks for the form 3. :lol:

Now i got to wait again for the dam form 4 :cry:
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Isn't the form 3 (dealer to dealer) really just a rubber stamp, that doesn't have anything to do with the end-user/buyer?
As long as the FFL/SOT license from one to the other is valid, "approved"?

Hope my latest purchase under trust makes it under the deadline (41P), as I haven't gotten it's form 3 yet either, and it's only been 3 weeks...
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

My MPX form 3 transfer was submitted 3/28 and approved 5/18.... just over 7 weeks.

And just an FYI for future MPX xfers: the correct model name should be "Sig MPX" not just "MPX" since that's how it's engraved on the lower.
Was damn lucky the F3 wasn't kicked back so close to the 41F deadline.
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

RPM509 wrote:Isn't the form 3 (dealer to dealer) really just a rubber stamp, that doesn't have anything to do with the end-user/buyer?
As long as the FFL/SOT license from one to the other is valid, "approved"?
Yeah it's just paperwork shuffling, but it still takes way too long.
Michael Black 47
Silent But Deadly

Post by Michael Black 47 »

Yes is very true a lot of work that seems be unnecessary. I'm surprised that they did not even attempt to digitize form 3 transfer years ago. For me I was surprised how fast my stuff got to me though I was expecting to be after the deadline. But I'm not complaining now, so I'm seeing my SOT tomorrow and doing the form 4
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

I bought my last one through the silencer shop, under trust and paid the tax stamp at the same time.
I emailed them yesterday asking for clarification on form 3 wait vice starting the form 4 and the 41F
interfering with mine etc. They responded basically saying all is OK, I am good to go since I already have a serial number.

Still would like the process to be done before 41F goes into effect though...
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
ryanr256

Post by ryanr256 »

RPM509 wrote:I bought my last one through the silencer shop, under trust and paid the tax stamp at the same time.
I emailed them yesterday asking for clarification on form 3 wait vice starting the form 4 and the 41F
interfering with mine etc. They responded basically saying all is OK, I am good to go since I already have a serial number.

Still would like the process to be done before 41F goes into effect though...

Similar situation here. Waiting on a Form 3 that was submitted on Apr. 23rd. My last suppressor purchase was in 2014 and that Form 3 took six weeks, but the Form 4 wasn't approved until September.

[edit]Form 3 approved on June 10th and Form 4 submitted on June 3rd.[/edit]

-Bob