How long after turning in your app do they charge your CC?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

How long after turning in your app do they charge your CC?

Post by edteach »

I was told that my application was turned in, but I still after two weeks not see a charge on my CC. The dealer says they will charge when they get to the application. Thanks for any help.
DOGON
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Re: How long after turning in your app do they charge your CC?

Post by mars »

usually check or money order, unless you did the online forms, then it would be a CC. so which is it?
the POWPOW now goes powpow
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

mars wrote:usually check or money order, unless you did the online forms, then it would be a CC. so which is it?
I filled out the form at the dealer and gave him the information. Put my CC number on the form, dealer told me they had serial numbers of the suppressor I wanted that he put on the application and sent it in a couple of weeks ago.
DOGON
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

i only have old form 4s to go by, but it was either check or money order. my last suppressor purchase, i paid with a CC and the dealer wrote out a check to pay for the stamp. may be others can chime in.

edit: if he didn't have the suppressor on hand, he may be waiting on the form 3 to clear first, then send in your form 4.
Last edited by mars on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

mars wrote:i only have old form 4s to go by, but it was either check or money order. my last suppressor purchase, i paid with a CC and the dealer wrote out a check to pay for the stamp. may be others can chime in.
New form 4s have Visa or Mastercard options
DOGON
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

edteach wrote: New form 4s have Visa or Mastercard options
News to me. All I can tell you is it probably took about six or eight weeks or so before atf had cashed my check and then about four more months til stamp day. It takes a while and EVERYONE is buying NFA stuff right now. Be patient it sucks but is worth it
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Well its been two months and the CC still has not been charged. The thing I did not like is the seller at the LGS showed me the Suppressor. I wrote down the serial no and called Scilenco and was told this is not a valid Number. I wrote it down twice once from the suppressor and once from the box label. They both matched. I decided to forget dealing with this person and went to the other shop that is more with it. Had to pay about 80 dollars more but they filled out the form right in front of me instead of saying they did it at night and sent it in. He even gave me the choice of posting it, after he put stamps on it. Not sure anything nefarious is going on but it does look very unprofessional. I had called the shop that I first dealt with and he said I could file the form 4 myself. How do I do that when I need his signature on the form? Just made me feel like he did not know much about what he was doing and if he sent in the form it was not done correctly and is being sent denied. But the fact that my CC has never been charged tells me something is wrong. The first shop also said if I wanted to refile the form 4 he would just tear up my first application. What? If he sent it that would just be a copy, why tear it up? Something is wrong. My wife is nervous that there may be someone using my name to get a stamp.
DOGON
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

I don't entirely know on the credit card charge times, my last one was about a week after I sent it in they charged my card. When it was done by checks, it was all over the map. Some guys had Forms back in hand before the check was cashed...

That being said, it's not entirely uncommon the ATF punches in the CC number wrong and they kick it back to the dealer, only to have the dealer send the exact same thing back and it goes through correctly. (Huge annoyance, almost as bad as when the ATF entry people type in two numbers from the serial instead of the entire thing.)

There are a lot of people that do such small volume, or just flat out they don't know what they are doing, and are very inefficient with it. Also, the ATF and postal service make mistakes. It seems really bizarre, but I don't see how someone would be using your name to get a stamp. They would have to have your license and look a whole lot like you to pick it up and do the 4473. The stamp is meaningless if they can't actually take possession.

I would be a bit nervous about something going on... but it my guess would be incompetence somewhere along the way (and again, not necessarily at your dealer, could be the ATF, or post office) or they could just be slow at charging the CC. I wouldn't be concerned about some nefarious plot just yet.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

A month is way too long. Even during the Bad Times (2013-14) when it took 9 months or more for them to approve, it only took them 3 days to cash my check. I think it literally hit the examiner's desk and they went, "ooh look! Money!" then they put my form on the bottom of a pile somewhere.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

The dealer I was working with, I do not feel like I can work with. Probably some sort of screw up but he did not seem to really want to fix it. I went into the second dealer and he had it sent off that day and within three days the CC was charged. Its worth the extra 50 bucks.
DOGON
db0

Post by db0 »

A few days max. Less than a week for either paper form 1 and form 4s.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

It has been very rare I've had a check take more than about ten days. The one exception was a local shop doing a transfer on a form 4. I paid them for the stamp and they wrote their own check. First delay was post office returned it, then was told these can take months some times, finally was told it was cashed 8 weeks after first attempt. Personaly I think they got a short term intrest free loan from me by holding it for a month or more, but I don't always see the best in people. It's my only bad experience and only one with that place, next time I'll just write my own check and mail myself.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

My cc was charged the same day that my form 4 was received. This was back in January and I still haven't received my suppressor.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

D9M9TR9S wrote:My cc was charged the same day that my form 4 was received. This was back in January and I still haven't received my suppressor.
I had a check cashed on 1/5 and that one came back 5/24, you should be close.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

I used a debit card and it was charged 8 days after I mailed it.
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

I bought end of February through Silencer Shop. Took six weeks for me to get the "check cashed" notification.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:
D9M9TR9S wrote:My cc was charged the same day that my form 4 was received. This was back in January and I still haven't received my suppressor.
I had a check cashed on 1/5 and that one came back 5/24, you should be close.
Sure hope so! Mine was cashed 1/19 and pending ever since. I last called in mid April, normally I don't since they were averaging 3 months door to door, but this is taking longer than my very first form 4.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Finally got it in!