SBR a 80% receiver or a commercial receiver?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

SBR a 80% receiver or a commercial receiver?

Post by cdhknives »

Did some searching and didn't find this addressed here...

I own two commercial (Stag) ar receivers and 2 80% home built receivers (one almost complete, one still at 80%). I want to get a form 1 going for a 300BO SBR. I do not own any of the upper parts yet.

I would prefer to SBR stamp one of the 80% receivers since I already have to engrave a S/N on them, it would be easy to add the SBR data to the engraving. Doing that to a complete commercial receiver just bothers me a bit. BUT, are there any headaches to submitting a form 1 on a 80% receiver I have not yet completed? I already know basically the specs for the upper I plan to build, but the only 'manufacturer' would be me. Is that going to screw up the paperwork?
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR a 80% receiver or a commercial receiver?

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Include a note explaining what you're doing, and in box 4a put FORM 1 REGISTRATION, USA.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Considering that a form 1 is an application to make a firearm, I don't think you need to have a 100% lower to apply. You should be able to apply before owning any parts and just mill the receiver out of a block of aluminum after approval. When people apply for silencer form 1s they usually don't have any silencer parts or even raw materials sometimes. They just create a new "firearm" from raw materials. I see no reason an SBR should be different.

Like started above, just put "Form 1" as the manufacturer
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

If you are building the SBR from an 80%, just fill out the form1 the same as you would a scratch built silencer.

Don't get fancy, just enter the info just like it asks.

There are some special instructions for efile if you are submitting with a trust or corp if I remember right.

Are you filing as an entity or as individual?

Also your OP was a little unclear or I may be reading into it a bit, but if you aren't building as NFA items, finished 80% lowers don't need any engraving (unless you have some other local law that makes it so). Federally speaking you don't have to mark them.
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

Thanks!

Yes, I understand that I am not required to mark my 80% lower, but I choose to do so to avoid the "Is that a gun with no serial number!?!?" conversation at the range. The S/N means nothing to anyone but me...but it's a number/letter combo and will satisfy the curious.
Atlas 10x36
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

:roll: Unbelievable...
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

If you are e-filing put/enter "FMI" not form1 in manufacturer.

That's - "Foxtrot, Mike, India" NOT "Foxtrot, Mike, One"
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

cdrissel wrote:If you are e-filing put/enter "FMI" not form1 in manufacturer.

That's - "Foxtrot, Mike, India" NOT "Foxtrot, Mike, One"
+1 - That's the efile difference I noted (couldn't remember off the top of my head the specifics)
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

OK...submitted it today. The no S/N (haven't even milled the 80% receiver yet, still sitting on the bench waiting for its turn) still makes me wonder if it'll go through but we'll see!
Atlas 10x36
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

cdhknives wrote:OK...submitted it today. The no S/N (haven't even milled the 80% receiver yet, still sitting on the bench waiting for its turn) still makes me wonder if it'll go through but we'll see!
It should if you filled in all the blanks with the correct formation. I'm waiting on a 80% 9mm AR form1.