Where to engrave 10/22 ZK-22 SBR?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Where to engrave 10/22 ZK-22 SBR?

Post by dan9591 »

My kids fell in love with the ZK-22 stock: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1770074

After getting frustrated at not being able to find a threaded 18.5” barrel without a ridiculous price tag, I decided to just bite the bullet and submit a form 1 for a 10/22 receiver. The plan is to use a 10” barrel with a 5” SilencerCo Sparrow suppressor. This will be just long enough to have about an inch sticking out of the front of the stock.

Now the issue is where to engrave it. The stock covers the entire receiver with just a slot to read the serial number. I really don’t want to start cutting the stock.

The barrel will stick out a little through the top slot in front of the charging handle, but not enough to fit ATF requirements.

Has anyone done one of these before? Where did you engrave the receiver to make it visible without disassembling the stock?

PS – yes, I know the history of this brand and I acknowledge that I would rather not own anything from them. That all being said, this really is a pretty cool stock…
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Where to engrave 10/22 ZK-22 SBR?

Post by crazyelece »

Don't worry about the stock covering the engraving, it covers Ruger's markings as well.

If it really bothers you submit the F1 with specs for the original stock, engrave the reciever or the barrel, cut it, mount it in the original stock - congratulations you built your F1 gun now put it in the bullpup configuration.

Look at all the aftermarket goodies that cover markings, even title 2 stuff like silencer sleeves. Weapons lights and lasers even cover SNs on many handguns.
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

Per ATF rules you may engrave anywhere on the receiver even underneath where it's not showing as long as you can get to it without using tools. So if you can unscrew a cap with your fingers and it's permanently on a place on the receiver you may engrave there, so it doesn't show or make more writing if that bothers you. It just MUST be accessible without the use of tools.
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9
squirrel502

Post by squirrel502 »

It was my understanding, having spoken with a lawyer and reviewing the ATF website, that the engraving of a weapon is not required unless you are either the manufacturer (think 80% lower) or transferring the item (selling). If you are simply modifying something that you already own, than it is not necessary to engrave the receiver.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

To my knowledge, hbk80rice has given the correct answer.

You can also engrave the barrel where it's visible as far as I know.
I don't care what your chart says
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

squirrel502 wrote:It was my understanding, having spoken with a lawyer and reviewing the ATF website, that the engraving of a weapon is not required unless you are either the manufacturer (think 80% lower) or transferring the item (selling). If you are simply modifying something that you already own, than it is not necessary to engrave the receiver.
I think you spoke to the wrong lawyer. The requirement to engrave the maker's information on an NFA item is well-established.

I engraved the barrel of my 10/22 SBR. That way the receiver isn't permanently disfigured should I decide to install a 16"+ barrel again. I did my AR barrels the same way. My first AR SBR is an older Colt and I didn’t want to mark it up.
Last edited by Elkins45 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

Double tap