MP5SD build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Phoenixmsb

MP5SD build

Post by Phoenixmsb »

Hello all!

Sorry if this has been asked before (or several times) - I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to do a Form 1 suppressor for my home built MP5SD gun. I've rolled the flat, welded it, barrel pressed, etc. My other home build MP5's run great so this one should also.

My questions? What would some specs be for a SD suppressor build? I'm planning on 12" length but what would be the best aluminum tube diameter? Best tube thickness?

I'm planning on aluminum 6061T6 as I've build several suppressor with this material. I'm using a factory HK ported barrel.

Thanks for any help you can offer with this!
8)
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Re: MP5SD build

Post by vaeevictiss »

12" is probably way longer than it needs to be. Especially if you go with the 1.5 od that most people do. Even a 1.375 od would be long at 12"

What type of baffles are you going to use.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Tons of pictures here http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=c ... &id=89:mp5.. that you can use to determine
dimensions and build of original MP5SD's.

Some of the original baffles were really primitive (but effective), so if you were to use modern baffle designs
you will more than likely get much better performance.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Phoenixmsb

Post by Phoenixmsb »

Thank you for the response. I'm going to do K baffles with a large lined expansion chamber at the rear. I was just going by the KAC length but you're right - if I go to 1.5" I can shorten to 10".

.060 thickness on a 6061T6 can acceptable?

Thank you all for your help!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Sorry to add this to a Smithing Thread, but this just boiled my blood.
http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89:mp5 wrote:The MP5SD is a sought after piece among American Class III firearms collectors. The gun is currently in the $12000-14000 range, with two $200 tax stamps being necessary for the gun and removable suppressor. This of course refers to transferable conversions, just like non- suppressed conversions of the HK94. American law enforcement agencies will pay in the area of $1900 for an SD.
Another case of anti-Constitutional Regulations.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Please excuse the slightly off topic question, but about how much can you build an MP5 for these days?....ball park....been growing more interested in a project like this someday.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.