lathe questions, 16" Southbend

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

lathe questions, 16" Southbend

Post by mr fixit »

I need some information on this lathe I have been offered for sale.

Tag says swing is 16, bed is 6, catalog number is 117 C

Is this a taper attachment?

Gear box

rear view

Three belt drive on motor in under cabinet, flat belt drive on spindle. Motor is 2hp 3 phase.

Any information would be helpful. I know the people this belong to. The husband passed away in 2009, this is still in his shop garage where it was in use. It is covered in thick oil/dust that makes movement slow and stiff. The phase converter is gone so I can't run it to check it out. Paint looks very rough with chipping and peeling, but I saw very little if any rust, What looks like rust in the photos is the oil/dust sludge.

any info would be great, and any idea of value as well. It has a 3 jaw, drill chuck and live center for tail stock, various cutting bits, knurling tool.

It also comes with another lathe. If i take one I have to take both this and the 12" Logan turret lathe behind it.

Comments certainly welcome.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: lathe questions, 16" Southbend

Post by RPM509 »

http://vintagemachinery.org/

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... 1617&tab=3

Here is a wealth of information, may find this exact model, or a companion lathe.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Both machines are what dreams are built from.The Southbend is a older model.The split nut leaver gives away its age.Its a project machine but possibly a worthy one depending on condition.I would love the Logan and could put it to work tomorrow.You would need to take a machinist with you to look through the shop to be sure all the tooling is recovered for both machines.I did not read the add only looked at the pictures but you could not find better examples of old American iron.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Capt. Link. wrote:Both machines are what dreams are built from.The Southbend is a older model.The split nut leaver gives away its age.Its a project machine but possibly a worthy one depending on condition.I would love the Logan and could put it to work tomorrow.You would need to take a machinist with you to look through the shop to be sure all the tooling is recovered for both machines.I did not read the add only looked at the pictures but you could not find better examples of old American iron.
-CL

Is it worth $1000 ? That is what they are asking.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:Both machines are what dreams are built from.The Southbend is a older model.The split nut leaver gives away its age.Its a project machine but possibly a worthy one depending on condition.I would love the Logan and could put it to work tomorrow.You would need to take a machinist with you to look through the shop to be sure all the tooling is recovered for both machines.I did not read the add only looked at the pictures but you could not find better examples of old American iron.
-CL

Is it worth $1000 ? That is what they are asking.
If the ways aren't shot and you get the tooling I'd bite.Parts are out there and ways can be reground it it was necessary.Go look for damage and see what works.That machine is stout and will require all of your attention for being moved.So I'm getting the Logan for what cost eh.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Here's a good video with some info about inspecting an old lathe, especially the ways. Keith Rucker is a machinist who does a lot of restoration work on antique machinery at the Museum of Agriculture in Ga. He has many many videos about how to repair things and even makes new castings etc. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-94Oh2VgQo
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Capt. Link. wrote:I would love the Logan and could put it to work tomorrow.You would need to take a machinist with you to look through the shop to be sure all the tooling is recovered for both machines.I did not read the add only looked at the pictures but you could not find better examples of old American iron.
-CL
I think I may like the Logan more than the South Bend.
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

For $1000 they would have to be totally shot to lose money. Lube them up, feel for grinding and play in the spindle bearings, etc. Stiff from dried grease and oil is expected. Sitting for that long without being turned occasionally can destroy precision bearings.

This assumes you are capable and willing to put in many hours of TLC to clean them up. If you have to pay for all the repairs they may need, that could be expensive. If you can (and are willing to) set them up, replace motors, bearings, clean caked on gunk and grease, etc. you are getting a heck of a deal.

If they have a lot of tooling included and the major parts (all major castings, bed, spindle, saddle) are in good condition, it looks like a steal...a project, but a steal.

My opinion only. In running condition those 2 would go for $10k or more down here.
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:I would love the Logan and could put it to work tomorrow.You would need to take a machinist with you to look through the shop to be sure all the tooling is recovered for both machines.I did not read the add only looked at the pictures but you could not find better examples of old American iron.
-CL
I think I may like the Logan more than the South Bend.
You can get them both for the same money.
That SB lathe would be a nice machine once you cleaned and repaired it.A turret lathe is somewhat specialized machinery but very useful.I would give the deal a serious look
-CL

PS:Learn how to move these it can be hazardous to the machine and you.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

Try the "machining youtube" Facebook page. It's a Facebook page that was created as a place for all the YouTube machining channels and thier fans to get together and share. The wealth of knowledge in that group is endless! There are tons of guys on the page that can answer questions about Southbend lathes. Alot of guys have them, myself included tho I don't know anything about the one you have there
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

They're worth 1k as scrap metal alone, I'd go for it!