10/22 Factory Threading

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

3154tm
Silent Operator

10/22 Factory Threading

Post by 3154tm »

hi all, thinking about buying my first 10/22. maybe a takedown. of course i'd like to be able to mount a suppressor. they're available with threaded barrels and/or flash hiders. while trying to research this i've read that the threading may not be concentric enough and that the flash hiders may or may not be removable. i'm hoping someone here has first hand experience with this and can advise.
thanks
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10/22 Factory Threading

Post by doubloon »

I've never had a problem with factory threading but I will say there is the potential to have an issue even with custom threading no matter where you get the work done unless it's by one of the machinists that frequents this forum.

I believe the reason we hear so many stories about bad factory threading is because they thread so many barrels statistically there are more bad ones. It doesn't mean a higher percentage of them are bad, just that there's more opportunity to produce a bad one and less individual scrutiny to weed the bad ones out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

3154tm wrote:hi all, thinking about buying my first 10/22.

i'm hoping someone here has first hand experience with this and can advise.
thanks
Have you thought of emailing Customer Service with a Specific ? about the Guaranty regarding their Threading?

The Receiver is the Serialized Part. So they "could" swap the barrel if your needs via tolerance are greater than the Standard User. IE: suppressor vs. flash hider.

But they also might just tell you to purchase a custom aftermarket barrel designed and machined for suppressor use. :(
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The flash hiders can definitely be removed. The threaded length for rifles is longer (0.600") than typical pistol barrels (0.400").
Most dedicated 22 cans are designed around the shorter threads, so you will need a spacer. Preferable a high quality threaded one, not just a slip-on.

I wouldn't worry too much about factory threadings from Ruger.
They offer lots of threaded barrels in all calibers. My suppressed 300 BLK Ranch runs great. They even make their own 22 can now.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whiterussian1974 wrote: But they also might just tell you to purchase a custom aftermarket barrel designed and machined for suppressor use. :(
Sadly this is most often the case. Unless the barrel is marketed FOR suppressor use or "Silencer Ready" they guarantee it for muzzle brake or flash hider use and won't guaratee it for silencer issues.

I have experienced this with both Ruger and S&W.

YMMV
3154tm
Silent Operator

Post by 3154tm »

well, that sucks. ruger is shut down until after the 11th, i'll give them a call then and see what they have to say.
thanks for the info.
3154tm
Silent Operator

Post by 3154tm »

this is interesting, i just ran across a ruger promotion for their suppressors and it mentions that they're compatible with all threaded takedown 10/22's. i wonder if this means they'd have to stand behind any problems with concentricity.
'10/22 Takedown® Threaded Barrel Models'
http://ruger.com/micros/silent-sr/index.html
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Bendersquint wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote: But they also might just tell you to purchase a custom aftermarket barrel designed and machined for suppressor use. :(
Sadly this is most often the case. Unless the barrel is marketed FOR suppressor use or "Silencer Ready" they guarantee it for muzzle brake or flash hider use and won't guaratee it for silencer issues.

I have experienced this with both Ruger and S&W.

YMMV
May be different now Ruger is marketing cans. Call them and tell them you want to put their can on their 10/22 and see how that goes
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

I have a threaded 10/22 takedown and two threaded Mk III 22/45 pistols that I shoot suppressed all the time. No problems. The 10/22 flash suppressor came off easily.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Other than a run of 10/22s years ago that had 1/2-20 threads all the current production is 1/2-28. I haven't had any issues with my factory threaded Rugers.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K