A Wet K.I.S.S.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

A Wet K.I.S.S.

Post by Capt. Link. »

A number of years ago I made this.An effective design that can be built on smaller equipment.The design is very simple and easy to keep clean.
The can is 316 SS the end caps and baffles are 416 SS the spacers are 304 SS - 7" X 1.5" X 1.7lbs
The caliber is .556 and is used for .22s and .22mags as well.It can be shot wet or dry, when wet the mixing module holds enough grease for at least a 20 round mag and the sound is most pleasing.
The host weapon is a AR-15 and exhibits low blow back and no pop even dry.It is very quite with military ball as it was designed for the high velocity gases of that round.While it is quite with rim-fire's the maximum reduction is had with full power rounds.
All NFA rules were applied.
Last edited by Capt. Link. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: A Wet K.I.S.S.

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:A number of years ago I made this.An effective design that can be built on smaller equipment.The design is very simple and easy to keep clean.
The can is 316 SS the end caps and baffles are 416 SS the spacers are 304 SS - 7" X 1.5" X 1.7lbs
The caliber is .556 and is used for .22s and .22mags as well.It can be shot wet or dry, when wet the mixing module holds enough grease for at least a 20 round mag and the sound is most pleasing.
The host weapon is a AR-15 and exhibits low blow back and no pop even dry.It is very quite with military ball as it was designed for the high velocity gases of that round.While it is quite with rim-fire's the maximum reduction is had with full power rounds.
All NFA rules were applied.
She will give you a wet kiss also.
Is that a cleaning rod handle in the second picture?

-B
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

No sir it a assembly tool I copied from H Maxim
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:No sir it a assembly tool I copied from H Maxim
Cool!

-B
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Captain Link, your workmanship and results are
a joy to see.

The content look of happiness on your puppy tells me all I need to know
about you.

Best.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

You have too many S's, I see nothing simple or stupid. Looks really good, congrats.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Thank you for your comments,the rod makes assembly a snap.The simplicity is no welding no timing of internal parts no complex angles and ease of cleaning.It was made using a small lathe a mill drill and a small index table.I thought I might post it to show what can be done with table top equipment.Wet cans can be very effective and are rarely talked about here they may not be used by the military much but we don't have people shooting back at us.
The puppy now a dog is the gunsmiths companion and doing well.
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

Beautiful work....
vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

Could you do some pics of the.baffles lined up like they will be when installed?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I can't send you a picture but I can help you visualize it.Back left mixing module ,next the blast baffle notice the notch at six o'clock a early Dater Hole! not invented by Dater.The next four baffles are the same.All baffles have a step that faces the muzzle of the host weapon.The spacers are unequal in length.First is longest next a little shorter the next three the same length.I line up the ports 180 out from each other.Alas as a craftsmen my work is for sale and though my children live they never call home.
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Brittany Spaniel pup eh? They're fun! My parents have two now, one just hit a year old I think.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Ctaylor wrote:Brittany Spaniel pup eh? They're fun! My parents have two now, one just hit a year old I think.
Do you get the feeling your raising a speed addict that drinks to much coffee.They do calm down in two to three years.
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

Impressive work there sir. Would you be willing to share some drawings or dimensions for someone interested in building a form1 duplicate?

Thanks...
Last edited by Bugzy on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Bugzy wrote:Impressive work there sir. Would you be interested in sharing some drawings or dimensions for someone interested in building a form1 duplicate?
I'll post it w/ changes I would make.
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

Capt. Link. wrote:
Bugzy wrote:Impressive work there sir. Would you be interested in sharing some drawings or dimensions for someone interested in building a form1 duplicate?
I'll post it w/ changes I would make.
Boy...that was a quick reply.

I edited my post while you where typing.....

Thank you!
Surculus

Post by Surculus »

Capt. Link. wrote:A number of years ago I made this.An effective design that can be built on smaller equipment.The design is very simple and easy to keep clean.
SNIP-OLA!
[dead links can't be quoted. Who knew?]
As might well be expected after 5 years, the link is dead. Anyone save the image on their own drive who'd care to repost? [He said despairingly...]
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Surculus wrote:
SNIP-OLA!
[dead links can't be quoted. Who knew?]
As might well be expected after 5 years, the link is dead. Anyone save the image on their own drive who'd care to repost? [He said despairingly...]
I'll look around for some pictures.The design is dated and would recommend something different.I can say that the owner will not let me update the design though I offered to before I retired.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

This is the internals to this wet suppressor:

This is a evolution to the Wet Kiss baffle.Just amazing with subsonics.
OrygunKEO

Post by OrygunKEO »

Thanks for posting the pictures again. I'd love to see the side view details of the single baffle in the last picture.

I'm also curious, where in the baffle stack, when assembled, did the large ID externally grooved ported
baffle sit? At the front or back of the stack?

I also would love to know what coolant was used and where it was placed in the can. When assembled with
coolant, for roughly how many rounds would the 'wet' sound reduction effect last?

Again, thanks for the pictures.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Capt. Link. wrote: the mixing module holds enough grease for at least a 20 round mag and the sound is most pleasing.
White lithium grease applied with a chopstick works well.A good shot of CLP cleaner is even more quiet but only lasts a few rounds.
This can was designed as a wet suppressor from the ground up.I would not run most suppressors wet w/ centerfire full auto hosts because of higher pressures.
The screw cut baffle edge is designed to scrape carbon.The lower left is the last baffle in the stack just before the end cap.

-CL
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Looks like someone put a ton of work into that endcap
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647