Rocket scientist help wanted

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bottomdweller

Rocket scientist help wanted

Post by bottomdweller »

So I want to apologize to some of the members here. I realize now after reading some prior posts that there probably are real rocket scientists on this forum. When I posted my first topic I didn't know how in depth this can get. I use to build farm equipment for an onion farmer in Idaho. Raw steel in, finished machinery out. Farm eq. and rockets......not the same. So I hope all of you will except me as I am. That in mind, in building this 50ak can, how would the "best" design be built? I am pretty locked into using the beowulf pepper pot as the basis for the attachment. I can't do threads or machine. I live on a remote island. The tube will be stainless as will be the end caps. Guts? You tell me. I've got some ideas, love to hear yours.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rocket scientist help wanted

Post by fishman »

What are your goals and priorities?
Weight, length, cost, performance, ease of building. What tools and machines do you have at your disposal. There's 1000 ways you could build one depending on what you want
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
bottomdweller

Post by bottomdweller »

The goal...make it as quiet as I can. Priority, Have had the experience to have successfully built a worthy suppressor with little. I have a drill press, nice stick welder, grinders, dremmels, cuff-off wheels. I have a piece of stainless muffler pipe that I'd like to use for the tube. It's 24inches but i'd like the can to be 12in or less. I wonder about the guts. I really don't want to spend more than 500.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

How do you plan on making endcaps without a lathe? Unless you start with a solvent trap kit a lathe is pretty essential. Using set screws to attach a silencer requires that that the endcap slides over the barrel with a very close tolerance fit. Also assuming you're using set screws to attach the endcap to the tube, the endcap to tube fit must also be very close tolerance. You're either going to need to turn parts on a lathe, or buy parts someone else did.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
bottomdweller

Post by bottomdweller »

I have some washers that fit the brake and the end very snuggly. Im going to weld the ends on as well as the tube to the brake so that it screws on and off like any other can. No set screws. Seems the problem is that the can parts are too big and there aren't any pre made cones or baffles or threaded goodies to be had. I would like to use sdta stuff and still may on a blackout project but d cell seems small for a 50 cal. That suppressor you built for your blackout is sweet by the way! Very curious about the flow diagram.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

not a rocket scientist

picture is from this thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19231&hilit=freeze+plug
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
bottomdweller

Post by bottomdweller »

Sub-sonic, exactly what I'm thinking! I have enjoyed reading your posts. You definitely inspired me to build this project. I read "how to build military grade suppressors .22 thru .50 bmg by Keith Anderson. But other than that and going though endless threads this is All I know. Really liked the ball bearing trick. What do you think the maximum cone degree you could squeeze out of a 1.75 plug?
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

bottomdweller wrote:What do you think the maximum cone degree you could squeeze out of a 1.75 plug?
not sure. time for some experimenting. what have you got to press them with?
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
bottomdweller

Post by bottomdweller »

Yeah, I agree. Thinking about drilling a 1/8 hole in he center of the plug and then using a plumb bob for the press in the vice. The hole should stretch. Gonna play around with it. Both as a cone and m- baffle. I like the two point mount. What do you think about using a JIC fitting. My build is all stainless, or at least as much as possible. Live on the beach. JIC comes in stainless, as you know not npt. Have a commercial fishing vessel....npt and stainless don't seal. Stainless is too hard. It might work well as the rear seal as the can is screwed on.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Unless you're talking about some sort of mega-vise, I doubt a cone as deep as a plumb bob is likely to happen. Plugs are going to resist too hard. Something like a 4 ton arbor press would be more useful. And you'll want to have properly matched male and female forms, allowing for metal thickness. And a bit if oil to let the steel slip and stretch.
bottomdweller

Post by bottomdweller »

Thanks for that a-canadian. I do have access to a press.