How many .22 shots through a .30 suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

blkcloud

How many .22 shots through a .30 suppressor?

Post by blkcloud »

Just wondering how many shots if any can I shoot through my sealed titanium.30 cal suppressor without doing any damage? Every so often I have a random armadillo in my yard that I'd like to shoot with my 22.. not planning on going target shooting with it.. thanks
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: How many .22 shots through a .30 suppressor?

Post by a_canadian »

Well since no one with actual experience is speaking up I'll hazard a wild guess. If it's just the odd shot, given that rifle cans are reputed to be 'self cleaning' for the most part, I'd guess the nastiness .22lr leaves behind would be swept clean with the bulk of your more common use for this can. But given the potential for corrosive residue and/or lead build-up you'd be best off keeping to just the odd shot.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

Based on everything I've read firing rifle rounds after should clean it out. No firsthand experience though and my recommendation would be to buy a 22lr can they're great.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

It's lead that's an issue, rifle calibers won't blow that out.

It adds a little, then a little more, then more, until you end up with a can full of lead that is not only heavier, but performance is ruined.

How fast is going to probably be ammo dependent, but it will ruin it eventually. Probably at such a slow pace you won't ever realize what's happening until it's too late.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Non issue, I have done that for years and my cyclone still looks great inside. A few 22lr's worth of residue will be gone in a flash.
Toetagger
Silent Operator

Post by Toetagger »

I'm interested as well in this thread. Just want to introduce my daughter to suppressed shooting on something she is familiar with. An AR upper with a 22lr conversion bolt.