hearing protection act

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

crashman541

hearing protection act

Post by crashman541 »

Does anyone know if the hearing protection act is passed will it be legal to build a suppressor without a form 1?
My understanding is they will be treated as any firearm not subject to NFA laws. Being that I am legally allowed to build a firearm it has me wondering if i could build a suppressor as well. Thank you for any information you can give me.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: hearing protection act

Post by fishman »

crashman541 wrote:Does anyone know if the hearing protection act is passed will it be legal to build a suppressor without a form 1?
My understanding is they will be treated as any firearm not subject to NFA laws. Being that I am legally allowed to build a firearm it has me wondering if i could build a suppressor as well. Thank you for any information you can give me.
Yes, you will be able to build a silencer without a form 1. That's kinda the whole essence of the bill.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

All your dreams will come true...

The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Time is proper to implore one's representatives to
include the HPA in the next major bill to be passed.
We now have a majority of Constitution loving
Americans in power to finally do right things.

In Hoc Signo Vinces. :)
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

If it passes and silencers are "deregulated" at the Federal level, then they will be "regulated" on the State and local level. For better or worse. For those of us who live in a "Blue" State, county or city we may have to deal with more restrict laws and out right bans.
1rflman

Post by 1rflman »

If HPA passes, suppressors would continue to be "regulated" in the
same manner as the Federal government regulates long guns. There
are currently 42 states where suppressors may be lawfully possessed
by non-prohibited persons. Why do you think that after passage of
the HPA, the politicians would suddenly want to ban them or create
other restrictions to prevent legal ownership?
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

1rflman wrote:If HPA passes, suppressors would continue to be "regulated" in the
same manner as the Federal government regulates long guns. There
are currently 42 states where suppressors may be lawfully possessed
by non-prohibited persons. Why do you think that after passage of
the HPA, the politicians would suddenly want to ban them or create
other restrictions to prevent legal ownership?
I did not say "suddenly".

Because the latest articles in the media are reporting that this bill will deregulate silencers, making it easier and faster to buy one. The majority of the public don't have any knowledge or basic understanding of or about suppressors. All they know and will ever know is what the media and Hollywood tell them.

If it passes, there will be a significantly larger number of silencers sold and possessed. With this increase in numbers they will be reported to be used more often in criminal activities. They will use the same or similar arguments they use against "assault" rifles and high capacity magazines. All it will take is one mass shooting with a suppressed firearm and they will begin the process.

I live in Colorado and after the Aurora Theater shooting our State lawmakers pass a hi-cap magazine ban. Why would they not do the same to silencers ?
Chorizo

Post by Chorizo »

cdrissel wrote:I did not say "suddenly".

Because the latest articles in the media are reporting that this bill will deregulate silencers, making it easier and faster to buy one. The majority of the public don't have any knowledge or basic understanding of or about suppressors. All they know and will ever know is what the media and Hollywood tell them.

If it passes, there will be a significantly larger number of silencers sold and possessed. With this increase in numbers they will be reported to be used more often in criminal activities. They will use the same or similar arguments they use against "assault" rifles and high capacity magazines. All it will take is one mass shooting with a suppressed firearm and they will begin the process.

I live in Colorado and after the Aurora Theater shooting our State lawmakers pass a hi-cap magazine ban. Why would they not do the same to silencers ?
No different than now....the States have the ability to ban silencers right now....Look at California.
Lonewolf7,62

Post by Lonewolf7,62 »

Will the implementation of this bill also mean that the export of US made suppressors will be possible?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Lonewolf7,62 wrote:Will the implementation of this bill also mean that the export of US made suppressors will be possible?
The proposal is to literally redefine the federal definition of "firearm" not to include silencers. I don't immediately see where that will have any impact on foreign import/export but I'd have to read the related documents again.

Other than redefining firearm not to include silencers the bill further proposes that State laws with regard to taxing, marking, record keeping or registration will have no force or effect on making, transferring, using, possessing or transporting a firearm silencer in interstate or foreign commerce.

That's not the same as the preventing the FED from imposing any restrictions and it's not the same as declaring firearm silencers legal in all 51 states.

States will continue to have laws against things that are not firearms like high capacity magazines and the thing that goes up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Todd Is

Post by Todd Is »

Some more news you can't use :shock: .............................................................................

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... ll-dnt.cnn
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

If the HPA passes I'm buying stock in Titanium Joe's
EastCoastPoly

Post by EastCoastPoly »

Prices will rise, suppressors will become out of stock rapidly, essentially all subsonic ammo will disappear from the shelves, and the media scare will be in full effect. While the HPA will make it more enjoyable for the avid shooter it will become a living hell for avid shooters. The fact that the U.S. have not made suppressors available for purchase like buying a handgun shows that it was all for a profits and control.

Lets pretend the HPA passes, my question is if the rumor mill will be true and reimburse tax stamp fees to those who have purchased a suppressor post fall 2015. Will this cause the NFA registry on current suppressors to be deleted, or simply force current suppressor owners to re-register their cans on a state level? Also, as soon as it passes I should be able to hope into my car and go pick up my two suppressors waiting for me at the dealer. Right?

All wishful thinking of course.
“The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Todd Is

Post by Todd Is »

If it passes and if it is beneficial to the end customer, then, prices will plummet. Form 1's kept a lot of innovative artisans out of the game. This is not a high tech tool. There is just about as much tech and manufacturing know how that goes into making a simple ball bearing as that goes into a pre hpa 1200$ suppressor.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

EastCoastPoly wrote:Prices will rise, suppressors will become out of stock rapidly, essentially all subsonic ammo will disappear from the shelves
I have a lathe and two reloading presses, bring it on.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

fishman wrote:
EastCoastPoly wrote:Prices will rise, suppressors will become out of stock rapidly, essentially all subsonic ammo will disappear from the shelves

+2!

As a great orator in the 1960's said "Free at last. Free at last".

It is delicious watching the anti-2nd Amendment loons interviewed
on FOX go apoplectic with inane anti-suppressor arguments
such as "use ear plugs, they are available; it is bad for hunters
because other hunters would not be alerted; etc"

A special shout out to the brave LEO's such as the superlative
Secret Service, D.C. Street Blues, Feebies, Military Heros, and other services
protecting the righteous Americans attending the inauguration of our magnificent
President Donald J. Trump!

And we also love those Bikers For Trump - "Hear us roar!"

America has already started to be great again.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

fishman wrote:
I've got a washer and a couple flashlights, although I'm betting it will not be as good as I hope
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

With that washer your can might be a little bit front heavy.....happy shooting though! haha
I've gotta stop this habit.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I'm not really understanding how this bill makes silencers like long guns as opposed to handguns. What am I missing? Thanks.
(a) In General.--Section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of
1986 is amended by striking ``(7) any silencer'' and all that follows
through ``; and (8)'' and inserting ``; and (7)''.
This part removes silencers from the paragraph that defines what a firearm is. Does not appear to delete the definition of a silencer from Title 18 Chapter 44 though.
(2) Transfers.--In the case of the tax imposed by section
5811 of such Code, the amendment made by this section shall
apply with respect to transfers after October 22, 2015.
I suppose this means refunds for recent transfers? Not sure if it applies to the making tax. All of my applications are older than 2015 though.
SEC. 3. TREATMENT OF CERTAIN SILENCERS.

Section 5841 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by
adding at the end the following:
``(f) Firearm Silencers.--A person acquiring or possessing a
firearm silencer in accordance with Chapter 44 of title 18, United
States Code, shall be treated as meeting any registration and licensing
requirements of the National Firearms Act (as in effect on the day
before the date of the enactment of this subsection) with respect to
such silencer.''.
Section 5841 is general registration requirements for NFA firearms. Aren't there other sections of the code that would need to be amended?
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ranb wrote:I'm not really understanding how this bill makes silencers like long guns as opposed to handguns. What am I missing? Thanks.
Agreed.

It removes them from the definition of firearms.

It puts in place verbiage that appears to be intended to prevent the State from imposing interstate taxes or fees on transfers, no laws that restrict interstate transport.

It does not prevent the State from declaring silencers to be prohibited devices.

I also don't see where it prevents the Fed from regulating, taxing or restricting international export/import of said devices as they are defined.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Probably be a few lay-offs at ATF as well since they won't have as much paper to shuffle.
Trev

Post by Trev »

What kind of time frame do you think we're looking at for the HPA to pass? Within the year?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

The stated timeframe was the first hundred days.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

doubloon wrote:Agreed.

It removes them from the definition of firearms.
But how does it control them like long guns instead of something like handguns or any other non-nfa firearm?
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273