Lightweight BCG/buffer combo for running suppressed?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Lightweight BCG/buffer combo for running suppressed?

Post by BlakeJ »

I'm building an ultralight AR that I'll use my AAC Mini4 on.

It's a faxon 14.5" mid length barrel with an adjustable gas block. This won't be a competition, defensive, or plinking rifle. It won't have a ton of rounds go through it.

What is the lightest BCG/buffer combo that I can get while still being reliable?
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lightweight BCG/buffer combo for running suppressed?

Post by Sigproshooter »

Usually heavier is the key to keep dwell ,lock , ejection and the rest timed properly. With your adjustable block it should mitigate the added back pressure issues with a suppressed ar. Most folks find a standard fa carrier works best but moderate with a heavier buffer or a slightly stiffer spring. Surely cheaper for sure. Hope this helps.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I would look at the bootleg adjustable BCG. It has settings for suppressed to unsuppressed with two settings between.
I'm using one on a build I have that has a Syrac adjustable gas block on a 10.3" barrel. Nice setup, I adjust the gas at the block to work unsuppressed with BCG set to unsuppressed and adjust at BCG when I add a suppressor.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Another thing to consider is spec parts were chosen as a spec for a reason. You can get wrapped around an axle trying to get these things to run reliably if you start swapping parts around without understanding the exact problem you have. Once you realize the issue you address it specifically. Basically keep your upper factory, maybe swap a buffer or buffer spring. I use a Noveske Switchblock on my weapons. No tools and precise positions every time. Works like a dream.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
PBinWA

Post by PBinWA »

You may also wan to look at the JP silent captured springs with the spring packs - that will also allow you to tune things. https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php