Mauser ==> .45 Conversion with Can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Mauser ==> .45 Conversion with Can

Post by Historian »

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mauser ==> .45 Conversion with Can

Post by doubloon »

Like a Marlin with a bolt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jnjproto
Silent Operator

Post by jnjproto »

One day I want to explore a 98 Mauser chambered in .45 Win Mag shooting 300 to 350 grain bullets at around 950. Kind of like a DeLisle on steroids. Has anyone done this?
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

jnjproto wrote:One day I want to explore a 98 Mauser chambered in .45 Win Mag shooting 300 to 350 grain bullets at around 950. Kind of like a DeLisle on steroids. Has anyone done this?
I converted one to 458 Win Mag about 15 years ago, but didn't own any suppressors at the time. Wish I still had it; I often used 300-400gr cast bullets at pistol velocity for plinking loads.

The conversion wasn't that hard, but did require some mag box and feed ramp alterations, as well as opening up the bolt face. Compared to making the much shorter .45 Win Mag feed though, it may be easier to just go full .458, and you get more capacity for really heavy bullets anyway.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Maj. Dick Culver, USMC, founder of the
Marine Corps Sniper school, long ago, had a bolt action
.45 with an amazing can:
bored from 1.75" Aluminum rod; 8.5" long, simple bronze 'washers'
and spacers. Volume around 19 cubic inches.

It would have been interesting to have had a meter for
at the firing line all you heard was the firing pin hit and then saw
dirt rise up at 150 yards.

"As long as one person remembers you you have not gone".
Guard the gates to Valhalla,my friend.
jnjproto
Silent Operator

Post by jnjproto »

Yondering, you may be right about using the .458 WM. Although case capacity may be too much of a good thing with the small charge weights. I think a rimless .45 S&W or .450 Bushmaster might be ideal capacity for up to 400 grain bullets. More thoughts to ponder.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Hello:
I have always wanted to do a proper 98K/K in .45ACP
The difference is the receiver and bolt are shortened for the cartridge length.By shortening it allows a short stroke and better ejection, feeding plus faster ignition = better accuracy.I know its overkill but I'm a smith and know how!
A better option for 98 actions or 96 Mauser's is the .458socom.The bullet options are huge from 200gr to 700gr.Subsonic projectiles kill by deep penetration and large wound channels not kinetic energy transfer. A through & through at any angle causes quick kills which any responsible shooter wants.A 500gr lead bullet at 900fps is a freight train and a 200gr HP supersonic is a grenade.
I love .45ACP but with the lack of proper length actions the socom is more versatile and economical.

Please do not sacrifice a rare or pristine 98/96 Mauser. Preserve firearms history and conserve a limited resource.
CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Capt. Link. wrote:Hello:
I have always wanted to do a proper 98K/K in .45ACP
The difference is the receiver and bolt are shortened for the cartridge length.By shortening it allows a short stroke and better ejection, feeding plus faster ignition = better accuracy.I know its overkill but I'm a smith and know how!
A better option for 98 actions or 96 Mauser's is the .458socom.The bullet options are huge from 200gr to 700gr.Subsonic projectiles kill by deep penetration and large wound channels not kinetic energy transfer. A through & through at any angle causes quick kills which any responsible shooter wants.A 500gr lead bullet at 900fps is a freight train and a 200gr HP supersonic is a grenade.
I love .45ACP but with the lack of proper length actions the socom is more versatile and economical.

Please do not sacrifice a rare or pristine 98/96 Mauser. Preserve firearms history and conserve a limited resource.
CL
Capt,

Make it 50AE, use dessert Eagle mags.
Use 45 WM and use 30M1 carbine mags. for High cap or 44DE mags

I do have some parts ready, need to get a barrels

Gunny