9mm Pistol Silencer Recommendations

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

kevinvcr12

9mm Pistol Silencer Recommendations

Post by kevinvcr12 »

I have an H&K VP9 tactical and a Glock 17 that need cans. My primary criteria are 1) quiet 2) able to use the stock sights.

I was looking at the SilencerCo Osprey9 or 45 and the AAC Illusion9. Then after reading horror stories on this site about AAC's customer service, I'm having doubts on the Illusion9. What do real world users recommend?
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Re: 9mm Pistol Silencer Recommendations

Post by roodyrocker »

I have an Illusion 9 in NFA jail. Been waiting on it for several months like everybody else so I can't give you first hand experience with it yet. Im sure the Osprey is a fine can as well but the looks of the Osprey have just not grown on me yet. I still prefer the traditional round look for a suppressor. Also, the Illusion 9 comes apart for cleaning while the Osprey does not. I have other Silencerco products and they make good stuff. I hope I never have to experience AAC's customer service if what was recently written in other posts about them is true.
Oh yeah, Im also getting both pistons with my Illusion 9, 1/2" x 28 and 13.5 x 1mm LH so I can use it on my Beretta and Sigs :)

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I have an old gemtech multi mount 9mm that's never needed service but gemtech generally has a good service rep.

Liberty is an awesome company.

The silencerco/swr cans osprey/octane are always a good choice even though silencerco went through a rough patch after acquiring swr and Pappas has since left and started dead air. Before the merger swr was a fantastic company to work with, I don't have any direct experience with dead air but if it's run the way swr was then it's right up there with liberty in my book.

Thompson has been another good company to work with in the past but I haven't heard much about them lately.

AAC was a great company a long time ago, they got big, they got bought ... it changes people. AAC started sliding about the time Rachel quit, it's never been the same since.

In general, the best companies to work with tend to be the ones that produce the best cans anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
kevinvcr12

Post by kevinvcr12 »

Rudy and Dave, Thanks for the helpful input.
wally2000

Post by wally2000 »

I own a SiCo osprey 9 for my G19 and I cant perrrfectly see over the sights but it is very very close. Also have octane 45 and thats worse but I love the osprey. It is quiet, light, adaptable and pretty damn cool looking on most pistols.
Brooks@Thompson Machine
Industry Professional

Post by Brooks@Thompson Machine »

Our Isis-2 9mm will sound GREAT on both of those hosts. It is also affordable, tough, and easy to clean. Email me at [email protected] or call me at 850-408-5161 if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a Liberty Mystic and use the stock sites on my Glock 19. They are now the Mystic X. One thing about Liberty is they are good people to work with. I had a baffle strike with some Hornady pulls and had jacket separation. Trying to save money :cry: I got my butt chewed a bit but they did fix it for free. The next baffle strike I have will for sure be on my dime. I will at that point do their upgrade to the Mystic X. As a result of this experience, I bought one of their .45 cans, Cosmic. I haven't measured it but I think it is the same tube as the Mystic series. It lives on my 9 mm SBR and the Mystic on my 300 BLK SBR.

All are thread on mounts. A little off topic but if you get an aftermarket threaded barrel make sure it has RH threads. I bought an HK .45 and wasn't thinking to check. The LH threads are kind of a pain to deal with. I have to use blue Loctite. Tightening the adapter to barrel loosens the can to adapter.

Edited to correct a mistake.
crockettdefense

Post by crockettdefense »

I have an Octane 9 on my G19 and love it. Super quiet and SiCo customer service has been great (although I've never needed it for my Octane). I originally put some Trijicon suppressor sights on the G19 but have since taken them off- seemed unnecessary as I could get good hits at around 30-40 yards just lining things up with the suppressor.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go for the Osprey 45 just to have something different and since I'll soon have another 9mm suppressor for my PCC.
kevinvcr12

Post by kevinvcr12 »

hardcase wrote:I have a Liberty Mystic and use the stock sites on my Glock 19. They are now the Mystic X. One thing about Liberty is they are good people to work with. I had a baffle strike with some Hornady pulls and had jacket separation. Trying to save money :cry: I got my butt chewed a bit but they did fix it for free. The next baffle strike I have will for sure be on my dime. I will at that point do their upgrade to the Mystic X. As a result of this experience, I bought one of their .45 cans, Cosmic. I haven't measured it but I think it is the same tube as the Mystic series. It lives on my 9 mm SBR and the Mystic on my 300 BLK SBR.

All are thread on mounts. A little off topic but if you get an aftermarket threaded barrel make sure it has RH threads. I bought an HK .45 and wasn't thinking to check. The LH threads are kind of a pain to deal with. I have to use blue Loctite. Tightening the adapter to barrel loosens the can to adapter.

Edited to correct a mistake.
Good advice on the LH threaded barrel. I wish I would have realized how much I hate the left hand thread before I bought my HK VP9. It came with a LH threaded barrel. If I had it to do over, I would buy the standard VP9 and add an aftermarket RH threaded barrel.