Anyone suppress an M60?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Anyone suppress an M60?

Post by eastern_hunter »

Anyone suppress an M60?

What has to be done with the gas system to avoid the can providing too much back pressure?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone suppress an M60?

Post by poikilotrm »

I have fired an M249 suppressed. Nothing had been done to it. It ran fine. I figure an M240 would just require adjusting the plug as desired. They have three cyclic rates to choose from.

With an M60, I would wing it and see how it ran for a belt or two. The gas system is extremely robust on them. I would probably adhere to the six round burst rule pretty tightly at first, just in case.

Adjusting an M60E2's gas would be difficult. I have never fired an E3, but I believe some variants had adjustable gas tubes.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Will have to look at the E3 bbl to see if it is adjustable. Brake on that bbl would make it easiest to mount an adapter for the can.

Did send a note to M60joe to see if he has any comments.

I wouldn't expect greatly effective suppression from an open bolt auto. Must admit am curious.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

eastern_hunter wrote:
I wouldn't expect greatly effective suppression from an open bolt auto. Must admit am curious.
I shot Rugged Suppressors' M240 with their Razor on it st the NFA Review shoot. Surprisingly pleasant to shoot. We were shooting at a junk car and I could hear my rounds impacting the wheels of the car.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

seen it done in Afghanistan, it didnt seem that quiet, I didnt have the mount for our MK48 or I would have tried it. The 60 always seemed like a Cement Vibrator that shot bullets also to me. It was so damn abusive to the operator to fire compared to most of the newer stuff. The MK48 was very nice for our needs and the 249 was like shooting a louder, heavier M4, The 240L and the Barrett system were also very pleasant to shoot. I have had limited use of Suppressed Belt Feds but I can tell you for Aircraft use they are very dangerous, seen a guy run right into a stream of rounds that the door gunner was firing as covering fire. The guy who ran into the stream was ok because it hit plates and the rest were through and throughs on his arm but he lived (lost his left arm)

It was a rare situation where they had the engines idling on the ground while we swapped out teams on a Surveillance job below the border, the guy had only been used to exfil with blackhawks and we were using a Chinook, he saw the little door and ran for it with his tunnel vision on full blast. We also stopped the ban on tracers the govt there imposed on us after that.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
reelman1

Post by reelman1 »

Off topic but what would a 250 rounds of surplus 7.62x51 in M60 links be worth?
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

reelman1 wrote:Off topic but what would a 250 rounds of surplus 7.62x51 in M60 links be worth?
http://ammunitionstore.com/products/308 ... r-m60.html
Couple hundred ish.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

quiettime wrote: I shot Rugged Suppressors' M240 with their Razor on it st the NFA Review shoot. Surprisingly pleasant to shoot. We were shooting at a junk car and I could hear my rounds impacting the wheels of the car.
I was going to recommend shooting a message to the guys at Rugged. I had the opportunity to shoot their gun too at a recent range/demo day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SGykieBP-I

(No, that's not me.)
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

We were at the NFA and wife shot it too. Very fun.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
sw2027

Post by sw2027 »

I worked on the M60, and M60E3, at the Battalion, and Intermediate Maintenance Level.There was no adjustment to the gas system on either of those. The original M60 had the tendency for the gas cylinder parts to vibrate loose if not properly tightened and safety wired. If you are dealing with the original M60 barrel and gas system you could probably try opening up the gas port on the end of the gas cylinder extension using the trial and error method.
For what its worth the M60E3 was the biggest piece of crap the Marine Corps ever fielded. It was more unreliable than the original M60. There were a few good features they incorporated in it. The top cover that allowed you to cock the weapon with the cover closed, and the new style gas system that had the fool proof piston that you couldn't put in backwards. That was about it.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I agree, I started with the M60 in 1991 in Basic, hated it through every deployment and was glad when we started getting 240's, the 249, I'm not a fan because they jammed alot. The Mk48 however I loved but it was a tooth rattler but still smoother than the M60. Even sitting next to one on a Door when the 60 was fired rattled you. It was worse than any other MG in terms of roughness, even more than the PKM and DSHK. I only had to fire MG's out of necessity to keep them up in firefights and never had to carry them on a daily basis so take it with a grain.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

Yes I did it at a machine gun shoot with a silencerco Omega. It worked just fine but damn that thing glowed so much you could see the individual baffles through the outside of the can. After allowing the silencer too cool and shooting it the next week there was no damage to the can and the can suppressed just as it did before doing the mag dumps on the M60. So have fun!
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9