DC Appeals Court overturns CCW law for D.C.

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

DC Appeals Court overturns CCW law for D.C.

Post by johndoe3 »

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/25/court ... ets-of-dc/

On Tuesday, the DC Appeals Court issued a permanent injunction against the DC Council's 3rd iteration to try and prevent citizens from concealed carry in The District, in a 2-1 vote.

You can download the PDF ruling here (right click and 'save as')

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/ ... 685640.pdf

Alan Gura (lawyer for the Heller and McDonald cases) led the team which argued the case at the DC Appeals Court.

I found the PDF ruling to be a good read. The Appeals Court Judges declared that based on the Heller and McDonald cases, that 'bearing arms outside the home for self-defense' is equal in importance to 'keeping arms in the home for self defense'. The written ruling also discussed all the cases in other Appeals Courts, and criticized those Appeals Court Decisions which diminished 'bearing arms' because they used intermediate scrutiny. Their reasoning is that since "bearing arms outside the home for self defense" (as per the Heller case) is equal to self defense in the home, and that SCOTUS ruled in Heller that self defense is the top reason for the 2nd Amendment, then self defense outside the home is a core 2nd Amendment right and requires strict scrutiny.

They issued a permanent injunction against the DC law requiring a 'good reason' to get a CCW permit in D.C. (legalizing "shall issue" for D. C. at least temporarily).

Worth downloading and reading this written ruling.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: DC Appeals Court overturns CCW law for D.C.

Post by poikilotrm »

A federal judge directed them to put together a CCW law. They have failed to do so. Start putting them in jail for contempt. Give them pens and paper, put them all together in a jail, and they stay there until they pull their heads out of their asses.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Actually, they did put together (3rd attempt at circumventing gun rights) the CCW laws which tried to minimize the court decisions against DC, thus the additional court cases.

I'm for Congress passing a shall issue law for DC as the only way to permanently ensure the DC Council knuckleheads will be constrained (Constitution gives Congress complete rule over DC).
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Where is the fight in Maryland? Maryland reacted to Heller by maintaining the "YOU must have a good reason WE think is valid" requirement and IIRC they even added MORE restrictions to long guns.

Has there been much progress since Heller? I sure haven't noticed much. Perhaps I missed it.
-----
Ick