Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake Under Can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

MaverickNH

Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake Under Can?

Post by MaverickNH »

Waiting on a SilenceRCo Omaega 300 to release - the package contains a muzzle brake attachment for quick disconnection. Any reason why one might prefer a muzzle brake over a flash hider? Perhaps they just give you a muzzle brake so you will buy the flash hider...

MaverickNH
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake Under Can?

Post by John A. »

No, the muzzlebrake lets some of the pressure exit out of the sides, away from the center of the bore.

I guess if you were shooting without a can, it may be desirable to shoot with a flashider, but not with a can.
I don't care what your chart says
MaverickNH

Post by MaverickNH »

Yep, that makes sense. Thanks.
newgunguy3

Post by newgunguy3 »

MaverickNH wrote:Waiting on a SilenceRCo Omaega 300 to release - the package contains a muzzle brake attachment for quick disconnection. Any reason why one might prefer a muzzle brake over a flash hider? Perhaps they just give you a muzzle brake so you will buy the flash hider...

MaverickNH
Since this is a 30 cal suppressor, most 30 cal weapons (308, 300winmag etc) are shot with a brake to reduce recoil. SiCo assumes you’ll need a brake to attach the can to a 30cal weapon and, as a result, includes the brake threaded for 30cal barrels. If you want to shoot 223 or some other smaller caliber, go ahead. You can use a brake or FH as you wish and will fit on those weapons.
Rustys0702Services

Post by Rustys0702Services »

I agree with John A that a brake will give better performance with a can vs a flash hider.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Performance-wise, you won't really notice a performance difference on an optimized design suppressor. Theoretically, you can get more backpressure as the brake faces act like extra baffles in the blast chamber. You'll see that on a can with a fairly restrictive chamber. The Omega is already a really high backpressure suppressor (to optimize muzzle performance) so you won't notice a sound performance between the brake and flash hider.

Many use a brake as a sacrificial baffle on really short barrels. If you have a high performance baffle material like stellite then you don't need to worry about that. Even Inconel and 17-4 will do fine unless you like doing mag dumps for internet videos. Really sharp-coned baffles will erode very quickly under hard use. Titanium sharp-coned baffles wear the fastest. I really recommend a brake when using Ti cans on shorter rifles.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

[quote="Mageever"]Many use a brake as a sacrificial baffle on really short barrels. If you have a high performance baffle material like stellite then you don't need to worry about that. Even Inconel and 17-4 will do fine unless you like doing mag dumps for internet videos. Really sharp-coned baffles will erode very quickly under hard use. Titanium sharp-coned baffles wear the fastest. I really recommend a brake when using Ti cans on shorter rifles.[/quote]

Todd, i'm with you in this.
That is why a lot of users use a MB to take the grunt out of wear.
An FH is far cheaper that the can. :wink:

Gunny
cdl

Post by cdl »

An SBR with a muzzle brake is almost unusable unsuppressed. Your dog will never forgive you and all your friends will be too busy to go shooting with you...
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I have brakes and flash hiders I use for .223 and 300 BO uppers. suppressed .223 sounds like suppressed .223 and suppressed 300 BO sounds like suppressed 300 BO. They all sound about the same on my SBR's with a 762 Silencerco.Specwar. Throw theory out the window on this one.

I happen to like the flash hiders better than the brakes. The brakes have been relegated to my hunting rifles just because I dont shoot them much.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I suspect that an MB also adds a bit of back pressure which can accept mechanism performance in a semi automatic rifle whose gas system is already a bit generous ... such as the Desert Tech MDR. Extraction and ejection are more vigorous with the MB even when not suppressed. Is showing marks on the brass not seen with the factory flash hider. With a 7.62 Saker mounted on an MB and the gas system set to suppressed the rifle is damaging spents.

Disappointing.