Reliable suppressor host list

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Trvrdgr1234

Reliable suppressor host list

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

Looking to get my first can and was curious if some pistols are generally more reliable then others when suppressed

So I'd like to here anyone's experience or even if you know a certain gun to usually have problems

Are there some guns out there that will usually need a lighter or heavier spring for example thanks guys
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reliable suppressor host list

Post by mbogo »

Glock 23 40S&W (also works with 9mm barrel).
FN FNX-T .45ACP.
Kimber 1911 .45ACP.
Rock Island XT-22 Tactical .22LR.
Ruger .22/45 Lite .22LR.
Browning Buckmark .22LR.

No spring changes were required on any of the above hosts.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

mbogo wrote:Glock 23 40S&W (also works with 9mm barrel).
FN FNX-T .45ACP.
Kimber 1911 .45ACP.
Rock Island XT-22 Tactical .22LR.
Ruger .22/45 Lite .22LR.
Browning Buckmark .22LR.

No spring changes were required on any of the above hosts.

mbogo
Thanks man t hats what I was looking for

If you don't mind me asking how has your fnx been in general ? I read peolpe talking about needing to break them In or the guns being picky about cheapo ammo
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Mine was accurate and reliable right out of the box, with hardball, JHPs, even cast SWCs and flat-points.

I shoot 230gr. bullets exclusively in that gun, so I cannot vouch for it with bullets weighing 185grs. or 200grs.

While I am a 1911 fan, the FN-X does it all and has softer perceived recoil.
mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I like using pistols with fixed barrels whenever possible.
I don't care what your chart says
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

The Beretta 92 is pretty high up there, will even function with many fixed mount cans. 1911s in general fair well. CZ 75 & clones are solid. S&W 3rd gen guns do well, too, but making them accept a suppressor is a lot more involved than buying a threaded barrel and dropping it in.

I know everybody loves Glock, but they do sometimes have issues with silencers. My own G20 has had a fair number of malfunctions suppressed, especially with heavier cans.

Also, hammer fired guns are going to have fewer issues in general, as they do not depend on slide to frame tolerances for sear engagement. Suppressors add weight, and cantilever the slide downward at the front, meaning the rear comes up. I've seen this wear strikers and sears, sometimes to the point of engagement failures. Not a big deal to fix, but annoying when it happens.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

ECCO Machine wrote:The Beretta 92 is pretty high up there, will even function with many fixed mount cans. 1911s in general fair well. CZ 75 & clones are solid. S&W 3rd gen guns do well, too, but making them accept a suppressor is a lot more involved than buying a threaded barrel and dropping it in.

I know everybody loves Glock, but they do sometimes have issues with silencers. My own G20 has had a fair number of malfunctions suppressed, especially with heavier cans.

Also, hammer fired guns are going to have fewer issues in general, as they do not depend on slide to frame tolerances for sear engagement. Suppressors add weight, and cantilever the slide downward at the front, meaning the rear comes up. I've seen this wear strikers and sears, sometimes to the point of engagement failures. Not a big deal to fix, but annoying when it happens.

Really appreciate the info man I was kinda think a g17 would be a some what boring but a safe bet

I have a copy series 80 already to use as my 45

A Beretta would be sweet or maybe I'll check all my lgs out here and there still a stumble across a nice west German p226

Thanks for the info
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

In 9mm, the Beretta 92 is the gold standard. The HK P9S also has an outstanding reputation as a host. The HK P7 reportedly works fine, but due to the locking system tends to be loud. Sourcing a threaded barrel might also be problematic.

Probably the biggest thing a Glock brings to the table is that you can get a threaded barrel readily, then try springs until you get one that works.

With any Browning-lockup design, remember that the more the gun has to lift the can, the more likely it's going to need either an LID or a lighter spring. This means you'll get the best results with a full-sized gun, and the shortest, lightest can you can get.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Trvrdgr1234 wrote: A Beretta would be sweet or maybe I'll check all my lgs out here and there still a stumble across a nice west German p226

Thanks for the info
The other nice thing about the 92 if you're capable of threading barrels is that there's enough protruding on the standard FS model. It doesn't leave a terribly long tenon, but it's acceptable.

On my own, rather than a short 1/2-28 thread, I made a 5/8-24 adapter that runs back under the slide a little and gives a significant shoulder with .450" tenon. It would have to be unscrewed to remove the barrel from the slide, but with the open slide Beretta, there's really no need to do that unless replacing the barrel.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I would suggest double checking to make sure the threaded barrel is right hand threads. Most adapters and cans are RH. Having a LH one or the other in the mix is a pain.
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

ECCO Machine wrote:
Trvrdgr1234 wrote: A Beretta would be sweet or maybe I'll check all my lgs out here and there still a stumble across a nice west German p226

Thanks for the info
The other nice thing about the 92 if you're capable of threading barrels is that there's enough protruding on the standard FS model. It doesn't leave a terribly long tenon, but it's acceptable.

On my own, rather than a short 1/2-28 thread, I made a 5/8-24 adapter that runs back under the slide a little and gives a significant shoulder with .450" tenon. It would have to be unscrewed to remove the barrel from the slide, but with the open slide Beretta, there's really no need to do that unless replacing the barrel.

Good idea on the barrel also do you notice the blow back on your Beretta to be worce them pistols with a more closes up slide

And do you use a booster on it
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Trvrdgr1234 wrote: do you notice the blow back on your Beretta to be worce them pistols with a more closes up slide

I don't notice much difference from one host to another. Ammo and the particular can affect blowback far more.

I generally do run boosters on all handguns, including fixed barrel. It's hard on small parts like pins that retain barrels in blowback guns when you add the inertia of a 10-15 ounce suppressor. I've seen the barrels start to pull out on some fixed barrel .380s running direct thread cans.
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

ECCO Machine wrote:
Trvrdgr1234 wrote: do you notice the blow back on your Beretta to be worce them pistols with a more closes up slide

I don't notice much difference from one host to another. Ammo and the particular can affect blowback far more.

I generally do run boosters on all handguns, including fixed barrel. It's hard on small parts like pins that retain barrels in blowback guns when you add the inertia of a 10-15 ounce suppressor. I've seen the barrels start to pull out on some fixed barrel .380s running direct thread cans.
Hmm very good point thanks for the info
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I own the FNX-45 tac, Ruger, and Browning in your list. My Glock is a model 19 but also do own the 23 (haven't shot that one suppressed yet) I haven't had any trouble with the ones I listed and I'm running factory springs in all my pistols that require them. They've all been equally reliable in my opinion. (Full disclosure: I don't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds out of them each year) If you own all those hosts already then suppress them all!!!! You can't have too many suppressed weapons. :) I also have the Beretta 92 and have no issues with it as well. It's the one I keep in my desk at work should it be needed to protect myself and employees during work hours.
I've gotta stop this habit.