Silencertalk Goon Squad

Best AR10?

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

DPMS?

ARMALITE?

KAS?

RRA?

etc.........

Please explain why and the pro's and cons.........

I ask b/c I want one but am new to the AR10 platform and have been told they are not all compatible liek ar15's.

Thanks.

:wink:
NFAtalk.org
cptbwst

Post by cptbwst »

They are not all compatible because there is only one ar-10 and that is armalite. Sorry to be soo technical but, that is the fact. I own armalite ar-10 and love it.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Probably KAC. They won the M-110 contract. I have a Mk11Mod0 and like it.

I don't know what is the second best.
kletzenklueffer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kletzenklueffer »

Report from guys in USMC is that the KAC is crapping out and many are being recalled. Don't know the details, but it was stated by a guy in the know on Snipershide.

The new mags for the Armalite have alleviated any problems it had.
Navy Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by Navy Gunner »

kletzenklueffer wrote:Report from guys in USMC is that the KAC is crapping out and many are being recalled. Don't know the details, but it was stated by a guy in the know on Snipershide.

This is most likely due to that fact that MARINES don't keep their weapons clean........

The MK11 Mod0 is a precision tool and like any precision tool it must be well maintained to get the most out of it.

Keep all of your weapons clean.

and remember the MARINE CORP. is part of the NAVY :lol:
"Fire for Effect"
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

kletzenklueffer wrote:
Strong statement. I am skeptical without getting the original comparison report.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

this is what it says in my G&W mag "Armalites latest AR-10 magazine eliminates earlier spring loaded tab simpilfying loading and reliability"

this is all I have to go on, but when they go on sale to the public Id get one.

this is the extent of my research

cost: nothing except missing 15 minutes of Star Trek NG.

I can only go on stuff I read and what you guys post here, I would like to get one of these in the future, so any info would help.

Live long and prosper and shoot suppressed
jjmcrowell
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jjmcrowell »

I have an AR-10T, I like it alot, It shoots great and since I got the lastest generation magazines it is become extremely reliable.

I have shot a couple DPMS LR308 rifles, I liked all of them.

About 5 years ago I got to shoot a Mk 11 Mod 0 at a school, I immediately told myself I was going to buy one, till I got home and started looking online, then I saw the price tag. They are priced so only rsilvers or the goverment can afford them ;)

If I had to start over, I would have get the DPMS LR308. They price is hard to beat compared to an Armalite or Stoner. All the DPMS LR308 rifle I have shot grouped under an 1" at a 100yds.

I think the RRA rifle is the same rifle that Bushmaster was selling for awhile. I think it had a few problems with bolts or mags or something. I could be wrong, I'm sure somebody will tell me so.

My 2 cents...
kletzenklueffer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kletzenklueffer »

rsilvers wrote:
kletzenklueffer wrote:
Strong statement. I am skeptical without getting the original comparison report.

Robert, I was referring to civvie usage in regards to reliability, not the USMC trials. Now, what I read the other day (yeah, I know) is that the reason Armalite was not chosen is because they lacked the security fence required by the DoD, and for them to install the fence, the resubmitted pricing on the SASS was higher than that of KAC, which already has said security in place since they have ongoing .mil contracts. If this is true, then it's good to hear that it wasn't weapon related.

I've put around 400 rounds through my AR10T with the new mags and have only had the single FTF at round 6. At that point, the rifle was new, and the bolt carrier was freshly phosphated (I don't say this as an excuse, but as my suspicion for the cause. I don't keep weapons that misfeed. I've sold many for this reason. If it doesn't feed and I can't attribute it to a fixable cause, then I lose all confidence in it's ability and get something else. That said, I've never sold an HK rifle or AK for this reason, but have sold a few AR's.)
Ghostface

Post by Ghostface »

According to Armalite the new mags were not ready until the trilas were over, with said I never had a problem with any Armalite mags ( converts and factory).
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Ghostface wrote:According to Armalite the new mags were not ready until the trilas were over, with said I never had a problem with any Armalite mags ( converts and factory).
I've seent he new Armalite mags and they are nice.

Having to use chopped up M14 ags kept me from buying a Ar-10 systme in the 1990's.........
NFAtalk.org
LRangepro

Post by LRangepro »

DPMS hands down. I had an SR25 and I could never do better than 3/4" at 100yds and 7/8 - 1.0 was the norm. My DPMS LR308 shoots under .25" at 100 and around 1" at 350yds. It really blows me away when I get this from a gas gun. I have many bolt guns that wont do as well. For such a low price, you cant beat it!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

0.25 - that is extremely unusual. 0.75 would be excellent if it did it most of the time. But I am talking about 5 (absolute min) to 30 round groups. 3 shots is not really a group.
LRangepro

Post by LRangepro »

I certainly dont shoot 30 round groups but I have shot five 5 round groups @ 100. Most of my groups beyond 200 are only three shots. I usually have lots of mirage to deal with and three shots is enough to tell me about the load. It may be unusual, I've only had this one DPMS, but I've heard of others shooting very tight groups as well. I'll try a group with more shots one day and I'll let you know how it does.
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

This is all just MHO

I've seen ALOT of MK11's in action
built a fair number of AR10's
Shot a DPMS rifle

To be fair I hated the MK11 for years but am not so hard on it nowadays but I'm still not convinced its ready to be a combat weapon. When you have only so much time to train you cant be cleaning your rifle every 60-80 rounds so much of maintenance is not kept up on the rifles as it should be I'll say that is true. I do believe that a guy should have a weapon that can go through his whole loadout of say 8mag with out having any reliability issues and I dont know of ANY MK11 I've seen that can do this.

As far as accuracy from the factory I'd say they generally shoot .75 to 1.25 MOA and to be realistic you need to shoot a 10 round group at 200 yards to get a real feel for how a rifle will perform.

If you got a semi auto running .75moa smile cuz you got a good one no matter what brand you have.

As for Armalite I've not been real impressed with the quality of parts I get from them. I'm begining to think they sell the parts that would be considered rejects or seconds from there complete rifles. I've been considering not dealing with them anymore.

BUT! I have seen an improvement lately I'm not sure if DPMS is giving them a run for there money and they realize they need to get on top of there game or what.

As far as the new mags-----HUGE difference not sure I would say it was the cure all but it was a BIG improvment.

My last 3 builds with the new mags M4 style feed ramps and improved extractors have functionally gone togather great and ran great with basically no need for tweaking to get to run.

The DPMS I shot was stock except for a LaRue rail and it ran GREAT I think we shot 50 or so mag through it in a week with no cleaning and no malfunctions. It was very accurate as well I was VERY surprised by this.

BUT!! This is the only rifle from them I've shot or had experience with so it is a small sampling and maybe I just got lucky but I think MY next personal .308 gas gun will be a DPMS.

oh we were using all Kinghts mags in the DPMS to be fair

FWIW
www.centurionarms.com
silentbushmaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentbushmaster »

I built the best AR10 for my needs. If only I had a PVS 22. :D
"10TH Mountain Division, Climb to Glory"
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

I must say that is a nice one ans yes a PVS22 would be very nice but as long as your not using it on a .50 you should get a MUNS from OSTI.

Good to 1000yrds :D
www.centurionarms.com
Ghostface

Post by Ghostface »

I don't know how well these will be but I could meet the price of the cheapest one they offer. I will wait and read the reviews.

http://www.opticsplus.net/NightVision/R ... aponsSight

[img][img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/ ... NPVS22.jpg[/img][/img]
stymie
Silent But Deadly

KAC/KMC STONER SR-25K/RAS...

Post by stymie »

:twisted:

NICE triggers & REAL friggin' accurate with FED .308m

I'm kinda partial to these little carbines. Too bad there aren't any transferable RDIAS... lol
:shock:
An M16 on steroids would be sweet!

"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Awesome. Awesome. I have the same one, more or less. Mine has an AAC flash suppressor on it.
Noiseless

Post by Noiseless »

A guy I know has an Eagle Arms (Armalite) AR10 16" carbine for sale. Price seems right.

I know they don't have Chrome chambers . . . are they still good guns
LRangepro

DPMS 308

Post by LRangepro »

I shot ASC with my DPMS 308 a few weeks ago. I didnt win but I did hit most of the long shots including 1050 and 1180 yds. I had not cleaned my gun since a few days before the match and at the end of the 2nd day, I had nearly 200 rounds, no cleaning, no malfunctions of any kind and the last group I fired was in 15-20mph wind and it still shot about 3/4 MOA.
wes1

Post by wes1 »

I haven't had any " issues" from my 5 year old AR10T, and it still shoots under 1 MOA.

Last edited by wes1 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Some of mine:

lawndart

Post by lawndart »

I must be luckier than most with my AR-10's.

I started with them because I used to live not far from their factory.

I learned early to keep things cleaned and lubed appropriate for the surrounding environment. The original magazines sucked about 1/2 the time. I kept reworking them until they didn't suck at all. The new mags most assuredly do not suck.

I read every technical note that comes out. Whenever a tweak or an upgrade is available I test it out.

I have played around with different buffers and different springs depending on whether I am using a carbine, battle rifle or target rifle version.

I do yearn for a low profile, and easily adjustable gas manifold.

I'm realistic enough to know that I will eventually make the change to a gas trap system for carbine and battle rifle uses.

The evolutionary pressures of the GWOT have resulted in an explosion of new concepts and designs. It is a good thing, but also expensive.
"Oh nothing mom; just pounding priomers with a hammer."