Can't belive I just bought a Welrod !

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Can't belive I just bought a Welrod !

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi Guys,

Just had to tell you lot about this, I have been interested in the WWII Welrod suppressed pistol for some time now but they are so very rare I had started the plans to make a copy. With that in mind went to a gun show today to meet a guy with an original so that I could take a few measurements etc.

Well after a long chat and me starting the measuring, he decided that I was a worthy custodian and despite previously say no he decided to sell it WOW !

These things are rare in the world let alone NZ so even though it cost....shall we say quite a bit I am stoked to have it.

It is in great, fully operational condition, and I think a real find.

So the reason I posted in the Smithing forum, well most of you have seen my previous projects and I still intend drawing this thing up and making a copy or two, so watch this space.

All the best Enfield

Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't belive I just bought a Welrod !

Post by doubloon »

Congrats, looks like it is in fantastic condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I know that you may answer this request as "no" and I won't judge you if you do.

Is there any way that you could fire a shot with it on video so for those of us who will never be able to have hands on experience with them will have some point of reference? I too have had extreme interest in both the welrod and the original Delisle carbines.

Also, another question is that chambered in 32acp or a 9mm?

Most 32's are inherently subsonic and not a bad choice for what that is.

Also, I have heard that British SAS have used their welrods as recently as the Iraqi war.
I don't care what your chart says
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

John A. wrote:I know that you may answer this request as "no" and I won't judge you if you do.

Is there any way that you could fire a shot with it on video so for those of us who will never be able to have hands on experience with them will have some point of reference? I too have had extreme interest in both the welrod and the original Delisle carbines.

Also, another question is that chambered in 32acp or a 9mm?

Most 32's are inherently subsonic and not a bad choice for what that is.

Also, I have heard that British SAS have used their welrods as recently as the Iraqi war.
Hi John,

This is a MKIIA in 32 acp, I will of course try it out, though I have been researching it for some time and know that they were supposed to be good for only 10-15 shot with a set of wipes. I intend copying it and as such will get it apart in the next few weeks and make a new set of wipes. I think best to do the video with a new set (current ones look a bit worn from what I can see down the bore) this should give the best results.

Cheers
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

If you haven't already, have a look at the step by step build thread following Stan1 as he built a couple of these, one in basic steel, the 'real' one out of proper alloys. I think he intends to donate the prototype to a museum. He shares video towards the end of the thread and makes fairly obvious just how different is the sound between conventional baffled suppressors and the Welrod's stack of wipes. It's weirdly subdued. A noise one might overlook from 20 feet away.

https://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11855
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

a_canadian wrote:If you haven't already, have a look at the step by step build thread following Stan1 as he built a couple of these, one in basic steel, the 'real' one out of proper alloys. I think he intends to donate the prototype to a museum. He shares video towards the end of the thread and makes fairly obvious just how different is the sound between conventional baffled suppressors and the Welrod's stack of wipes. It's weirdly subdued. A noise one might overlook from 20 feet away.

https://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11855

Thanks for that I have looked all over but never found that....excellent Cheers
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I hadn't noticed this last video in the thread. Pretty neat. He's got loud rifle shots in an adjacent range for contrast, which demonstrate very nicely how good his recording setup is. Virtually no noise reduction, just plain old loud gunshots without distortion. Then amongst them you hear his little Welrod, hardly a noise at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g75dewlz2o97b ... m.m4v?dl=0
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Incredible find!
What a joyful eye-candy
to greet one on this snowy day.

Thank you for sharing.

Bravo, Sir.

Best.
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

Enjoy your new acquisition.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Remembered this YouTube presentation of the historic role Welrod
played in WW2 with the British SOE*.

<< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzOU4vom2fs >>

*Ref. Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945
Paperback – September 12, 2000 - Leo Marks
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

For those 'relics' who still find intelligence operations of WW2 intriguing
I pass on to you an article on Leo Marks of SOE that was just sent to me.

<< http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Revie ... mazon.html >>

And for those who have heard about Bletchley Park and their breaking ENGIMA,
few know that it was not Alan Turing who broke the code ... he developed the
BOMBA computer to decode German transmits faster than their recipients.

It was Gordon Welchman of Hut Six, whom I had the honor of meeting long ago. A
superb mathematician who used Group Theory to prove that the number of
permutations of the code wheels was really orders of magnitude smaller that
first postulated. And before he even decoded the first Enigma messages his theory
of message traffic analysis gave up information as if the code had been broken. The
traffic analysis was classified well into the Cold War.

God rest his brilliant soul.

<< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Welchman >>
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi Historian, all interesting stuff ....thanks.

Update to all, I would like to put a shot through it but the end cap does not want to budge, so this thing is too valuable to just hope its is all ok inside so I have it booked in at a place in town and we are going to x-ray it to check on corrosion in the suppressor tube. This in itself should be fun and I can share the x-rays on here.

Cheers
Capehunter

Post by Capehunter »

Very nice!!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Enfield577 wrote:Hi Historian, all interesting stuff ....thanks.

Update to all, I would like to put a shot through it but the end cap does not want to budge, so this thing is too valuable to just hope its is all ok inside so I have it booked in at a place in town and we are going to x-ray it to check on corrosion in the suppressor tube. This in itself should be fun and I can share the x-rays on here.

Cheers
I found that soaking 'frozen' metal parts responds beautifully to
a mixture of 50% Transmission fluid and 50% Acetone (do not breath this
in! ).

Ref: << https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CESDxCloCoQ >>

Best, my Friend.
Stan1

Post by Stan1 »

Historian, being bit of a Station IX fan that Leo Marks interview was fascinating to me. I have to read the book now. Thanks for your usual clever insights.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

I was interested in the bolt action design of the Welrod, and found a very thorough document here: https://edoc.site/the-welrod-suppressor-pdf-free.html
Stan1

Post by Stan1 »

alordnapa wrote:I was interested in the bolt action design of the Welrod, and found a very thorough document here: https://edoc.site/the-welrod-suppressor-pdf-free.html
That's a download of Anders Thygesen's site http://timelapse.dk. I'd go straight to the site and skip the ads :-)

Anders has done a great job of collecting and sorting the best Welrod info on the web.
Capehunter

Post by Capehunter »

Sent you a pm.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

that is a super find. Mine has a bad magazine grip.
Working on a modern sample to. Uses a different mag and is going to be 9 mm

Realy happy for you Enfield.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Enfield577 wrote:Hi Guys,

Just had to tell you lot about this, I have been interested in the WWII Welrod suppressed pistol for some time now but they are so very rare I had started the plans to make a copy. With that in mind went to a gun show today to meet a guy with an original so that I could take a few measurements etc.

Well after a long chat and me starting the measuring, he decided that I was a worthy custodian and despite previously say no he decided to sell it WOW !

These things are rare in the world let alone NZ so even though it cost....shall we say quite a bit I am stoked to have it.

So the reason I posted in the Smithing forum, well most of you have seen my previous projects and I still intend drawing this thing up and making a copy or two, so watch this space.

All the best Enfield

So incredibly cool!! Thanks for the pics. Was it terribly expensive and does he have any more??
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi,

Yes it was quite pricey, think one kidney and a left nut ha ha, no more I am afraid, I think this might be the only one in NZ
gsyoung54 wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:Hi Guys,

All the best Enfield

So incredibly cool!! Thanks for the pics. Was it terribly expensive and does he have any more??