SILENCERS ARE EVIL

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mlevans66

SILENCERS ARE EVIL

Post by mlevans66 »

Hello all! This is my first post so a little history. I escaped from the PRK (People Republik of Kalifonia) in Aug. I proudly served with the rebellion against the gun grabbers but we lost anyway. I moved back to my free county of Mo in aug and now I can finally purchase what I have longed for. A suppressor. I'm going to go with the Rugged Suppressor Obsidian 9 but after so much research I realized. These things are expensive and you have to buy so much! Threaded barrels, 300 blk out upper, sub sonic ammo, etc I have to get to be in a happy place! People, suppressors are evil!!!

ML
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: SILENCERS ARE EVIL

Post by ECCO Machine »

mlevans66 wrote:Hello all! This is my first post so a little history. I escaped from the PRK (People Republik of Kalifonia) in Aug. I proudly served with the rebellion against the gun grabbers but we lost anyway. I moved back to my free county of Mo in aug and now I can finally purchase what I have longed for. A suppressor. I'm going to go with the Rugged Suppressor Obsidian 9 but after so much research I realized. These things are expensive and you have to buy so much! Threaded barrels, 300 blk out upper, sub sonic ammo, etc I have to get to be in a happy place! People, suppressors are evil!!!

ML
Well, they can be cheap, but you'll spend a boatload on the equipment to build them and to thread all your barrels. I can build titanium and stainless cans for $40 to $80 each, and thread any barrel I like for nothing more than my time and the occasional NT3 type insert, but the equipment & tooling I use to do so has cost me well over $40K on the used market.

Yes, they're an addiction, and they are expensive here in the US due to a combination of market forces and the fact that our arduous process makes them a lifetime investment, so most are very high quality. They are worth it, though.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

mlevans66 wrote:... These things are expensive and you have to buy so much! Threaded barrels, 300 blk out upper, sub sonic ammo, etc I have to get to be in a happy place! People, suppressors are evil!!!

ML
Yes. There are cheap everything out there but, with a few exceptions, you get what you pay for.

At least these days there are a lot more factory threaded options than there used to be so that helps contain some of the cost. But just like fishing, golfing and the rest it's still not a cheap hobby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Evil?
I don't know about that but if you have a neighbor or 2 with in shouting distance using a suppressor is just being neighborly.
So much has changed since my last form 1
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

Of course "Silencers" are Evil ... Only the bad guys use them, you can see that in every good movie :mrgreen:

They are also "Evil" in the sense that once you get into it, its like any other really interesting pursuit: It will cause you to start spending inordinate amounts of money on "peripherals" like new barrels, new guns and new reloading gear and reloading supplies ..

You will end up with stacked boxes of bullets in unusable weights, cans of unusable powder, and maybe even bullet-moulds ..

You will spend hours and days experimenting with loads, and days at the ranges doing the tedious work of testing useless loads and forgetting to write down all the details or measurements -- So that you can repeat the work a few years later, and find that the loads are still useless, loud, or lack precision ..

MY KIND of "EVIL" :mrgreen: :twisted: :lol:
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

I disagree. Silencers are good for the soul. Lemme ‘splain....

Money is the root of all evil, right???

So... getting hooked on silencers costs tons of money, right????

So... you now have much less money, right????

So... your soul gets more and more pure with each purchase, right????

The conclusion is indisputable....
Silencers= Salvation
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

BlogSarge wrote:I disagree. Silencers are good for the soul. Lemme ‘splain....

Silencers= Salvation
Brilliant reasoning!
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
dollar298

Post by dollar298 »

Silencers= Salvation

Genius!!!!

Come to think of it, I feel more saintly every time I shoot suppressed. :D
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

Sweet. Now can someone call my wife and tell her I need several more silencers (and NFA stuff in general) to save my soul? Lol
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Just wait until you are tired of your friends shooting unsuppressed so now you buy cans that they can use when you are out shooting with them.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

MJF1911 wrote:Just wait until you are tired of your friends shooting unsuppressed so now you buy cans that they can use when you are out shooting with them.
Sad but true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mlevans66

Post by mlevans66 »

Good Lord! Some of these replies are down right AWESOME. lol I'm already looking at threaded barrels for my S&W 2.0c and HK VP9sk. That's over $500 right there! Then I'm looking at the CZ scorpion as well for a 9mm bullet hose for that can. I guess I'm already getting closer to sainthood with the money about to spend lol.
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

mlevans66 wrote:Good Lord! Some of these replies are down right AWESOME. lol I'm already looking at threaded barrels for my S&W 2.0c and HK VP9sk. That's over $500 right there! Then I'm looking at the CZ scorpion as well for a 9mm bullet hose for that can. I guess I'm already getting closer to sainthood with the money about to spend lol.

:D You'll be nominated for Pope if you keep up at this rate.
mlevans66

Post by mlevans66 »

BlogSarge wrote:
mlevans66 wrote:Good Lord! Some of these replies are down right AWESOME. lol I'm already looking at threaded barrels for my S&W 2.0c and HK VP9sk. That's over $500 right there! Then I'm looking at the CZ scorpion as well for a 9mm bullet hose for that can. I guess I'm already getting closer to sainthood with the money about to spend lol.

:D You'll be nominated for Pope if you keep up at this rate.

LMBO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Todd Is

Post by Todd Is »

I'm on the path to righteousness!
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

mlevans66 wrote:Hello all! This is my first post so a little history. I escaped from the PRK (People Republik of Kalifonia) in Aug. I proudly served with the rebellion against the gun grabbers but we lost anyway. I moved back to my free county of Mo in aug and now I can finally purchase what I have longed for. A suppressor. I'm going to go with the Rugged Suppressor Obsidian 9 but after so much research I realized. These things are expensive and you have to buy so much! Threaded barrels, 300 blk out upper, sub sonic ammo, etc I have to get to be in a happy place! People, suppressors are evil!!!

ML
Heh, Heh, Heh.... you are hooked now on something worse than heroin... soon you will be needing .22 suppressors and why not a .45 ACP and might as well get something so you can shoot your AR without hearing protection.... Be afraid... Be very afraid...
George
mlevans66

Post by mlevans66 »

gsyoung54 wrote:

ML
Heh, Heh, Heh.... you are hooked now on something worse than heroin... soon you will be needing .22 suppressors and why not a .45 ACP and might as well get something so you can shoot your AR without hearing protection.... Be afraid... Be very afraid...
George
Naaaaw youre not getting me with that! Beside I couldn't find a threaded barrel for my XDm 45. LOL I'm going to stick with 9mm only now for the time being. Might get a CZ scorpion in the future.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Silencers= Salvation

Brilliantly presented. My compliments, Sir, on your
unassailable logic. I see the light, brothers, finally. :D

Once HPA passes I shall cleanse my soul by casting off some of my evil lucre
by upgrading to Deadair Mask ( custom oder 9.5" version if
I can beseech Mike et al to make me one) , and a Devil-incarnate Osprey ( heavenly
angels singing praises on this Good Friday ) with booster for 1937 FN
Browning HiPower 9mm & 1965 Gov.NM .45; and after a breather make adapter for
my H&R WW2 .22 M65 trainer.

Again, I admire your turn of phrase.

Best.
Last edited by Historian on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

Historian wrote:

Silencers= Salvation

Brilliantly presented. My compliments, Sir, on your
unassailable logic. I see the light, brothers, finally. :D

Once HPA passes I shall cleanse my soul by casting off some of my evil lucre
by upgrading to Deadair Mask ( custom oder 9.5" version if
I can beseech Mike et al to make me one) , and a Devil-incarnate Osprey ( heavenly
angels sining praises on this Good Friday ) with booster for 1937 FN
Browning HiPower 9mm & 1965 Gov.NM .45; and after a breather make adapter for
my H&R WW2 .22 M65 trainer.

Again, I admire your turn of phrase.

Best.
Verily it is so. And quite appropriate during this, the Easter season of forgiveness and absolution!