dead air mask 22

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

dead air mask 22

Post by ericdraven »

got in mail few days ago , first impressions ,

not had a chance to shoot yet but i was kinda letdown by the finish on the can some areas felt gritty like salt around spots when turning in my hand . im guessing bubbles in the cerakoke . also the baffle stack does not fit tightly when taking apart and putting together the stack wobbles a bit much .

my first suppressor spectre2 baffles click tight together and you know its holding .

meh just alittle bit letdown rant . i still like it ,now to shoot to compare to spectre2, sparrow, mack bros,regulator .so far my regulator is the quietest 22 can i got .
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: dead air mask 22

Post by quiettime »

ericdraven wrote:not had a chance to shoot yet but i was kinda letdown by the finish on the can some areas felt gritty like salt around spots when turning in my hand . im guessing bubbles in the cerakoke . also the baffle stack does not fit tightly when taking apart and putting together the stack wobbles a bit much . .
Have to agree, I handled mine at the dealer and the finish is not nearly as nice as my Griffin or SiCo cans..

The threads were also very gritty and the baffles were loose as you said, and I had trouble getting them to stack back into the endcap correctly.

Also feels a LOT heavier than my Warlock II, and at 2.2 times the weight I guess it is...hoping the performance will sway me back and the grittiness will wear off
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

tomorrow will be the perfect time to shoot it, even in your neighborhood. with all the firecrackers going off, no one will suspect you are shooting your rimfire. shoot it and report back with your opinions. thanks. :D
the POWPOW now goes powpow
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Totally shocked. Mine is perfect. I'd get ahold of Dead Air. I've never heard anything bad about them and I know Mike is passionate about the products. My guess is that if you contact them they will take great care of you.

Aaron
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

Aaron wrote:Totally shocked. Mine is perfect. I'd get ahold of Dead Air. I've never heard anything bad about them and I know Mike is passionate about the products. My guess is that if you contact them they will take great care of you.

Aaron

so no grit on your can ? and baffles fit tightly and snug ?? no gritty threads ? i think i will give them a call then , maybe a bad batch got out . i know the can i got my Spectre 2 is like a jewel compared to the mask for fit and cosmetic . no chance to shoot yet but i will call mike soon
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

ericdraven wrote:
Aaron wrote:Totally shocked. Mine is perfect. I'd get ahold of Dead Air. I've never heard anything bad about them and I know Mike is passionate about the products. My guess is that if you contact them they will take great care of you.

Aaron

so no grit on your can ? and baffles fit tightly and snug ?? no gritty threads ? i think i will give them a call then , maybe a bad batch got out . i know the can i got my Spectre 2 is like a jewel compared to the mask for fit and cosmetic . no chance to shoot yet but i will call mike soon

Nope, perfectly machined. Fit and finish are perfect. I was so pleased that I ordered a Ghost a week after my Mask came in.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Aaron wrote: Nope, perfectly machined. Fit and finish are perfect. I was so pleased that I ordered a Ghost a week after my Mask came in.
mt experience, as well. only complaint i have is that i keep unscrewing the body from the mask when i unmount it from a host. maybe i havent smashed down hard enough on it with the takedown wrench yet.

my Ghost will be in my hands any day now.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I did fondle my Sandman last week and it was very nice
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

If the threads aren't coated in some way or finished they will seem a little gritty or if there is media from blasting in them. I'd contact them, the ones I have seen here locally were very nicely finished. I know most companies dont spend a lot of time on rimfire finishes but Im certain Mike does. bad batch is also what I'm guessing. most likely a QC person was fired who hated their job of looking at "Stupid tubes that dont do anything"
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

My guess as well. I plan on getting it home and shooting/cleaning it first. If it performs the way I expect it will I'll probably not worry about it
mgobel

Post by mgobel »

Mine was perfect also.

Mark
BigBlockBobby

Post by BigBlockBobby »

Mine is also perfect. I have a little bit of a gritty feel to the threads but no more than any of my other cans when new.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

OK I picked it up today. I have to say it must have been a combination of the oil on the can and the crappy lighting at the dealer. Can finish looks fine. The threads are indeed a bit gritty but I'm sure that will wear in.

Sounds good with CCI standard on pistol and Bolt rifle. Very similar overall, frp, tone and DB to my Warlock II (amazing sounding can BTW) but with a couple differencrs: Mask is about 3/4" shorter and it can be cleaned in an ultrasonic. With rimfire ammo slowly trickling back to retailers, I am ready to go burn some up now!
steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by steel »

I've had my Mask many months now it's a great suppressor construction wise and performance. I have a couple M&P compact 22's and several 10/22's so I have tested my Mask Head to head using same host against my ever growing rimfire suppressor collection :D

I think the Mask and Spectre II sound really, really close using gemtech subsonic and Eley subsonic HP ammo. FRP and the Following shoots blind test it would be hard for me to pick a winner sound wise it's that close.

That said personally I like the Mask aesthetically better as the shorter/fatter fluted tube just floats my boat. I've never been a fan of extra length with any of my suppressors just like them short and fat.

Overall the Mask is in my top three favorite rimfire suppressors, it's not magic nor does it blow my other top models out of the water. Just solid performance,construction and easy to clean.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Have to agree, the Mask is very close to my Warlock II in sound level and tone, which is alum version of Spectre II. It's a nice can, but not sure it's worth the price premium over the Spectre...ymmv
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

ericdraven wrote:got in mail few days ago , first impressions ,

not had a chance to shoot yet but i was kinda letdown by the finish on the can some areas felt gritty like salt around spots when turning in my hand . im guessing bubbles in the cerakoke . also the baffle stack does not fit tightly when taking apart and putting together the stack wobbles a bit much .

my first suppressor spectre2 baffles click tight together and you know its holding .

meh just alittle bit letdown rant . i still like it ,now to shoot to compare to spectre2, sparrow, mack bros,regulator .so far my regulator is the quietest 22 can i got .
With the mask you need to sometimes make the baffles click together by pressing firmly with a lightly gloved hand on the stack on a piece of wood. I had the same issue with mine and now that it's been shot and taken apart, cleaned and lightly RemOiled several times it fits perfectly. It is also the quietest .22 suppressor I've ever shot, dry or wet, and I own all the new ones...

George

Too much stuffs to list...
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

yeah since that post things have settled out , and works fine and im happy now . im reckoning it needed to be shot to work out kinks in fit but after alot of rounds it works ok andis
very quiet and one of now my favorties
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

So I have shot my mask quite a bit and even head to head with my Warlock II.

Have to say that a coating of carbon in the can seemed to make a big difference in the tone.

Also, first round pop is WAY better on the Mask especially on 22/45 Ruger pistol. On my .22 AR I really get that staple gun sound Twang n Bang was talking about in the review. Report and action noise seem on par with the trigger reset.

I shoot CCI standard velocity almost exclusively. The only issue I've had is some rounds going transsonic in 30 degree temps out if bolt action rifle (CZ455 16")

This is a great can. Can't wait to get my hands on an Occulus but honestly it would be hard to beat the performance of the Mask HD. My hat is off to Todd Magee, your design flat works
Deserteaglexxx

Post by Deserteaglexxx »

I think the Oculus is better, you will see when you get one.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Deserteaglexxx wrote:I think the Oculus is better, you will see when you get one.
Yea but the Mask HD is quieter than the oculus. I hope dead air is as good as people say it is. Because I’m about to drop $1,500 on a mask HD , and Odessa 9
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

tps3443 wrote:
Deserteaglexxx wrote:I think the Oculus is better, you will see when you get one.
Yea but the Mask HD is quieter than the oculus. I hope dead air is as good as people say it is. Because I’m about to drop $1,500 on a mask HD , and Odessa 9
I own both. Reading numbers can often be misleading. Meter calibration, which scale was used, ambient temp, barometer, were you in the open or in a pit, does one have different tone? I have shot mine side by side on identical Ruger SR-22's and Walther P22's i think they are.. whatever came before the PPQ's and I wouldn't be able to tell one from the other. One cool thing about the Oculus is that you can take it down to short size, put ablative in it and it will be about as quiet as the longer Mask. The Mask is easier to clean. They are both baffled cans which I really like but the longer Liberty Regulator monocore can be just as quiet with with wire pulling gel, which seems to last forever in a .22...

So the obvious solution is that you have to eventually get both, and the new Ruger SR, and the Regulator.... etc.. It's worse than heroin...
George from Alaska
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

tps3443 wrote:
i hope you got a chance to look at the Mask/Ghost deal first.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

mars wrote:
tps3443 wrote:
i hope you got a chance to look at the Mask/Ghost deal first.
The deal is still on... I'm getting a Ghost at half price when I get my Wolverine at the same time... and one of them had a gift certificate or rebate on top of all that. Too bad they can't ship a couple of extra wipes with the Ghost anymore... will ATF/NFA ever make up their mind? I used to be able to buy piles of wipes for my old AWC Hush Puppy - a Reed Knight/Phil Dater collaboration. I think it needed two. Asked the last ATF guy that inspected my business what the heck was the deal with wipes? He was a former Alaska State Trooper and a former FFL and a current long range rifle shooter and he said that he and the other inspectors think that its pretty silly. It falls under the idiotic "constructive intent" wording they use whenever they don't like anything. OK.. so if I have one extra wipe and it's considered a regulated silencer part and a person wanted to abuse the law anyway they would have to find or make threaded tubing, quality baffles or a monocore, a double threaded muzzle attachment/can holder together piece and a threaded end cap. Seems pretty ridiculous especially since you are already a qualified person if you bought the Ghost in the first place!! This from the guys that have allowed, in effect, unregistered SBR's because we can now occasionally shoulder a well padded and adjustable arm brace?? Maybe someone keeps putting a different kind of mushrooms on their ordered pizzas..... Guess it's time to upgrade my 07/03 to an 02...
George from Alaska
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

Hands down the BEST .22 can I've ever owned, and I've had 4 .22 cans and this guy is the KING! Its SUPER quiet, easy to clean and take apart, and also has very little, if any first round pop, especially when using a medium like ultra sound gel. When shooting out of a pistol, you don't have to use subs and its just as quiet as shooting subs out of a 10/22. I dont reccomend buying 1 of these cans, I suggest you buy 2 of them!
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9