Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Post by Hard_ware »

The 1.5” passthru will help with inside threading longer 1.5” diameter pieces.
All metal gears as well. Still a cheap lathe but the lowest priced unit with that large of a bore.
I believe it’s a mt5 spindle.

Search eBay with 8x16 750w
Model TS-210
Brand Taishi
eBay

For those in need of a step up from a 7x mini lathe
NRA Life Member
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Post by jreinke »

The spindle bore is 38mm which is NOT 1.5". I'll bet you money it will not accept a 1.5" OD tube.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Maybe?

Different brand

https://www.remsales.com/machine/tsugam ... ock-lathe/

Maximum Bar Stock 38 mm, 1.5 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
BinaryAndy
Silent Operator

Post by BinaryAndy »

I wouldn't count on it fitting a 1.5" bar, and if it does I wouldn't count on the spindle bore being concentric enough to hold it properly. That said, it has an MT5 spindle taper, the small end of which is supposed to be about 1.55", so it's certainly plausible that it might work. 1-3/8 or even 1-7/16 should be workable, but keep in mind the bore through the chuck could very well be smaller than the spindle bore.

It has a roughly 1hp motor. That would be perfectly adequate in a gear- or belt-driven machine, or even a variable DC drive, but that looks like it might be an AC motor with an electronic variable speed drive. If that's the case, given the speed range, it will have next to no torque at low speeds. Drilling fairly large holes won't go well. It might be a mechanical variable speed like on a Bridgeport, which should be fine. It also doesn't seem to have power feeds on either axis, thread pitches are selected using change gears, and I don't see a way to reverse the lead screw. I also see no threading dial, which means cutting threads will involve reversing the spindle with the lead screw still engaged to retract the tool after each pass.

ETA: 38mm is 1.496". I doubt the manufacturing tolerance on that hole is less than .004 anyway, so for all intents and purposes, 38mm is 1.5".
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Thanks!

I was interested in ordering one, but only if it had the 1.5” passthru as listed.

The 5” chuck would need to have been modified for a 1.5” as 1.18” is common for a 5” chuck.

Hate to order one and have to go thru hassle of sending it back.

I like the small size as I don’t want a 1000lb plus lathe, just wanted the ability to run 1.5” x 12” without a steady rest.

It’s a DC motor, and no lead screw indicator for engaging half nuts. Have to back off and run in reverse to restart next threading pass. I think a lead screw indicator from a 7x mini lathe could be setup.

Pic of thru spindle bore
Apparently the larger bore is making its way to hobby lathes as several are manufactured.
NRA Life Member
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Ordered 1 will post info when I run some 17-4 solid rod thru it.
eBay has a 10% off today till 8am Friday eastern time up to $100 off
PICKUPTEN is promo code.

$891.00 delivered

Have a few e-form 1’s I am waiting on.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

Hard_ware wrote:Ordered 1 will post info when I run some 17-4 solid rod thru it.
eBay has a 10% off today till 8am Friday eastern time up to $100 off
PICKUPTEN is promo code.

$891.00 delivered

Have a few e-form 1’s I am waiting on.
nice! that looks very similar to my HF 8x12 machine. If you wouldn't mind taking a photo of the belt drive system and measuring the length of the spindle I would greatly appreciate it. If I could retrofit that spindle into my machine it would widen my capabilities by a great margin without having to buy a new machine. I'm limited to .780" now....ick!

It's easier to drop a bill or 2 into what I have vs something new and if I go new new I want something much larger.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Ok will do, should get it next Weds.
When I set it up I will get the info for you.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

Hard_ware wrote:Ok will do, should get it next Weds.
When I set it up I will get the info for you.
Cool Thanks
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

First 4.25 inches are 1.675 rest is under 1.5 but can be honed to allow 1.5 to pass.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

That should give you some serious capabilities. When you get a chance It would be great if you took a picture of belt/gear drive setup and length of spindle. Its looking like I'll be trying to get the spindle and fit it into my machine :mrgreen:
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Will do, I still have cover off and tuning unit up.
I am currently working on a chuck mounting plate for my 6” 4-jaw to fit this lathe.
It has 2” pass thru, then I will hone out the spindle the rest of the way for just over 1.5”.
The compound slide would be much smoother with a ball bearing installed vs a hole.
With my 4-jaw I can mod the end plate to press a bearing in.
I use my Milwaukee m12 driver to run the cross slide and lead screw.
Makes turning stuff much quicker then cranking knobs.
Need to fab up some saddle stops, and possibly an e-stop micro switch.
3 jaw chuck needs 2 jaws to be ground it’s about .004 out, already rotated it and played musical jaws.
Couldn’t get it any better. Going to clamp 4 jaw chuck to spindle and center it so I can work the back side of adapter plate to fit spindle of this lathe, shouldn’t take much time to turn and drill.
NRA Life Member
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

I cut register to 64.79mm for my 6" 4 jaw chuck I am in the process of mounting.
The register that is factory is 95mm diameter for the 3 jaw chuck.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

Thank you for taking the time to take those photo's. going to measure up my machine but not looking to promising as your belt drive is way different. Oh well.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Welcome!

Just got back 2 form 1’s approved
Submitted on the 10/23/2018 thru eforms.
Approved on 11/08/2018.
Last edited by Hard_ware on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

wow that's fantastic!

Get to turning! :mrgreen:
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Already started a few k’s from 17-4 for the 22lr.
NRA Life Member
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Ok, lathe has a 2mm lead screw and no lead screw dial.
Well cutting 1mm pitch threads the lead screw can be engaged any time no dial needed.
The half nut can only engage when threads are aligned which would be every half turn of the lead screw which is every 1mm. The position of the threading tool just needs to be positioned back at thread start position before engaging. Now cutting tpi the half nut needs to stayed locked until I 3D print a dial for the tpi I plan on cutting.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

You can leave the half nut engaged and just back out the cross slide, reverse machine, zero the cross slide, advance your compound and turn machine back the correct direction since you don't have a dial.

This is actually how I still do my threading. still figuring it out. I've gotten pretty comfortable with turning operations but threading is still a little foreign to me. getting there though. :)
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

I got use to the dial, much faster. No need to stop the lathe, just return the carriage to your zero mark and start a new pass. I usually cut internal threads in reverse, cutting outwards so no worry about stopping on a gnats a$$.
I was wanting to cut 28tpi or 32tpi for end caps but with the 2mm lead screw metric pitch will be faster and no watching dial if I had one :lol: Not sure if .5mm threads are too small for end caps? I am going to experiment with .5 mm .75mm and 1mm pitch as the lead screw will only engage at at the 2mm travel so you cant engage it at the wrong time from my understanding. I have not tried this yet so it will be a learning experience.
If job and lead screw are turning in the same direction you are cutting right hand threads. This lathe has no way of cutting left hand threads without a mod to reverse the lead screw rotation.

When I have to cut threads to match a barrel's threading I will have to leave the lead screw engaged if it's Imperial TPI.
NRA Life Member
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

i'm no machinist. just a hobbiest but looking at this chart I have .5mm is almost 51tpi :shock: pretty small!

ECCO Machine was mentioning that he runs 28-32 on most of his cans(.045-.035 wall) but has run as small as high 30's or low 40's (was on a .028" walled rimfire can but I cant remember off the top of my head the exact tpi but i'll try and dig it up) but he mentioned that he runs long tenon's to make up for the smaller threads

Correction: .070=24tpi, .045=30tpi, .035=36tpi, .028=40tpi again this is what ECCO machine is using with success. He does mention that concentricity is critical on the finer TP's
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Thanks for info!

The 1mm pitch is what I like for this lathe with a 2mm lead screw, it’s close to 25 tpi.
I am using .065 tubing.
I can engage leadscrew anytime the threading tool is in position.
Really quick to set a zero and cut each pass without stopping machine no dial needed.
Had to make a bushing as the gearing the lathe listed would not fit in position for 1mm pitch.
Had to disassemble the compound slide the locking disc was not machined low enough.
The compound had some brass shims under it to correct for this.
Removed the compound pivot that locks it down and took 50 thousands off it.
Now no shims needed and it locks properly.

So far lathe is a big step up from the 7x units, just be prepared to work on it to get it running tight.
Cutting metric threads with unit no dial needed for most common metric pitches.

Ok I made a 34T gear which allows 24.015 TPI & 28.017 tpi much closer then factory supplied gears with the factory 2mm lead screw. Had to calculate the gear ratios, as this lathe has a 56 tooth spindle gear. So gearing always starts with 56/A x B/C . The way the gears line up best to use 3 gear changes to get to desired thread pitch. With another 84T gear 32.001 TPI can happen.
NRA Life Member
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

That was a heck of a deal. Couldn't find anything like that on eBay, but through a google search, I found a company selling them. Now, gotta wait for them to wake up and answer my question on what the shipping is going to cost.

In my search, I did find a lathe similar to it that was advertised with an Imperial lead screw. Suppose that would be feasible to swap over if I could get ahold of just the screw?
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

eBay Seller gets a few but they sell out.

With a 34T gear you can cut imperial threads.
Amazon has some metal 34 tooth gears for RC cars that can be bored out to 12mm to fit.
A keyway needs to be filed/ dremel tooled in and you can have a metal 34t gear for under $8.

I added some flanged ball bearings to the compound slide screw, it’s super smooth now.
Went with a 4 jaw chuck, it’s a bit of a pain centering work. But the plus side is you can center it for no runout. You can chuck up square work as well. That’s what I used to hold the compound slide end plate to bore it out to press fit the flanged bearings.
NRA Life Member
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

I'll have to keep my eye on eBay then. Happen to have the seller's username?

I heard back from someone on the website I found. It shows $500 on the website, but the person quoted me $800 plus shipping. I emailed back with a picture showing the price I see and was pretty much told to go pound sand. :(