Serialized 80% lowers

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Serialized 80% lowers

Post by cdhknives »

If I have an approved form 1 for SBR to be built on a 80% receiver, shouldn't this work and be easier than taking my blank to a shop to be engraved? I am just trying to take one step out of the process...

https://www.80percentarms.com/collectio ... -compliant
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Serialized 80% lowers

Post by #40Fan »

That would work just fine. Only drawback, if you screw up the lower, you are out of the extra $$$ to get it engraved.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

^ Pretty much this.

But yeah, that would work.

THSF does really good engraving and is less than $50 altogether round trip. They've engraved a lot of my stuff. Never a problem and I have had them engrave in certain places or in certain ways depending on the piece and they have came through each time.

One example was my Integral blackout. I wanted the text to be where it timed in the 12 o'clock position once it was installed on the gun so I marked where I wanted it. It came back right where I wanted it.

Another one, I wanted the text inside the milled flutes, and certain ones at that because it was also an integral and I had already drilled and tapped for the front sights and such. It was marked with some masking tape before I boxed it up and it also came back right where I wanted it, and I'm sure they had to reposition and do each line separately, they still came through for me.
I don't care what your chart says
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

Well, maybe not...I questioned them when I saw a note on their instructions about using the 2 letter state abbreviation. Even if I spell out the city and state they will shorten it to the 2 letter abbreviation...not sure if that is a deal breaker but when I got a stencil made to eventually electroetch I spelled it out exactly as shown on my form 1...which spells out TEXAS, not TX. Dangit...I really wanted the etch before anodization and to avoid the extra shipping round trip.
Atlas 10x36
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

#40Fan wrote:That would work just fine. Only drawback, if you screw up the lower, you are out of the extra $$$ to get it engraved.
Since finishing the lower makes it a firearm which screws up the shipping, this is not really a deal breaker for me. If I had a local place to hand carry it in/out I agree 100%. The 80% lower billet is $80+, engraving is only an extra $30.
Atlas 10x36
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Abbreviating the state is allowed as long as you abbreviate it the way the gov't accepts it.

Florida and Fl have the same meaning when used in context.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/doc ... f/download
the name of the country in which
it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation
thereof)
I don't care what your chart says
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

cdhknives wrote: The 80% lower billet is $80+, engraving is only an extra $30.
Didn't realize the 80% were that much. Ignore my post... :o
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

Most are less, but I buy billet not forged because I think they look cooler...
Atlas 10x36