Advice for a Form 1 .44 Mag suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Haymaker

Advice for a Form 1 .44 Mag suppressor

Post by Haymaker »

I recently purchased a CVA Scout in .44 Mag and had the barrel cut to 16.5" and threaded. My plan is to build a Form 1 suppressor and use this for deer hunting. Most of the suppressor designs I have seen for the .44 Mag are Ruger 44/77 that are integrally suppressed. I am looking to build a direct thread .44 Mag suppressor but have not seen much posted on this topic.

My initial thoughts are something on the lines of a 11.5" tube that's 1.50" Dia with a 2.5" blast chamber, and about 13 cone baffles. I plan to have a 0.50" bore through the suppressor. I have drawn a few plans up on paper but have not put it into a CAD drawing yet.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: Advice for a Form 1 .44 Mag suppressor

Post by ECCO Machine »

Do you really want a 28" barrel on your single shot carbine?

Yeah, it'll work fairly well provided you match the cone profile and spacing well, but that's a really long can. I don't even go that long for .338 Lapua models (granted, those are 1.75" OD). You'll reach a point of diminishing returns beyond 8-9" with a cartridge like .44 mag, which maxxes out with about a 30 gr. powder charge.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Haymaker

Post by Haymaker »

ECCO Machine, thank you for the response. Yes, it is not ideal to have a 28" barrel but with the single shot firearm the chamber is closer to the buttstock than with a bolt or automatic, to the overall length would probably be similar to a bolt with a 24" barrel.

I built a Form 1 suppressor for a 300 Blackout that was 1.5" dia x 9" long with a 1.75" blast chamber and 13 cone baffles. I spaced the first 3 baffles further apart than the 10 towards the end of the suppressor. That can was really quite using subsonic loads.

I figured going from .30 Cal to .44 Ca I would need more volume and a larger blast chamber if I planned on using a 1.5" dia tube. I would like to make the tube shorter for the .44 can, but I want to make sure above all things that it is quite.

Any tips on the number of baffles and baffle spacing for a .44 Mag direct thread suppressor would be greatly appreciated. I'm very much a novice at this.

Also, would you recommend clipping the baffles for a .44 mag?

Thanks again!
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

ECCO Machine wrote:Do you really want a 28" barrel on your single shot carbine?

Yeah, it'll work fairly well provided you match the cone profile and spacing well, but that's a really long can. I don't even go that long for .338 Lapua models (granted, those are 1.75" OD). You'll reach a point of diminishing returns beyond 8-9" with a cartridge like .44 mag, which maxxes out with about a 30 gr. powder charge.
28" is the default barrel length for the TC encore. Its really not that long in a single shot action.
Also, would you recommend clipping the baffles for a .44 mag?
yes. Always yes.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Haymaker wrote: I would like to make the tube shorter for the .44 can, but I want to make sure above all things that it is quite.
Being a supersonic big bore round, it's gonna be loud compared to 300 blk subs no matter what you do.
Haymaker wrote:Any tips on the number of baffles and baffle spacing for a .44 Mag direct thread suppressor would be greatly appreciated. I'm very much a novice at this.
Not without knowing what they're gonna look like.

You need to look for cross sections of cans that were designed for some of the "smaller' big bore rounds like .458 SOCOM & .450 Bushmaster-rounds that are supersonic but nowhere near the powder capacity & velocity of .408 Cheytac, .416 Barrett, .460 Weatherby
Haymaker wrote:Also, would you recommend clipping the baffles for a .44 mag?
Absolutely.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I've seen, used and built suppressed big bores over the years. Almost everyone uses .44 specials ,45 Colt, 45 acp ,458 socom...etc because they are subsonic. I love the .44 mag but the muzzle blast even with the worlds best suppressor will be huge.

You might try a 300gr FP at about 950fps using magnum cases or use the standard .44 special . They have more than enough energy to take down a moose ,black bear or mule deer quietly & quickly with a well placed shot.

This hunting rifle build would benefit from a reflex design to shorten the OAL of the rifle. I would not want to be swinging 11 inches when 8 will do the job in style.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Haymaker

Post by Haymaker »

fishman & ECCO Machine, thanks, I will defiantly clip the baffles. My plan was to use 60 deg cone baffles.

I also planned on using .44 Special or loading a heavy subsonic .44 mag load

Capt. Link., I thought about a reflex design after I received the barrel back from the gun smith. I should have had him turn the barrel down so I could make a reflex suppressor, but it's a little too late now. It took almost 2-months for the gun smith get time to cut and thread the barrel. I do have a lathe, but I don't trust myself to do this type of work.

Again, thanks for all the great comments!
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Just do it yourself. If you mess it up, you can always buy another barrel.

Or you could do a reflex design that doesn't require barrel modification
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647