Beginner bow hunter compound bow?

Moderator: mpallett

Prada

Beginner bow hunter compound bow?

Post by Prada »

Been hunting quite a few years an always loved the idea of bow hunting so looking to get into it. I'll be shooting a RH bow, I'm 6' 200lb an fairly strong so not to worried about pull lb. Just looking to get suggestions on a good starting compound bow, maybe that is presetup so just need arrows. Looking at less then 500$ for something that is still of quality that I can grow with. Let me know if any other suggestions or tips regarding getting into compound bow hunting. Oh I hunt mainly elk and deer in the rocky mountains.
Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Beginner bow hunter compound bow?

Post by fishman »

Ive got one i'd sell. I'm 6'0" as well. Now that crossbows are legal in Michigan, I want to switch over.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Chips26

Re: Beginner bow hunter compound bow?

Post by Chips26 »

Its best to go to a bow shop and get measured for your draw length. All try out different makes of bows to see what kind of draw you prefer. Every manufacturer's bows have a unique draw style to them that (usually) go across all of their models. For instance, Matthews will draw differently than a Hoyt, same with Darton, PSE, etc. One of my buddies shoots Matthews and thats all he will ever shoot, Ive tried them and just dont like the draw, I prefer a Darton instead. Also bows have longer or shorter axle lengths (how tall it is). Shorter is easier to stalk and walk with, but less stable, longer is more stable but, less wieldy.

After you figure those out, look on craigslist, ebay, or the local sportsmans forums, youll be able to find great deals on barely used bows that are only 2-3 years old. I'm talking complete setups with arrows, rest, sighs, cases, everything, for $300-$600. (most brand new bare bows run $700+) Most of the speed chasing guys are buying new every 1-2 years and offload their old stuff cheap. Youll also find that bow tech doesnt advance much either so a bow from 10-15 years ago would about on par with todays offerings as well.

Personally I still shoot a Darton AS300 which came out in 2008. Its a hybrid 2 cam bow thats fairly short and still shoots 300 fps with heavy arrows. Its old by todays standards but still easy to shoot and kills all the same.