Has anyone had problems with aluminum end cap binding?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Roy

Has anyone had problems with aluminum end cap binding?

Post by Roy »

My AR is the common 1/2X28 but aluminum end cap doesn't seem to work. Titanium went right on with no problem. Has anyone ever encountered this before?
Also, and more importantly, is there anyone making a C tube end cap out of either stainless or titanium in 5/8X24?
Thank you
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone had problems with aluminum end cap binding?

Post by a_canadian »

Sounds like too tight a spec on the threads, nothing to do with it being aluminum. Run a known-good 1/2-28 tap through it with some A9.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. We've already tried that but for some reason it seems to happen on just the aluminum. Same thing happened on another aluminum one that's 5/8X24, hence why Im looking for a stainless or titanium one for that. They thread about halfway down then start getting tight until it wont turn anymore
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Then perhaps it's the muzzle threading that's out of spec, and you just happened to get a titanium cap which matched?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

First suggest you use Permatex Anti-Seize on threads.Prevents Aluminum=> Steel galling.

Second, after magnified inspection of threads, a light buffing with 4x Zero steel wool on threads
cleans up bad threading. Note, not for feint hearted. :)
Roy

Post by Roy »

To Canadian; Perhaps youre right, anything is possible I suppose

To Historian: Ill try your suggestion. Honestly, this even has the machinist baffled (no pun intended) at one of the suppliers. He was the one that suggested that its the aluminum that may be binding up but it was a shot in the dark.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Historian...i tried your suggestion and it worked perfectly!
Honestly I was pessimistic that it would work but I wanted to try it for process of elimination.
Thank you very much!
road_clam

Post by road_clam »

On my aluminum Griffin Rev45 handgun can I use antisieze everywhere. I had problems prior with the end cap and the booster assembly only threading on partially then binding. There's not a lot of clearance built into the male and female threads and carbon debris intrusion doesn't help. I even smear a very light coating of antisieze around the OD of the baffles so they don't seize within the external tube. I keep my can clean and lubed and all the threads engage smoothly now.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I use copper high temp anti-seize on every thread on my suppressors also including the muzzle mounts for Griffin tapers and the Rugged dual lock and the respective female attachments on the cans themselves... no more stuck suppressors n barrels...
George from Alaska
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Roy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm Historian...i tried your suggestion and it worked perfectly!
Honestly I was pessimistic that it would work but I wanted to try it for process of elimination.
Thank you very much!

Roy, I am elated that my long ago 'discovered' trick worked for you. It is amazing
how 4xZero steel wool works to smooth threads after machining. I extrapolated
this from using it on gun/pistol stocks which I learned in 1960s from seeing a master
gunsmith creating mirror finished wood stocks by using 4xZero.
He used it to apply lacquer into his rifle stocks,
smoothing wood into a seamless surface, and then the quad4 to apply Mother's Wax
to velvet finish up.

My first Herrett stocks for my 1965 S&W 41 still glow after all these years using his
technique. I have also protected my M1A1, H&R M65 stocks, etc. in similar fashion.

Getting back to machining, I finish Aluminum surfaces on lathe with quad4 dipping
in metal polish. And I also mirror finished an old Randall 1948 Model 5, 6", by
applying a slurry made from Japanese Nagura stone wet rubbed on 12,000 grit wet stone.
The deep pits still are clear in the 'katana shinny' mirror surface.

Another note for future reference that you might keep in your mental 'gun smithing kinks'.
use a mixture of 50% acetone ( use a mask, rub Kerodex 71 onto hands, and gloves!!)
and 50% transmission fluid will penetrate and loosen any rusty metal bindings, e.g.,
old receivers. It effectiveness has been measured
in literature to be orders of magnitude faster and better penetrating that even
the long ago Kroil.

Another 'kink': coat a can and baffles in DOT-5, with silicone, brake fluid. As had been mentioned
in other 'boutique' gun sites, it makes the cleaning of .22 nasty curd incredibly
easy.A stiff brush and/or plastic scraper.

Thank you for letting me know that I was of help.

Best.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Kroil is still readily available and I get it in Alaska by the pint - love the stuff but will be trying your formula and will also be trying the DOT 5 with silicone trick also. I've been shooting my suppressors wet with spray "Blitz" foamy lithium, .22 cans baffle cans with RemOil and both make everything so much easier to clean.

Gunsmith "kinks", did you buy the Brownell's book that I never did?
George from Alaska
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

gsyoung54 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:47 am Kroil is still readily available and I get it in Alaska by the pint - love the stuff but will be trying your formula and will also be trying the DOT 5 with silicone trick also. I've been shooting my suppressors wet with spray "Blitz" foamy lithium, .22 cans baffle cans with RemOil and both make everything so much easier to clean.

Gunsmith "kinks", did you buy the Brownell's book that I never did?

Yes, 1969 in fact ... for the 'exorbitant' price of $9.95.

A reward just after wild celebration at NASA ERC July 20, 1969.
May I add an eye-witness confirmation that landing was not filmed in back
lot of Disney Studio like the mythic thinking loony left are pushing. :)

At NASA HQ saw first samples of moon rock in a display case, darkened
room, spot light. Hushed admiration. All Americans thrilled and proud.
JFK's* dream came true.

In retrospect: From USA==>NASA==>Regean==>MAGA==>USA^10.

A wonderful thought before coffee. Round up some top 20 DemoNrats like
Cortes, Omar, Swill-Well, Greene, Jim Acosta, etc., and launch them to Mars. :lol:

Earned the right to be jocular and misbehave.

Best.

*JFK Democrats are today's Trump Republicans.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

That is a cool story! I've been watching the special series with the NASA guy, the FBI guy and the skeptic as they go through their investigations.
There was no faked landing, the earth is not flat and Trump is going to win almost by default...
If the current government cant keep the lid on some ICE raids that were going to happen then how the F could NASA or anyone keep the lid on everyone who would have to be involved in such a big project? It's just not humanly possible. Even Stalin knew about our Manhattan project and that was kind of a top secret sort of thing... :D
I'm going to Brownell's later today to buy more stuff I want but don't really need, as my kids keep trying to tell me... When they build and pay off their own houses and have two retirements then I may allow them to get on my case about my hobby...
George from Alaska
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

<< Back women NASA programmers 1960s >>
<< https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... 180971575/ >>

Outstanding women, white and black, whose math talent got our folks safely to the moon
and back. They should never be forgotten.

The sniveling engineers who got their degrees from 'Mississippi Sub-Normal U'
were intimidated by the brilliant women with a degree from MIT.

Real men with real math creds admired them, even though they were of course applied mathematicians (gasp)
with Marchand calculators ... no HP48SXs then. :lol:

Fan-Fold. Punch Cards. Assembling/Compiling.
Holy Bat Guano, Batman. :)

Demos at HQ of space suits, gold plated visors, ".., an electric screwdriver with
batteries!", compact brick sized video camera. And of course the specially adapted
Hasselblad Camera. 2 ¼ square copies of the shots taken were available for purchase.

"Shucks, sonny, that the way it was heading west through injun territory".

Americans where chest strutting proud. Reds were crestfallen.
MAGA!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

"...the earth is not flat":

To shoot down the math illiterate, i.e., Democrats who
believe that mankind can effect climate, the earth
is indeed flat: 'locally Euclidean' meaning in every small patch it
is flat ... zero curvature. But the total surface is
a differentiable manifold ... curved. You should
see the faces of fatuous liberals when you tell them this.
Hmmm. wonder if this is why invites to Nantucket and
the Vineyard have dried up... :lol:

Best
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

So if I cut a Mobius strip in two and it stayed as one loop they would be bug eyed amazed?
Funny. I used to have friends on Martha's Vineyard... don't hear much from them after they got a super bong...
And I don't hear much from folks on the Granola Coast (california) anymore...
George from Alaska
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

Historian, I love seeing your all your posts because there is always an extremely useful simple tip to accomplish an otherwise difficult problem. Your political, historical, or mechanical commentary always provokes research.

I can't help but to wonder if MIT isn't a colony from Isaac Asminov's "Foundation". Gauging by your title "Historian" and your level of knowledge I assume that you're actually from "The Foundation" and not just a trained "Priest" trained to run the machines that were misled about the true science behind the technology.

The Flat Earth Theorists claim that the Earth doesn't spin. Most people claim that it does spin, evidenced by toilet bowl swirling, Foucault Pendulums, long range sniper fire being affected by the spin of the Earth. Nasa Rockets fly straight up, but appear to arc because the Earth spins under the Rocket.

With your knowledge and background can you suggest a way to couple and uncouple any other objects from the spin of the Earth? Myself and the masses have to be missing something very simple if a Pendulum, water going down a drain, and bullets are affected by the Earth spinning but nothing else. Rockets can free themselves of the spin of the Earth, but no publicly known plane, bird, or balloon can.
Historian wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 am << Back women NASA programmers 1960s >>
<< https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... 180971575/ >>

Outstanding women, white and black, whose math talent got our folks safely to the moon
and back. They should never be forgotten.

The sniveling engineers who got their degrees from 'Mississippi Sub-Normal U'
were intimidated by the brilliant women with a degree from MIT.

Real men with real math creds admired them, even though they were of course applied mathematicians (gasp)
with Marchand calculators ... no HP48SXs then. :lol:

Fan-Fold. Punch Cards. Assembling/Compiling.
Holy Bat Guano, Batman. :)

Demos at HQ of space suits, gold plated visors, ".., an electric screwdriver with
batteries!", compact brick sized video camera. And of course the specially adapted
Hasselblad Camera. 2 ¼ square copies of the shots taken were available for purchase.

"Shucks, sonny, that the way it was heading west through injun territory".

Americans where chest strutting proud. Reds were crestfallen.
MAGA!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

0101_______

Your"I can't help but to wonder if MIT isn't a colony from Isaac Asminov's "Foundation*".
Gauging by your title "Historian" and your level of knowledge I assume that you're actually from
"The Foundation**"
and not just a trained "Priest" trained
to run the machines that were misled about the true science behind the technology. "

It is a joy to find another who shares Asimov. May I assume you have read
"The Illustrated Man", 1951 collection of eighteen science fiction short stories - Ray Bradbury.

A devotee of SciFi since 1945 WW2 comic books ( Great Dad happily gave 10 cents for any comic I wanted)
with stories like "The Last Martian' - A Fish that was a mathematician.

Passing note: the erudite columnist in Boston and radio, Howie Carr who gave our President
the nickname he assigned to Elisabeth Warren the name 'Pocahontas', said the he noticed
that the Hollywood liberals who bribed and paid for their low I.Q. offsprings entrance to
Stanford and Harvard, never tried to get them into MIT. :) :)

Best, keep silent ( in all senses )

* The Foundation has, like the Phantom -The Ghost Who Walks- has had over ages many Phantoms,
each descendent from previous who are entombed in the cave of skulls.

Just between us cognoscenti, no one here is listening anyway
or cares, so I can divulge inner workings of The Foundation, it reifies in
a new descendent every 80 years ... a new body was infused last year.

The MIT Beaver Ring
( << https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/h ... brass-rat/ >>
is like the Phantom's Skull Ring
{ << https://www.etsy.com/listing/713571087/ ... -1-7&pro=1>>)
, used to punch out bad science pronouncers, leaving the mark of the Beaver.
( Beavers in every sense are indeed a joy forever.) :)

If you see staggering around dumkopfs like "Bill the (pseudo) Science Guy" someday after uttering drivel on
man-made-climate change, look at the Beaver indentation in his jaw.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

0101____

Your "couple and uncouple any other objects from the spin of the Earth" is
really prescient: one really can decouple for Earth's spin:

Foucault Pendulum, << https://www.geophysik.uni-muenchen.de/o ... t-pendulum >>
or gyroscope.

With Tensor Analysis, using intrinsic derivatives, you can understand how the gyro or pendulum
is decoupled from earth. What is funny, as Prof. Dirk Jan Struik said in 1959 advanced class, it seems that
contrary to what physicists say, the gyro seems to show that space can have preferred direction. This lead to
Doc. Draper (now MIT Draper Lab) 1950s to make tiny spinning beryllium shares for gyros that were used in NASA
and rocket navigation.

Now we are seeing with stunned wonder the microscopic accelerometers in the iPhone. Brave New World.

Best.

Note on previous post: recently gave away my collection since 1955
of Sci-Fi pocket books:

e.g, Harlan Ellison, yearly collections, Spider Robinson __
who had a sign Callahan in his Cross-Time-Saloon: TIME TRAVELERS STRICTLY CASH. :) :) )

Fantastic author Vernor Steffen Vinge- "True Names":

"True Names is a 1981 science fiction novella by American writer Vernor Vinge,
a seminal work of the cyberpunk genre.
It is one of the earliest stories to present a fully fleshed-out concept of cyberspace,
which would later be central to cyberpunk.
The story also contains elements of transhumanism, anarchism, and even hints
about The Singularity.

Best,
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read Ray Bradbury. I don't know how that name escaped my search of science fiction writers and has never been recommended by other readers? Maybe its assumed that any science fiction fan would have read Ray Bradbury? I started in on Fahrenheit 451 yesterday(easiest to get), I thought that I had already read it but only saw the movie. I will have "The Illustrated Man" within a few days.

Thank you for the reading suggestions. I will look at them all.

We were clearly educated differently. In "Literature" classes in school and college we were given lists of book titles to memorize alone with a one sentence desriptions of the content and impact on society. I memorized the lists and got A's on the exams. For example I was quized on "The Jungle" since elementary school. I learned that the book was all about the poor quality of food and how "The Jungle" prompted the goverment to regulate food and now all food is inspected and clean and safe. A wise older man mentioned the book and I barely caught myself before interupting him and telling him all about it. At that moment I realized my ignorance and conditioning and starting reading...

About the pendulums and gyroscopes... Thanks for the references. I will be experimenting soon. If I'm as smart as I think I am I'll figure it out.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I went back to Bradbury a few years ago, curious to revisit his work along with that of a few other authors in SF I'd last read as a young teen. Read through a few books and a dozen or so short stories and was left wondering what the heck I saw in RB. His concepts were at moments brilliant, but the execution was generally dreary, though avoiding the maudlin excesses of Heinlein at least. LeGuin holds up very nicely, as does Ellison, but Niven, Pournelle, Asimov, and a few others now leave me puzzled more than anything, as to just why these weak authors held me in such thrall. Escapism I suppose. Wyndham still grabs me though. And from later on Gibson still offers some decent entertainment.
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

A_Canadian. Not an exact quote but I remember Kurt Vonnegut saying similar to "The ideas are excellent but the prose is terrible." in reference to author Kilgore Trout.

Science fiction books entertain and spark ideas. The Flatlander series is "ok" but the ideas are excellent. Larry Niven never intended to make a sequel to The Ringworld. He received an incredible amount of fan mail by people that thought it was an actual proposed engineering project. He was heckled by MIT students at a Sci-Fi convention "The Ringworld is unstable". He was forced to write a sequel with technical improvements.

After reading some of the best selling SciFi books I'm convinced that my ideas may be good enough to make my writing style tolerable.
Grandpamagnum

Post by Grandpamagnum »

YOU GUYS ARE A "TOTAL HOOT"
I read all 22 posts thinking I would at least read one where someone chucked it up in a lathe, then applied a little heat from a butane torch and twisted it off with a crescent wrench..... well, Miss Kitty, you fooled me with that one...
Kidding side, I did enjoy some of the mathematical nuances, and even more the Sci Fi interpolations.... Thanks guys.