New cat on the block.....

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Joel45acp

New cat on the block.....

Post by Joel45acp »

So, I’m a new member of this sight and I must say, I’ve found a ton of info moving forward on my F1 build and I’ve enjoyed seeing some rather handy work from some of you gents. I do have some questions about my build so please pardon my inexperience in this field. I’m currently gathering my supply list for a 30cal can which will be used on a Remmy 300blkout bolt gun with both supers and subs. It might see some slight use on a 16” 6.8SPCII AR platform. My current thought is an 8”x1.5”(D size)Ti tube with a Ti thread protector and an Al end cap. The internals would be either stainless cups, stainless freeze plugs or Ti cups. Do you gents think I would have enough volume with the tube mentioned to achieve adequate suppression? Thanks for your input and excited to join the quiet thunder crowd. God Bless
Joel C

Jeremiah 29:11
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: New cat on the block.....

Post by poikilotrm »

That is around the volume of a lot of commercial cans. How thick is the end cap? Al will need to be a bit stouter than steel.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Certainly. 1.5" x 8"-9" is pretty much the sweet spot for a .30 rifle can. My two production .30 models are Valkyrie (1.5" x 8") and Furtivus (1.5" x 9"). You'll find that most other manufacturers have one or more .30 model in that size range.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

poikilotrm wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:59 am That is around the volume of a lot of commercial cans. How thick is the end cap? Al will need to be a bit stouter than steel.
Would it be your recommendation that I’d go either carbon steel, SS or Ti for the end cap as opposed to a 6061 Al cap? I’m thinking of utilizing 10 to 12 freeze plugs with spacers in between. I was also considering the high wall freeze plugs thus avoiding the spacers in between the plugs for the most part. I believe the high wall plugs measure approximately 0.75” thus allowing me to utilize 10 in my tube. Does that sound adequate? Thanks again for any insight. God Bless
Joel C

3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

why did you choose freeze plugs over turning your own?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Steel beats Ti and Al for an end cap.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

3strucking wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 pm why did you choose freeze plugs over turning your own?
I don’t have the proper tools( lathe, mill etc) to turn my own so I’m left with what’s commercially available.
Joel C

Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

poikilotrm wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:46 pm Steel beats Ti and Al for an end cap.
You’re referring to carbon steel correct? Steel caps would lower my overall cost by quite a bit too. Thanks for the insight sir.
Joel C

3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

You could use valve spring retainers instead of freeze plugs. You can get them in titanium and chrome moly and should outlast freeze plugs.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Joel45acp wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 pm
poikilotrm wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:46 pm Steel beats Ti and Al for an end cap.
You’re referring to carbon steel correct? Steel caps would lower my overall cost by quite a bit too. Thanks for the insight sir.
Think of the end cap as a final baffle, but it cannot move, so all stress encountered by the cap is absorbed by the tube, the threads, and the cap itself.