Booster on a fixed barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bearchills

Booster on a fixed barrel

Post by bearchills »

I always read that you need to swap the booster spring for a spacer whenever you put your suppressor on a fixed barrel host.
I know why the booster is necessary on pistols where the barrel tilts. I used to read that beretta 92s didn't require a booster, but lately when I look, most people say even those guns still need one.
What I'm trying to find is legitimate evidence that using a booster assembly on a fixed barrel actually does have ther potential to damage the can or gun in some way.

To be clear, I'm not saying I doubt that it can cause damage. I'm just looking to find first hand experience of it happening.
Maybe my googling skills are poor lately, but I can't find a single instance of damage actually being caused from using a booster assembly on a fixed barrel.

The reason I bring it up is because I have a buddy who shoots a gemtech gm-9 on pistols and his scorpion evo a Lot, and he's never swapped out or changed the booster assembly when going between fixed and non fixed barrels. He says he's never had any issues.

Any Solid input is appreciated
SILENCERSTUDENT

Re: Booster on a fixed barrel

Post by SILENCERSTUDENT »

i cant see how leaving the booster on the can would hurt anything
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

It is the ability to rapid fire on a fixed barrel that I believe is the reason.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

People say that the can will move slightly forward during firing due to the gases hitting the blast baffle. The spring then slams the silencer back to the rear. Since the barrel is rigid and the gun has so much inertia, this can cause damage to the threads on the barrel and piston when the can slams to the rear. I have no firsthand experience with this.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

When shooting with a booster on fixed barrel guns, I have seen 1 single baffle / endcap strike online which was probably due to that (though I wasn't there and maybe not - I wouldn't say with certainty) but the biggest complaint seems to be general inaccuracy resulting from it.

And if there is inaccuracy, that's bad because something is amiss.
I don't care what your chart says
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

Let me ask this of you all; I've heard the idea that it jackhammers the threads on ther barrel, but do you think it could do a similar thing to the threads on parts of the can?
I ask because I wonder if this could have anything to do with the trouble he's had trying to take the suppressor apart. I think it's moe likely just super dirty grin practically never being cleaned, and ther carbon buildup just has the thing very stuck. But I wondered if it could be a contributing cause.
TornadoTechnologies

Post by TornadoTechnologies »

As others mentioned, the suppressor will keep banging into the end of the barrel and is not good for either the barrel or the suppressor.
I've personally seen someone forget to disable the booster on a suppressor and have it completely cracking the trunnion out of an M11/9 SMG. It completely separated the trunnion and it fell out of the gun. I immediately told the shooter what I though caused the problem and they vehemently denied forgetting to change the spring out for the fixed spacer. On inspection they discovered they were wrong and had accidentally left it in.

I've also seen a Colt 9mm SMG where the threads snapped off of the end of the barrel from the same thing.

Now admittedly these were SMG's so they're operating under high heat. The higher the heat, the lower the strength of material (at least for barrel steels).
Tornado Technologies
[email protected]
(503) 690-8000