Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Post by Hard_ware »

Same here, stepped up from a 7x10 mini lathe. So no experience with other lathes.
I wanted the larger diameter pass thru didn’t need a longer lathe as suppressors and flashlights are what I plan to use it for.
NRA Life Member
SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter »

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the delay in my post. There was a lot going on with the Lathe when I got it. the cover plate was damaged and the motor was, in fact, not brushless. While taking it apart, I shorted out something on the speed control board and I can't get the motor to spin anymore. It totally worked when I got it. I bought a new 4.7K POT, because I think that may be the culprit. The Tachometer display is ferged up as well. It doesn't show numbers anymore, so I've been trying to find a 5V DC Tach to replace it... no dice. Anyhow, here are some pics:

#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Did you check the fuse on the back side just above the power cord?
SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter »

I did, yeah. Fuse is good. I actually just rigged it up here at work with a new POT and something is seriously wrong here. I think it may be the forward/reverse switch, because I get voltage metering everywhere except to the motor terminals on the F/R switch. Also, the tach no longer displays numbers. Just a blank screen (the blue backlight still works though). I also dabbled a little with the MOSFETs, but that didn't change anything. Sucks. Looks like I'll have to get a another F/R switch...
SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter »

So I said to hell with the original motor control system. I followed this guy's DC motor controller on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/3z3jLfe65yU

The list of all the parts he uses is in his description. The links are to the Australian Ebay site, so just copy the posting name and search for the exact same part on the USA Ebay site. Literally found every single identical part from a US shipper. Way faster...

Anyway, I'll take some pics once the parts come in and I wire everything up. While I wait for the parts to come, I'm going to buy one of those HF parts washing tanks and clean the piss out of the cross and compound slides. The gears and the ways could use some TLC as well.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

Will you use a treadmill motor like the OZ conversion?
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

If you're swapping motors, let me know. I'd be interested in having a spare.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Sum-bitch. Ask about having your motor if you're swapping them out and my front bearing in my motor started making noise today. I can probably blame it on myself since I tensioned the s--t out of the belt when I had one roll on me a while back. That and I'm sure it is a cheap bearing.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to take it apart and get a part number to order a new bearing some time soon.
SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter »

Hi Guys,

I want to first apologize for going dark for 6 months. I just had a LOT of other shop projects to knock out before I could get back into fixing up this lathe. So, quick update:

1) I found out that the motor shaft on my motor was BENT, which lead to a wobbly ass time whenever I turned it on. Solution, I got a treadmill off FB marketplace for $20 and pulled out the 1.75 HP DC motor. Yeah... this baby is strong AF.

2) I followed the Aussie Shed motor controller video and Lo and behold, IT WORKS! the only thing I did differently was I added a smoothing capacitor to my circuit in order to held prevent any DC peaks from messing with the motor performance.

3) I am currently in the process of welding up a new motor mount and also fitting some taper lock timing pulleys to both the motor shaft and the spindle (I'm replacing the little aluminum V-belt pullies that it came with because my tensioning system was also total s--t right out of the box.

I will post pictures once I figure out where I'm going with these modifications. I've got a couple of different options in how I can fab it up so I need to tinker and see which is the best option for this Lathe.

#40Fan, given the news about the bent motor shaft, I assume you don't want it? If you still do though, you can have it. Also, I saw that video of the 1.5 HP milling maching from HF (the green one). Dude i was thinking about buying that EXACT same milling machine. Do you like it? Has it held up well?
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Yeah, I'd still take the motor. Shoot me a PM an I'll pay shipping if you're willing to get rid of it.

My mill gets used close to every other day. Granted, 95% of it is just drilling small holes and running a spiral tap, but I have been very pleased with it for everything else I have needed it to do.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Updated the gear threading chart with printed gears needed to get 0% error. First chart I posted needed a longer banjo to work. This one works with the one that comes with the lathe. Without a threading dial cutting imperial threads on this lathe is best not to disengage nut. Back out of cut and reverse lathe back to starting point. With metric threads most pitches you can engage the nut anytime while in the thread so reversing is not needed.
Parting in reverse with tool upside down works great. I just cut a long spacer with a keyway slot into thin washers to shim the change gears.
I will post ready to print gears on thingiverse in the next few days if anyone wants to print some.

Thingiverse link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4415664
Last edited by Hard_ware on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member
mcr85

Post by mcr85 »

Hard_ware wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:12 am Updated the gear threading chart with printed gears needed to get 0% error. First chart I posted needed a longer banjo to work. This one works with the one that comes with the lathe. Without a threading dial cutting imperial threads on this lathe is best not to disengage nut. Back out of cut and reverse lathe back to starting point. With metric threads most pitches you can engage the nut anytime while in the thread so reversing is not needed.
Parting in reverse with tool upside down works great. I just cut a long spacer with a keyway slot into thin washers to shim the change gears.
I will post ready to print gears on thingiverse in the next few days if anyone wants to print some.

Thingiverse link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4415664
I've tried PMing you but they don't seem to be going through. They are stuck in my outbox and I'm not sure if you've seen them or not. Would you be interested in printing and selling some gears for this lathe? Please let me know!
Thanks
Marcus
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

I just checked the forum and responded to your pm.
I found another gear ratio program and simplified the chart.
Only gears needed are a 34 tooth and a 56 tooth.
No charge for the gears, just pay shipping.
You will need to clean up bore and keyway on the nylon gears.

56 spindle gear on the headstock

.5mm thread pitch
40 xx
84 30
xx 80

The 40 gear doesn’t count as it’s just an idling gear connecting the spindle to the 84 gear .
Now first gear on the left side is the spindle 56 not shown but never changes different lathes use different ones, then 40 is an idler gear (space filler), then the 84 gear, this completes the left side. 56 spindle-40 idler-80 divider
the rt side 30 divider, connected to the 80 divider on the lead screw.

Here is the formula to calculate the tpi or pitch.
Let’s do the .5mm
Spindle gear is 56 / 84 x 30 / 80 = .25 ratio Notice how the 40 isn't used in the calculation.

Now you take the ratio you just calculated .25 x the lead screw your lathe uses ours use a 2mm per rev = .5mm thread pitch.
.25 ratio x 2mm lead screw =.5mm per rev

To get TPI you take 25.4 / pitch. Conversion from metric to imperial divide by 25.4
.5mm pitch = to 50.8 TPI this will be the number of rotations the chuck makes per 1 inch travel of lead screw.
Last edited by Hard_ware on Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member
jcmullis2

Post by jcmullis2 »

Hello to everyone. I’m a fng and came across this while looking for solutions to a problem with my new mini lathe. I have the wm210v-g 8.7x31” with the 38mm spindle bore.
Like the other guys said, it came covered in grease and grime. I tried to half ass the cleaning because I was intimidated by thought of disassembly. However it’s not as bad as I was thinking. There’s a few good YouTube videos on this and it helps familiarize one with everything on the lathe. It’s actually a much nicer piece of equipment once it’s clean and everything is straight and tightened up.
The first real problem that I’ve found is threading. I wanted to thread a barrel and my threading charts are for a different lathe. I suppose they needed to use up the old manuals and change gear covers before using the ones with correct threading charts or they’re playing a cruel joke on the consumers.
I see others have experienced threading problems but have figured it out. I believe the chart by “hard_core” will solve the problems but I don’t have a 34t or 72t gears. If anyone can print them I’d be happy to take care of all the expenses. I’d like to understand how the Little Machine Shops gear calculators 4 gear configurations translate to the 5 gear and spacer setup on this lathe.
I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping someone see’s it and will help me out if they can. Other than the threading chart problem it a damn good mini lathe.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/files/changejs.zip

Download this program, extract it, and add lathe, and set it up like I have posted pic's pages back in this thread.

This will calculate gears.

For 24TPI 28TPI and 1mm.

I use some printed combo gears so no need to calculate.

24 tpi the middle gear combo is a printed 41/31 gear

56/41 x 31/80=.52926829 x 2mm lead screw = 1.05853659 metric to inch 25.4 / 1.05853659= 23.99539 tpi
84 gear not used in calculation it's just a idler/spacer gear

84 xx
41 31
xx 80

28 tpi middle gear printed combo 36/21

56/36 x 21/72= .453703703703704 x 2mm lead screw = .907407407407407 metric to inch 25.4/.90707407407= 27.991836 tpi

84 xx
36 21
xx 72

1mm middle gear printed combo 28/20

56/28 x 20/80= .5 x 2mm lead screw = 1mm thread pitch

84 xx
28 20
xx 80

The middle gears are a printed set just put them in and done, no spacers needed.
You need to loosen the bolts to slide the gears to make contact with each other.
Use a folded piece of paper to give gears a little space between them so they turn with ease.
If you need any other thread pitch post what you need I can calculate it.
Last edited by Hard_ware on Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

jcmullis2 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:24 pm Hello to everyone. I’m a fng and came across this while looking for solutions to a problem with my new mini lathe. I have the wm210v-g 8.7x31” with the 38mm spindle bore.
Like the other guys said, it came covered in grease and grime. I tried to half ass the cleaning because I was intimidated by thought of disassembly. However it’s not as bad as I was thinking. There’s a few good YouTube videos on this and it helps familiarize one with everything on the lathe. It’s actually a much nicer piece of equipment once it’s clean and everything is straight and tightened up.
The first real problem that I’ve found is threading. I wanted to thread a barrel and my threading charts are for a different lathe. I suppose they needed to use up the old manuals and change gear covers before using the ones with correct threading charts or they’re playing a cruel joke on the consumers.
I see others have experienced threading problems but have figured it out. I believe the chart by “hard_core” will solve the problems but I don’t have a 34t or 72t gears. If anyone can print them I’d be happy to take care of all the expenses. I’d like to understand how the Little Machine Shops gear calculators 4 gear configurations translate to the 5 gear and spacer setup on this lathe.
I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping someone see’s it and will help me out if they can. Other than the threading chart problem it a damn good mini lathe.

post the gears you have and threads you want to cut and i can calculate what's needed.
NRA Life Member