What if Sandy had been a more powerful storm?What if Sandy had been a more powerful storm?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

alidayvn

What if Sandy had been a more powerful storm?What if Sandy had been a more powerful storm?

Post by alidayvn »

Has anyone wondered what kind of damage and loss of life there would have been if Sand had been a powerful storm? Most all the damage was from the storm surge (record setting that it was) and flooding but very little wind damage. Imagine if Sandy had been a Cat 3 like Katrina was, or stronger.

I'm thinking of all the people that were on a second story or above that did not evacuate because they were going to be above the water and didn't worry about it. Had Sandy been a Cat 3 or better their building would have been knocked down and blown into bits.

I'm also reminded of a Cat 4 (cannot remember the name) that went into Houston when I was a young teen. It quite literally rained glass in downtown Houston for an hour. Every skyscraper in Houston had EVERY window blown out of it on two sides. Can you imagine that happening in New York City?

Things could have been much worse.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: What if Sandy had been a more powerful storm?What if Sandy had been a more powerful storm?

Post by poikilotrm »

I am not being a jackass when I ask this: So, what's your point?

I went through Luis in St. Martin. I was on Point Pirouette, which was hardest hit. 90% of the housing on the island was destroyed or unlivable, including mine. All I had was the clothes on my back, my passport, my wallet, and my 88" Land Rover, which I miss to this day. That thing went through three hurricanes and a volcanic eruption, but I digress.

I am from coastal Louisiana, so I have been through a storm or two. I have been in the aformentioned volcanic eruption. I have been through floods, civil unrest, and in combat zones. The ground might swallow you up at any moment. Disease might wipe us out, etc, etc etc.

Last night I did something impossibly stupid that should have gotten me seriously injured, if not killed, but nothing bad happened.

What if, what if... S**t happens, but mostly, it doesn't.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.